EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: New Game
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 06-17-2007 11:43:58 PM
So I'm looking for a new game to play on my PC. I was thinking of something a bit older (6months +), aka, cheaper. I had thought to play NWN2 because I enjoyed the first, but I recall someone here mentioning that the end of the game was lacking. I'm partial to RPGs but am open to suggestions as well.

Thanks guys/gals. I hope your day goes well.

oh, and I got a new job for the summer. Trying to break into one of the local governments out here in Orygun. I'm a road inspector. That's the guy who works for the county who stands on the side of the road and tells the contractor, "don't do that." ... if anyone cares

Norim Stumpfighter fucked around with this message on 06-17-2007 at 11:44 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-17-2007 11:57:09 PM
NWN2 is much better than NWN. The dialogue and plot from Bioware is always great, but everything else is pretty limited. The controls are a little sluggish and the combat is pretty slow. If you don't mind that, there's no reason you couldn't have fun with it. After playing stuff like God of War, it was kind of boring to me.
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 06-18-2007 12:05:17 AM
any other rpg or strat game you might suggest for PC?
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 06-18-2007 03:08:40 AM
NWN2 is the best PC-RPG I have played in a long time. Since KotoR II basically.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-18-2007 03:27:15 AM
If you can deal with the god awful camera and, as parce mentioned, sluggish controls, NWN2 could be fun.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-18-2007 03:28:59 AM
If you don't mind slower-paced games, then NWN2 is tons of fun, yeah. But if you're looking for RPGs, you're probably used to that, anyway.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-18-2007 08:26:06 AM
NWN2 is great.

Except for the shittiest last chapter and ending in game history.

Tarquinn
posted 06-18-2007 08:28:30 AM
The last dungeon was a bit boring (the 20 Minutes you need to go through it), I agree. But other than that I do not see your problem with it. At all.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-18-2007 08:32:01 AM
We saved the world!

Now we're dead.

Wait.. OR ARE WE?

How will Batman get out of this calamity this time? DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUN. *screen spins out*

Tarquinn
posted 06-18-2007 08:33:20 AM
That's your whole problem?!
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-18-2007 08:35:09 AM
I just hate unresolutioned endings. Makes me feel like there was absolutely no fucking point to playing the damn game in the first place.

Felt like a cop-out.

Also the ending cinematic is voiced over by one of the developers because they ran out of money. lawlz.

Tarquinn
posted 06-18-2007 08:40:53 AM
That's probably because the story of the shard-bearer main-character continues in the add-on. But I loved how the ending explained what for effects your actions had on the people you have met and the land.

Also, I have heard that the evil-ending is better. I'll find out soon.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 06-18-2007 at 08:41 AM.

Maradon!
posted 06-18-2007 08:41:50 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Mortious who doth quote:
I just hate unresolutioned endings. Makes me feel like there was absolutely no fucking point to playing the damn game in the first place.

Felt like a cop-out.

Fucking tell me about it. I just beat Halo 2 a couple days ago and christ, I wanted to spit in the face of the cashier that rang it up for me for having the gall to accept my money for such a half-finished piece of shit.

"I'm finishing this fight!"

*credits*

I actually played through the first 3 stages on legendary under the blind assumption that you had to play it on that setting to see the "real" ending before I looked it up on the internet.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 06-18-2007 at 08:46 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-18-2007 08:53:24 AM
Ah Mara, that's what I like to call a "sequel ending". It -forces- fanbois to buy the next game just to find out what happens. Like baiting a hook, all the little fishies have no choice but to be reeled in.

Those are even worse than non-resolution endings. No one makes a game just to make a game anymore, it's all about the franchise. Fuckers.

That's why I am so excited about Overlord. Looks like finally someone is making a game just for the enjoyment of being a standalone game. Although Codemasters is one of the old-school game developers so I'd expect that from them. Go Codemasters.

Maradon!
posted 06-18-2007 09:13:45 AM
On the contrary, pulling a Matrix: Reloaded with halo 2 made me lose most of my faith in bungee.
Blackened
posted 06-18-2007 10:25:03 AM
quote:
Maradon!.
On the contrary, pulling a Matrix: Reloaded with halo 2 made me lose most of my faith in bungee.
Nevermind the fact that Halo and Halo 2 are both completely mediocre FPS games in all aspects, and completely undeserving of the amount of attention and fans it gets.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-18-2007 12:02:44 PM
quote:
Blackened had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Nevermind the fact that Halo and Halo 2 are both completely mediocre FPS games in all aspects, and completely undeserving of the amount of attention and fans it gets.

But all the frat boys play it so its cool

Skaw
posted 06-18-2007 02:24:40 PM
Online auto-aim is quite possibly the most faggiest thing ever implemented in a FPS as well.
Steven Steve
posted 06-18-2007 03:04:08 PM
The only really good thing about Halo 2 was the dual-wielding, besides that it's obvious that Microsoft had a little too much influence on the game, haha.

"Put Breaking Benjamin in this scene, yeah, that's hot."
"Layer that over with some gloss map so it looks more detailed."
"Don't give the fans too much story, we still have one more game to go."
"Let's get some Michelle Rodriguez - yes, finally the game is complete."

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

OrangeBrand
By a Truck
posted 06-18-2007 03:10:44 PM
I thought everyone knew Halo was a trilogy when part 2 came out.
I didn't like the way it ended either.

I am still playing Medieval II, can't find anything better to play.

SPELLCHECK is a four letter word.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 06-18-2007 03:20:39 PM
Like they are going to stop at 3 games.
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 06-18-2007 06:10:31 PM
quote:
OrangeBrand thought about the meaning of life:
I thought everyone knew Halo was a trilogy when part 2 came out.
I didn't like the way it ended either.

I am still playing Medieval II, can't find anything better to play.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-18-2007 07:09:22 PM
am i late for the halo sucks circlejerk
Maradon!
posted 06-18-2007 07:17:50 PM
single player Halo is actually a pretty decent game. It's got a pretty unique and engrossing story (with the notable exception of the end of fucking halo 2), and fairly good characters and voice acting.

It's only the actual gameplay mechanics that are so overwhelmingly average, and since so many "hardcore" FPS'ers go straight for the multiplayer, that's why people think it sucks.

I still see the SP campaign of a game as the "real" part with the multiplayer being an occasionally fun minigame. If you don't, you probably don't like Halo.

Blackened
posted 06-18-2007 08:31:23 PM
quote:
Kegwen.
am i late for the halo sucks circlejerk
more than two people agreeing on their dislike of a game, hmm I'd better point out that foolishness right away

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-18-2007 08:36:31 PM
If you're exclusively a console player then Halo actually provides a pretty well-polished multiplayer experience. Remember, guys, Valve and Epic haven't had a significant/worthwhile presence on home consoles until this generation.

Halo is fun. It didn't really push the FPS genre forward when compared to the PC, but it legitimized the FPS market on consoles for the mainstream. Goldeneye was a start, but Halo really got things in motion.

i mean uh lol fratboys rite guys

Maradon!
posted 06-18-2007 08:41:26 PM
oh shut up everybody knows that only failing franchises can ever be any good
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 06-18-2007 10:50:03 PM
quote:
This one time, at Blackened camp:
more than two people agreeing on their dislike of a game, hmm I'd better point out that foolishness right away

Granted, that's about 40% of EC.

Also, don't pretend like it's not a big internet fad to hate on Halo. I'm not defending it because I don't think any FPS games are really that original/better/worse than one another.

Blackened
posted 06-18-2007 10:50:44 PM
quote:
Kegwen.
i mean uh lol fratboys rite guys
keep on keepin' on

^^^ - I'm not pretending it doesn't exist. However, it's just as stupid to rage against the raging against. It makes you no better than. Note Kegwen's brilliant attempt at trying to seriously discuss the subject and then degrading back into internet fad/anti-fad bullshit.

I didn't post that Halo sucks looking for someone else to reach over and stroke my dick. I can get that in any other thread here on EC, it's easy.

Blackened fucked around with this message on 06-18-2007 at 10:55 PM.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 06-18-2007 10:52:03 PM
dragonforce

ff7

micro$oft

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-19-2007 01:39:35 AM
In talking with Fal I've realized that I basically went into normal internet argument defense mode, preparing for the normal "Halo sucks because it was hyped a lot and wasn't as good as Half-Life 2 fuck this" or whatever my particular understanding of the usual internet console warrior's mindset is. In the process of course I became a console warrior jackass myself blah blah

When compared to PC games, Halo lags far behind. Most of the things that it did well were things that PC developers had long since perfected and PC gamers now expect. It was not a huge step forward for the FPS genre as a whole. What it did right was create a very replayable and accessible multiplayer shooter in the console space that learned its lesson from PC shooters. It was one of the first well implemented dual analog games that I can recall. Halo 2 has set the bar for console game online matchmaking, a bar that unfortunately even Epic's Gears of War failed to clear.

It is of course entirely subjective whether the game is fun for you or not. Most PC gamers expect more and honestly it's not surprising for a PC gamer who played Half-Life and Unreal Tournament 8 years ago to find Halo to be fairly basic. It is basic. For the most part it was not innovative and it did not make any huge advances for the genre. Somehow, though, as someone who played those games so many years ago I find its highly polished replayability to be fun sometimes. Just like Counter-Strike, though, it's not fun if I'm losing. I get very frustrated with games like that when I'm losing, but that's my only real problem with games like that that are designed to be played a million times.

tl;dr i was being a stupid faggot earlier and defending halo beyond what was necessary or relevant. i thought it was a fun, polished game that had a lot of important consequences for future console shooters and that's why I consider it more than mediocre

Maradon!
posted 06-19-2007 01:55:12 AM
Tribes was basic and more fun by far than any multiplayer FPS I have played since.
Gadani
U
posted 06-19-2007 02:03:43 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Tron:
Tribes was basic and more fun by far than any multiplayer FPS I have played since.

people would not hate halo if it had jet packs

Maradon!
posted 06-19-2007 02:06:02 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Gadani who doth quote:
people would not hate halo if it had jet packs

people would not hate halo if it were tribes

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-19-2007 02:08:14 AM
quote:
Maradon! attempted to be funny by writing:

It's too bad Tribes Vengeance screwed up so badly

Led
*kaboom*
posted 06-19-2007 02:25:36 AM
Halo was awesome because you could play carmageddon with the warthog in online play :3
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 06-19-2007 04:28:38 AM
I was more bothered by HL2's ending than Halo 2's ending, though they're both pretty bad.

Needs more viral marketing involving the Gravemind.

Maradon!
posted 06-19-2007 05:21:09 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marring:
It's too bad Tribes Vengeance screwed up so badly

Vengeance (i refuse to acknowledge it as tribes) was the MoO3 of it's time.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 06-19-2007 08:54:39 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Blackened:
I didn't post that Halo sucks looking for someone else to reach over and stroke my dick. I can get that in any other thread here on EC, it's easy.

You can get it from me if you post 201-300 of that torrent of MP3's you have.

How you doin'?

-H

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 06-19-2007 09:07:07 AM
EXPLOITATION
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: