EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Virus protection
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 07-05-2007 06:39:30 PM
What is the best protection that is still reasonably affordable?

Right now, I have symantec... Dunno if its all that great but anyone in the military gets it for free for home PCs. I have had a few viruses get by it though, and when I get my new computer, I want to be a little safer.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-05-2007 07:29:06 PM
avast!

The only virus protection you will ever need. Free to download and use for private use.

Steven Steve
posted 07-05-2007 07:36:35 PM
Virus protection is a myth, like brushing your teeth
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Cherveny
Papaya
posted 07-05-2007 10:01:38 PM
I used to use Symantec, but switched to McAffee after having various techincal issues with their products and, after checking online, seeing that the issues I was having were not all that uncommon. (For instance, 3 things I ran into were: Incompatibilities with certain software, automatically sensing some of my critical apps as viruses and removing them, getting it's antivirus component locked up so badly that the only way to repair the anti-virus software was a complete uninstall and reinstall). To be fair though, I've heard of people having similar types of situations with Mcaffee, but I've yet to run into them.

I know that there are a number of good free virus scanners out there, but it's been a while since I looked for em, so don't have any current links I'm afraid.

Skaw
posted 07-05-2007 10:35:06 PM
The best and cheapest? Well, Avast is free, but knowing what and what not to do doesn't require installation time.

p.s. I use Avast, even though I haven't seen it detect a single thing yet. Which is good I guess.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 07-06-2007 03:04:47 AM
Check out Kaspersky; it's a cleaner install than Symantic, and does a bit better catching things, according to some tests.

Frankly, though, the difference between Norton and others isn't particularly significant. If cost is an issue, you're as well off simply keeping Norton.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 07-09-2007 05:48:06 PM
I use freebies too..

Avast is good and so is AVG

AVG Freeware Download

Kaglaaz How'ler fucked around with this message on 07-09-2007 at 05:49 PM.

http://www.bloodfin.net
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 07-09-2007 06:02:18 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Kaglaaz How'ler:
I use freebies too..

Avast is good and so is AVG

AVG Freeware Download

I had forgotten about AVG. I've used it in the past on my laptop, till it's HD crashed. It worked quite well.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 07-10-2007 12:54:19 PM
Just a brief warning: do not have two antivirus programs installed & active at the same time. Whenever anyone I know has tried that, the two antivirus programs have conflicted and caused massive system problems.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: