EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Lord of the Rings Online
Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-08-2007 03:34:37 PM
Has anyone tried it yet?
Blackened
posted 05-08-2007 03:46:28 PM
Are you actually thinking about playing this?

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-08-2007 03:47:22 PM
What? Suddenly a brother can't be a hobbit minstrel?
Blackened
posted 05-08-2007 03:51:27 PM
It's more like... You know how this is going to end. Don't do this to yourself.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-08-2007 03:58:04 PM
Nah, it looks like a fairly shallow game with a boring premise and no real character lacking any kind of cool PvP.

I just wanted to know what other people thought.

Blackened
posted 05-08-2007 04:00:24 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan.
Nah, it looks like a fairly shallow game with a boring premise and no real character lacking any kind of cool PvP.

I just wanted to know what other people thought.

Well here's what I think,

Talonus
Loner
posted 05-08-2007 04:11:44 PM
The game is a combination of WoW and EQ2 for the most part. Nothing overly special to write about, but nothing overly bad to write about either. If you're burned out on WoW you may want to take it for a spin to see if you like it.
Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 05-08-2007 07:57:22 PM
I am playing it right now and it is mixed. I think the game captures the essence of what the "movies" were about as much as can be expected considering the small world.

There is something about playing a Hobbit in the Shire and doing Hobbit type things that is rather appealing. The other races well they are far too serious to be any fun to play.

"And God said: 'Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan." - George Burns
ArchAngel
Not a girl, never will be, no matter how much you may hear differently
posted 05-08-2007 08:05:15 PM
I tried the beta and found the game fairly fun... definately not enough to get me to leave WoW, but that would probably take a damn miracle at this point.
"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
Willias
Pancake
posted 05-08-2007 08:13:36 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Mr. Parcelan wrote:

I don't know about shallow or if I agree on the PvP aspect, but I do agree on the rest. Then again, what do you expect from a game that's based on the LoTR books, and has your character completing events that are based around the storyline of LoTR, instead of actually being part of it (or at least this is how it is from what I've seen)?

As Tal said, it isn't a bad MMO. There's far worse out there (DDO, SWG, dozens of Korean grindfest MMOs). It does nothing to make itself stand out from the rest of the market through anything but being based on LoTR. The game's combat and trade skills are set up like WoW (except instead of getting new ranks of skills every time you level, you tend to get a brand new ability every 2 levels, and your skills and spells scale with you as you level). The UI is almost a direct copy of WoW's UI. I also dislike the way equipment looks in the game. It's refreshing to see a game where all the equipment is made to look realistic, but at the same time it's disappointing to see high level equipment look like realistic stuff instead of having intricate and interesting designs.

On the other hand, class balance seems good, and each of the game's classes have a specific role set up for them from level 1, which is a pretty nice thing (compared to WoW and EQ2 where many classes compete with each other over the same roles). The game also seems to have one of the more entertaining healing classes that I've come across in an MMO (minstrels are actually pretty cool). Combat also tends to be faster paced than WoW's combat.

Eh...

Pretty much I'm going to have to say that I don't think it'd be a bad choice to check it out, but I'm not going to say it's a must-try either. As Tal said, if you're bored with WoW, it isn't bad if you're looking for a similar game.

I also feel the need to say that I did not make it very far into the game, so I can't say how things work at higher levels, nor did I do much grouping in the little time I messed around with it.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-08-2007 08:19:42 PM
There's the weak MonsterPlay PvP, but if I can't be a fucking Orc, then fuhgeddaboudit.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-09-2007 01:40:12 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan attempted to be funny by writing:
There's the weak MonsterPlay PvP, but if I can't be a fucking Orc, then fuhgeddaboudit.

Yes, you can be an orc.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-09-2007 01:43:19 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Tarquinn:
Yes, you can be an orc.

Only for some gay bonus play.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-09-2007 03:13:31 AM
True.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: