EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: ROCK BAND HOLY SHIT
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-11-2007 11:38:17 PM
quote:
During the Electronic Arts conference today, Rock Band developer Harmonix dropped a small bomb - several, actually.

Thanks to the partnership with MTV Games, Rock Band will be able to offer a huge number of songs through the Xbox Live Marketplace. Thousands, to be more precise. Harmonix CEO Alex Rigopoulos said that there will be a new batch of songs to download every week after the game is released.

To facilitate this, a Rock Band advisory committee has been created. The committee will include some celebrity musicians, and their job will be to decide on songs that should be added. Steven Van Zandt will be one of the musicians on the panel.

A majority of the songs will likely be classic/well-known older stuff, but music from indie bands will apparently also be included in these updates (just how much isn't clear). According to Rigopoulos, "Rock Band is not just a game or a title, it's a platform for delivering and exploring music in a new way."

Additionally, Harmonix announced that full albums will be released as DLC for Rock Band. The first album to go up will be The Who's famous Who's Next album. That includes the following songs:

"Baba O'Riley"
"Bargain"
"Love Ain't for Keepin'"
"My Wife"
"The Song Is Over"
"Getting in Tune"
"Going Mobile"
"Behind Blue Eyes"
"Won't Get Fooled Again"

Harmonix also announced seven of the songs that will ship on the game disc (* indicates a cover)

Stone Temple Pilots - "Vaseline"
The Strokes - "Reptilia"
Queens of the Stone Age - "Go With the Flow"
Bon Jovi - "Wanted Dead or Alive"
*Foo Fighters - "Learn to Fly
*The Ramones - "Rockaway Beach
*Rush - "Tom Sawyer"
Metallica - "Enter Sandman" (it's not known whether this is a master track or a cover)

Wait, what's that last one? Oh yes, a little group called Metallica. Rigopoulos says Harmonix will be releasing a "substantial amount of tracks" by Metallica. That should make fans happy.

For reference, here's the list of songs we knew about already (* indicates the song is a cover):

The Who - "Won't Get Fooled Again"
David Bowie - "Suffragette City"
Blue Oyster Cult - "Don't Fear the Reaper"
Nirvana - "In Bloom"
Weezer - "Say It Ain't So"
The Hives - "Main Offender"
*Black Sabbath - "Paranoid"
*Mountain - "Mississippi Queen"

nem-x
posted 07-11-2007 11:39:31 PM
if this game is multiplayer i will get it
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-11-2007 11:39:50 PM
well then you are getting it
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-11-2007 11:45:40 PM
I was kinda iffy about it before, but seriouly guys.

jesus christ

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-11-2007 11:52:50 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Mr. Gainsborough:
I was kinda iffy about it before

why

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-11-2007 11:55:17 PM
quote:
Verily, Kegwen doth proclaim:
why

Seemed like a dumb gimmick. I mean, I knew it was gonna be fun and that I was gonna buy it, but I didn't expect it to be anything more than Guitar Hero EX.

But well, they sure shat in my mouth and it came right out when I read that article. All over everywhere.

But, I guess blind optimism isn't always a good thing. Especially when it comes to wild claims like this. If they go through with this though, it will make them a disgusting amount of money.

Mr. Gainsborough fucked around with this message on 07-11-2007 at 11:59 PM.

Gadani
U
posted 07-12-2007 12:22:24 AM
how much is this shit gonna cost
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-12-2007 12:31:10 AM
who cares i have money take it harmonix
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-12-2007 12:31:34 AM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
who cares i have money take it harmonix

this is the right answer

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-12-2007 01:03:35 AM
Also these 20gb hard drives are going to run out of space really quickly
Skaw
posted 07-12-2007 01:08:13 AM
Hopefully it comes out around the same time as the hardware changes. I'll just exchange for an elite for the larger drive instead of buying it for $100 more than its going for now.
Malbi
posted 07-12-2007 03:03:32 AM
was pretty funny watching Peter Moore play on stage.
I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 07-12-2007 05:28:04 AM
God dammit, not only do they take one of RUSH's shittiest songs, but they make it a COVER of one of RUSH's shittiest songs.

Is it so hard to find good songs by RUSH? Jesus Christ, Guitar Hero did it...

Greenlit
posted 07-12-2007 08:22:52 AM
quote:
Mooj had this to say about Duck Tales:
God dammit, not only do they take one of RUSH's shittiest songs, but they make it a COVER of one of RUSH's shittiest songs.

You're retarded.

And no price has been announced yet, but $179 - $199 for game + all peripherals is the sweet spot.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 07-12-2007 08:37:23 AM
I'm buying it the day it's released.
Steven Steve
posted 07-12-2007 09:01:47 AM
Why would you spend $1000 on a game where you use toddler toys to pretend you are in a rock band when you could spend $1000 on rentals and become a real rock band
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-12-2007 10:38:16 AM
quote:
Mooj probably says this to all the girls:

Tom Sawyer is a fucking amazing song.

Why are you trying so hard to find something negative in this?

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 07-12-2007 02:54:19 PM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about John Romero:
You're retarded.

And no price has been announced yet, but $179 - $199 for game + all peripherals is the sweet spot.

True, but if you aren't playing with friends in your area, you don't need to drop the 100-120 bucks on the drumset, mic and seperate bass guitar, as all of this (I'm assuming) can go online, right?

Greenlit
posted 07-12-2007 02:58:38 PM
They are reasonable people. You'll be able to buy as much or as little of the equipment as you want.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-12-2007 03:09:14 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Delphi Aegis:
True, but if you don't have friends..

fixed

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 07-12-2007 03:46:51 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough attempted to be funny by writing:
fixed

Ow, my ego.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 07-12-2007 06:22:06 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Mr. Gainsborough said this:
Tom Sawyer is a fucking amazing song.

Why are you trying so hard to find something negative in this?

As a longtime fan of RUSH, I can tell you in no uncertain terms that if I had the choice between listening to Tom Sawyer once, while doing anything else conceivable in the world that I wanted, including having a mindblowing threesome with Carmen Electra AND Catherine Zeta Jones, or having my gums scraped by a fatass whale-woman of a dentist who is topless and sweaty, I'd sit right down in that dentist's chair and open wide.

Rock band looks sweet as hell, but Tom Sawyer is a shit song and there are dozens of better songs by RUSH that could be put in its place. I can think of four songs off its album that would be a better choice.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-12-2007 06:48:25 PM
nobody cares

I'll buy the Rock Band + guitar pack and then eventually pick up the drumset thing. Don't care about the mic and I can presumably use my GH2 360 guitar if I want a friend to play the bass parts. I'm also assuming the Rock Band guitar will work for GH3 so I won't have to buy that ugly controller that Activision is trying to sell us

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-12-2007 06:51:06 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Kegwen!
nobody cares

I'll buy the Rock Band + guitar pack and then eventually pick up the drumset thing. Don't care about the mic and I can presumably use my GH2 360 guitar if I want a friend to play the bass parts. I'm also assuming the Rock Band guitar will work for GH3 so I won't have to buy that ugly controller that Activision is trying to sell us

You don't like the Les Paul? I thought the Double Cutaway bass style one for PS2 was

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-12-2007 06:54:19 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough thought about the meaning of life:
You don't like the Les Paul? I thought the Double Cutaway bass style one for PS2 was

I like the Strat a lot more, at least. Even if I did like the Les Paul more, it'd be silly to buy the GH3 one and not the Rock Band seeing as the GH3 one is missing the extra 5 buttons. If I can buy one guitar that will work with both games, which is presumably only the Rock Band one, then I'd prefer to do that. I already have my wired guitar from GH2, so I only need one more.

I'm talking all 360 here, by the way.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 07-12-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 07-13-2007 12:00:14 AM
quote:
Mooj had this to say about pies:

YYZ is by far one of the worst of their library (And mainly only good for Drums and Bass anyway), so can't really mention that. Tom Sawyer was just overplayed, but far from bad. In fact, barring some early 80's experimental stuff, you can't find much bad with Rush.

I'd have personally chosen "Nobody's Hero", but I can deal with Tom Sawyer. Good song. There are far shittier songs on the games lineup than that one.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
nem-x
posted 07-13-2007 12:36:55 AM
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 07-13-2007 01:45:03 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when nem-x wrote:
200bux screw that

you did it wrong

its :20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux:

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 07-13-2007 02:57:54 AM
quote:
This one time, at Faelynn LeAndris camp:
YYZ is by far one of the worst of their library (And mainly only good for Drums and Bass anyway), so can't really mention that. Tom Sawyer was just overplayed, but far from bad. In fact, barring some early 80's experimental stuff, you can't find much bad with Rush.

I'd have personally chosen "Nobody's Hero", but I can deal with Tom Sawyer. Good song. There are far shittier songs on the games lineup than that one.

I'll argue about YYZ, but not to any great extent. I used to loathe it, then I saw it live. It totally changed my opinion of the song. I can certainly understand why people don't like it. I felt that their introducing it for GH2 was well-played if only because of the massive bass part.

The same can't be said for Tom Sawyer. It's over-played, it hasn't got much variety to the music, and the vocals are eardrum-scratchingly bad.

I can absolutely agree about "Nobody's Hero", though I'd personally prefer "The Spirit of Radio" myself. If you're going to go for the over-played songs, go for the good ones.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-13-2007 09:59:50 AM
if they live up to their promise you'll probably get a lot of other Rush songs via DLC anyway
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-13-2007 10:02:20 AM
who cares about rush I get to play like 10 Who songs

Baba O'Riley!

Blackened
posted 07-13-2007 10:12:28 AM
Rush elitists itt

The game will be great, especially if they go through with their highly ambitious online delivery plans.

edit - hahaha

Blackened fucked around with this message on 07-13-2007 at 10:15 AM.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
nem-x
posted 07-13-2007 05:51:12 PM
on the next, deadliest catch
Maradon!
posted 07-14-2007 05:33:41 AM
I am not interested in Rock Band.

Your trend has officially been bucked.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-14-2007 10:41:11 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Maradon! wrote:
I am not interested in Rock Band.

Your trend has officially been bucked.

Nobody cares.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-15-2007 04:57:41 PM

japanese do it better

just sayin

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-15-2007 05:38:21 PM
Harmonix wanted it to be compact and able to fit on a coffee table or whatever when necessary
Blackened
posted 07-15-2007 05:47:43 PM
quote:
Kegwen.
Harmonix wanted it to be compact and able to fit on a coffee table or whatever when necessary
I'm sure some crazy faggots will mod the Harmonix drum set anyway. God knows they went to some pretty extreme lengths with the original Guitar Hero guitars.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 07-15-2007 05:52:33 PM
This is just an actual arcade style drum set which might as well be playing on the real thing because the spacing/drums are identical. It's obviously not for casual players or people who are gonna want it to be compact. And it's apparantly easy to disassemble and reassemble so that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to ship (it's already gonna cost the first one of each that you got, so that would leave you with nothing to play with ).

Shit, it's not even made by Konami. They only make the shitty red and black one you see off to the right in the picture. This one is made by a crazy chinese dude who specializes in this kind of thing.

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 07-16-2007 08:06:27 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
True, but if you aren't playing with friends in your area, you don't need to drop the 100-120 bucks on the drumset, mic and seperate bass guitar, as all of this (I'm assuming) can go online, right?

On G4, it was stated that it would be XBOX Live enabled and you can join other players online and fill in for instruments they need.

http://www.bloodfin.net
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: