EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Who Here Likes Halo
Blackened
posted 05-17-2007 02:38:59 PM
Post so I can hate you forever

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Blackened
posted 05-17-2007 02:40:06 PM

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-17-2007 02:44:31 PM
I was never any good at it.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 05-17-2007 03:12:39 PM
It is unremarkable in every way.
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 05-17-2007 03:19:13 PM
Never played any of 'em but I still doubt a controller could ever hope to compare to a mouse and keyboard for FPS ownage
Doomjudge
Pancake
posted 05-17-2007 03:44:37 PM
I didn't mind it, multiplayer was fun with friends. Never finished the single player cause I didn't like it too much.

Got the Halo 3 beta, but it's not very fun...I dunno, after playing Gears of War, I don't really enjoy the Halo 3 beta either. Maybe it'll be more fun with friends.

Maradon!
posted 05-17-2007 04:00:23 PM
quote:
Blindy.ing:
It is unremarkable in every way.
Maradon!
posted 05-17-2007 04:01:13 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Vorago booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Never played any of 'em but I still doubt a controller could ever hope to compare to a mouse and keyboard for FPS ownage

This is true, but they're great for third person shooters like Lost Planet and Gears of War.

I wish they were doing this with Halo 3.

LeMiere
posted 05-17-2007 04:39:39 PM
I played Halo 2 with seven other people at a friend's house.
I sucked with the controls, could barely handle a gun. It was terrible and I just kept jumping around, trying to avoid death.
But when I realized you could hit people with the flag, I was excited. The game got fun then.

I didn't play it again after that, though. I like TFC so much better, and knowing that TF2 was in production, I had no interest in the Halo series.

Maradon!
posted 05-17-2007 04:47:32 PM
I don't like any round-based multiplayer FPS.

If you don't respawn instantly after dying with an anti-camp invincibility field I get too pissed off and/or bored to play for long.

Dave
)_(
posted 05-17-2007 05:22:06 PM
Halo on the PC like it was ment to be is alot better. Microsoft being the hore they are made Halo 2 for the pc vista only so there goes any interest I had of buying that...

The only thing that's kept me semi interested was the story line because of the book series. The one that took place during the first Halo game sucked as it was writen by someone esle.

Dave fucked around with this message on 05-17-2007 at 05:23 PM.

Willias
Pancake
posted 05-17-2007 05:38:42 PM
I am neutral towards Halo.

I did however, like the fact that in 5 minutes of Halo 2 multiplayer, I was owning my friends' faces even though I don't own either game.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-17-2007 07:06:49 PM
Played Halo for a while on a friends Xbox. Switched it off. Swore on my ancestors graves never to play it or any sequels/spinoffs again.

I'm spoilt with PC FPS's. It's like eating at a top class London restaurant for years then being forced to eat at a truckstop one day. Sure the truckers love it, but that's all they've ever known.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-17-2007 07:18:22 PM
Halo 2 multiplayer was kind of dumb, but Halo 3 has surprised me by being really enjoyable

Half-Life 1 and 2 are better but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy Halo

Alaan
posted 05-17-2007 07:55:11 PM
quote:
Kegwen thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Halo 2 multiplayer was kind of dumb, but Halo 3 has surprised me by being really enjoyable

Half-Life 1 and 2 are better but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy Halo

I'm way more excited for HL2 Orange Box than Halo 3.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-17-2007 08:03:19 PM
quote:
Alaan Model 2000 was programmed to say:

I would certainly be very excited about HL2 Orange if I thought TF2 was going to be any good. Fortress Forever just looks more fun. It's doing exactly what I want: making TFC pretty and tweaking it a bit.

Willias
Pancake
posted 05-17-2007 08:03:23 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Alaan wrote:

Who isn't?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-17-2007 08:04:24 PM
quote:
Willias was listening to Cher while typing:
Who isn't?

millions of console owners who've probably not even heard of half-life

Willias
Pancake
posted 05-17-2007 08:07:42 PM
but it's being released on consoles too, so that's dumb
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 05-17-2007 08:10:42 PM
I enjoy the game as something to kill a few minutes while I'm making dinner. I do like the books though.
"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-17-2007 09:10:55 PM
quote:
Willias impressed everyone with:
but it's being released on consoles too, so that's dumb

My point is that many console gamers know the game only as the game that PC fanboys throw in their face whenever they mention Halo. A lot of the idiot fanboys probably even hate the game despite never having played it simply because of the idiot fanboys from the other side that argue with them. Even putting the subject of console warriors and the results of their arguments, a lot of console gamers aren't even going to know why they should be excited. I've not seen much hype for it in the console space, but maybe I'm just not looking.

Greenlit
posted 05-17-2007 09:36:19 PM
quote:
Kegwen enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
if I thought TF2 was going to be any good. Fortress Forever just looks more fun.

that's stupid
you're stupid

Fanboys had a legitimate beef with Counter-Strike 1.6 vs Counter-Strike: Source about two years ago when Source had shields and buggy hitboxes, yet there are still legions of fanboy faggots who think CS:S is an affront to their acne-ridden deity.

I expect exactly the same thing with Fortress Forever and TF2, only without the legitimate beefs. (well, except the grenade changes)

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-17-2007 11:01:33 PM
They're two different approaches. I just want a refined TFC that's prettier. That's FF's goal. TF2's is attemtping a grand rebalancing while preserving the 9 class setup. I'll probably play both, but from the promises and hype both have put out I am more excited about Fortress Forever. We'll see how each live up to their promises in actual gameplay.

I have a lot of faith in Valve, but their goals don't seem to line up with what I'm looking for in a TF game

edit: what i mean is that i'll play what ends up being the most fun but one of them has more convincing hype aside from the expectations that one has for a valve game

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 05-17-2007 at 11:13 PM.

Skaw
posted 05-17-2007 11:53:23 PM
I'm usually not a stickler for graphics, but considering the premise behind the two games is entirely the same

TF2 looks awesome.
FF looks like a generic HL2 mod.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 05-18-2007 02:16:38 AM
A) Why is the piece of shit transporter returning?

B) No offhand grenades? What the fuck? RIP Conc jumping.

C) Six maps at launch is shitty.

TF2 is going to be significantly different from any other Team Fortress game ever made. I think it's valid to be wary, or more interested in Fortress Forever, which is attempting to remake TFC.

Skaw
posted 05-18-2007 02:29:54 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Alidane wrote:

All I need is 2fort and I'm set.

quote:
TF2 is going to be significantly different from any other Team Fortress game ever made. I think it's valid to be wary, or more interested in Fortress Forever, which is attempting to remake TFC.

Unfortantly, I disliked what TFC became. It started off good, but went downhill after awhile. Allowing servers the ability to restrict rocket jumping made Soldier worthless.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-18-2007 02:31:07 AM
How dare TF2 not be exactly the same as TFC with a graphical update! :mad:
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-18-2007 03:24:50 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Skaw was all like:
Unfortantly, I disliked what TFC became. It started off good, but went downhill after awhile. Allowing servers the ability to restrict rocket jumping made Soldier worthless.

I'm pretty sure that had little to do with Valve and a lot to do with idiot admins, but mabye I missed something. The things that suck about what TFC became are what Valve did to it with 1.5 :3

quote:
From the book of Sakkra, chapter 3, verse 16:
How dare TF2 not be exactly the same as TFC with a graphical update!

It makes sense for it to be something newer, I agree. Valve is a solid and reputable developer and TF2 will probably be fun and popular, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for in a TF game right now. I may be surprised and end up enjoying it more, but again based only on the promises that the respective development teams have made I am more interested in Fortress Forever mainly because they aren't trying to do anything super new or exciting.

I guess this goes back to the Halo thing, but I don't demand that games do something revolutionary every single time. Sometimes you just need to take a good formula and refine it. It's a bad thing if that's all that anyone does, sure. However, there's nothing wrong with taking good formulas and approaches and polishing/refining them further. Just ask Blizzard!

edit: not an attack on Blizzard. They're very good at taking existing ideas and approaches, picking and choosing the best of them, and making a solid and successful product out of it. This is a good thing.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 05-18-2007 at 03:37 AM.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 05-18-2007 08:57:56 AM
quote:
Alidane's fortune cookie read:

True, but then I read about this which seems like it'll make a difference :

quote:
TF2 only comes with six maps, but Valve are trying an intriguing game mode on one of them, Hydro, to ensure it stays fresh. Territorial Control gives each team a home base, and two of the four control points in the no-man's land between. The game itself then decides which two control points are 'in play', and blocks the routes to the rest of the map.

Once one team takes the enemy's point, the game chooses again, trying to avoid having the fight play out over the same routes and areas. It's a bit complicated, so I videoed Robin explaining it with visual aids and uploaded it here: snipurl.com/1gv46.

From http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=162960

Lots of rather interesting info on the article. I'll paste its entirety into the thread about TF2, however, rather than further derail this one.

Khyron fucked around with this message on 05-18-2007 at 09:07 AM.

Steven Steve
posted 05-18-2007 09:55:02 AM
Why does everyone like TFC so much more than TF (besides the Mega TF bullshit)?
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 05-18-2007 03:42:29 PM
Half-Life > Quake

Probably.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Skaw
posted 05-18-2007 03:45:12 PM
quote:
Stalwart Steve's fortune cookie read:
Why does everyone like TFC so much more than TF (besides the Mega TF bullshit)?

Because they're stupid.

Talonus
Loner
posted 05-18-2007 04:30:08 PM
quote:
How.... Skaw.... uughhhhhh:
All I need is 2fort and I'm set.

They need to let 2fort and Well go. The basic maps are both over ten years old and there's been far too many different takes on the two. I can't see why they're doing these two maps for the millionth time if they're only putting out six maps total.

Greenlit
posted 05-18-2007 05:10:40 PM
2fort is apparently the only standard CTF map that Valve is going to be making.

I just hope Hunted maps and other hilarious gimmicks make a comeback.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-18-2007 05:14:56 PM
quote:
Greenlit stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
2fort is apparently the only standard CTF map that Valve is going to be making.

I just hope Hunted maps and other hilarious gimmicks make a comeback.

Hey here you go OH WAIT

Steven Steve
posted 05-19-2007 03:59:49 PM
quote:
Verily, Elvish Crack Piper doth proclaim:
Half-Life > Quake

Probably.

But Quake has BALLS

And TF had Border, Well, and MORE! And rockets with manly velocities and explosion radii! And the long bloody spy knife! What good is TF when you are not sneaking into Mexico to backstab a bunch of beaners and MiB agents!?

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Greenlit
posted 05-19-2007 04:35:26 PM
quote:
Stalwart Steve was naked while typing this:
sneaking into Mexico to backstab a bunch of beaners and MiB agents!?

I didn't think anyone else remembered that map.

Talonus
Loner
posted 05-19-2007 05:08:34 PM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Knight Rider:
I didn't think anyone else remembered that map.

How can any QWTF player not remember Border? It was awesome. If you want some nostalgia, download it again. Too bad there's no chance we'd ever see a new version of this.

Skaw
posted 05-19-2007 05:27:25 PM
quote:
Talonus had this to say about (_|_):
How can any QWTF player not remember Border? It was awesome. If you want some nostalgia, download it again. Too bad there's no chance we'd ever see a new version of this.

Not an official Valve map, anyway. There were copycat maps for TFC.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: