EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Guns!
nem-x
posted 04-20-2007 09:07:11 AM
Around $1,000, probably willing to go a few hundred higher.
Not looking for a carry type of weapon, so no need for compacts.

This piqued my interset in getting a new gun (Springfield Operator 1911), although I know the olive may look disgusting in person. So I've also been looking at their TRP and loaded lines. Faggoty stuff like the rails are a plus

Yuri
posted 04-20-2007 10:28:47 AM
An asian walks into a gun store after the VT shootings and...

Just saying you might get some weird looks

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-20-2007 12:41:09 PM
quote:
Yuri stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
An asian walks into a gun store after the VT shootings and...

Just saying you might get some weird looks

Hey, he has to defend himself from all the other crazy asians out there.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
nem-x
posted 04-20-2007 12:51:55 PM
Could also go for a rifle, but I don't really want to be spending 25 cents everytime I pull the trigger
Greenlit
posted 04-20-2007 12:53:57 PM
If you're wanting a 1911 I've always preferred Kimber to Springfield. Either way you're going to be signing off a firstborn to afford it.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 04-20-2007 06:15:07 PM
Rifle I always suggest a good AR15. Pistol, I am a big glock and Sig fan. For 1911s I suggest Kimber over springfield but I know there is a lot of debate over that one.
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
OrangeBrand
By a Truck
posted 04-20-2007 10:37:53 PM
I don't know alot about hand guns, but for the price of 1k wouldn't a HK be a good choice?

I am not a big caliber fan myself. I like shooting my .22 so I would not be helpful.

Now on rifles, I can help. It also depends on what you are shooting at.

I also like the M16 series of weapons. (AR - M14 - etc. )

For 1k in price you are looking at a wide selection. ( I am still trying to get a .223 styer scout sniper myself. I just like the way they look. I have never shot one yet.)

SPELLCHECK is a four letter word.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-20-2007 11:04:10 PM
quote:
nem-x said:
I don't really want to be spending 25 cents everytime I pull the trigger

Potatoes are cheap.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 04-21-2007 03:28:35 AM
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Dave
)_(
posted 04-21-2007 05:58:10 AM
My friend likes his Styer Aug alot more than his G3 and m4's. He says its alot easier to clean and much more enjoyable to shoot. Aug's do seem to clost alot though.
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 04-21-2007 11:37:36 AM
quote:
Dave wrote this stupid crap:
My friend likes his Styer Aug alot more than his G3 and m4's. He says its alot easier to clean and much more enjoyable to shoot. Aug's do seem to clost alot though.

Roughly $8000 above his price limit unfortunately.

nem, if you're set on a 1911 my personal preference is Kimber over Springfield. The TLE/RL II or Warrior are pretty well dressed out (and have the rail), and can both be had within your price range, though the Warrior may have to be found used.

If you're not strictly interested in 1911s, I'll always recommend a Sig, especially if you can find one of the old West German ones. I'm not as fond of the ones made here in the US, but that's more of a stylistic thing than anything. The US made ones do have a rail, though.

If I had a $1000 gun budget right now, I'd get one of the new Century Galils, but my raging hardon for the Galil is well known and so my recommendation should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm building a Micro Galil right now, and it'll be done as soon as I get my Form 1 back from ATF.

Gork
Pancake
posted 04-22-2007 12:41:50 AM
That s a Marine Corps Operator Pictured right? I have two buddies that bought them from me when I worked at the gunshop, They found them to be excellent guns for the price.

As for the recommended kimber's. I have to disagree. Alot of the bad stuff you hear about kimber is all bullshit granted, but the metal they use for barrels now is nigh impossible to keep from rusting, and I unfortunately just cant deal with having rust on one of my babies. (EDIT: I have an older Kimber Classic Royal, which was recommended to me before I knew much about guns I was 11 i think =p It has been nothing but good, accurate, jam free. But im just not a fan of this company, one other big ass reason is there customer-service was total dogshit the whole time i was working at the store. If your gun needs to be fixed under warranty you dont want to have to wait 6 F* months. Or be told 3 times nothing is wrong with the gun.

Also FYI, at 15.99 a box of 50 you are looking at 30 cents a shot in a .45acp handgun.

In non 1911's pretty much all standard handguns top out around $1k

What you need to do is head down to a gunshop and see how guns feel in your hands.

If you like the feel of.. say.. a Glock 17,19 in 9mm (Or even the target models (17L or 34 [Long Barrels/Light Triggers]) you are set, glocks are the toughest pistols out there, they are simple to clean and simple to use. The base models market around $530 which is an unbeatable price. However many find the Guns and or Triggers, and or Lack of Manual Safety uncomfortable.

Sig Sauer / Sigarms P226 / P229 in 9mm, .40S&W, and .357sig and the P220 (.45acp) are ever popular, and at the top of your price limit... but have rails and other goodies as options. (Stainless or Alloy frames depending on how you want the weight, or coloring.) As with glocks these guns dont have safties*, they do however have a decocker (in DA/SA models) And new DAK triggers with similar pull (long-light) to a glock. *New Single Action guns are becoming availible now that can go Cocked & Locked just like a 1911.

H&K guns are usually priced just a hair below the Sig's, feature polymer frames like the glocks making them lighter, for the most part the USP family are BIG guns, available in 9mm, .40 S&W, and the big boy .45acp. as well as USP compact's, which are comparable size to most full size handguns. Newer P2000's are slightly more svelte USP Compacts, and offer similar trigger styles to the sigs. (LEM instead of DAK, same idea.) (A DA/SA with rear decocker. Or an always heavy pull - double action only.) These are also very popular guns.

More in the mid range, Springfield's XD pistol is available in all 4 previously mentioned calibers. Has a comfy grip, and an excellent trigger that every new shooter ive had try had no problems hitting the middle of a target =)
My only gripe with these guns, is that my one customer who bought one and shot enough rounds through it to matter, had 3 different breakages over a relatively short period of time. In a pistol that is a near glock-copy and advertized to be just as tough... im not seeing it.

One of my favorites is the CZ-75B lower priced than the others, and much more crude. It is the 2nd most widely copied handgun in the world, and the choice of "Bad Guys" the world over. There are a few new versions of the compact out that are nice. Availible in 9mm and .40 S&W ~ $450 Currently the gun that keeps me safe & secure at night.

As far as rifles the sky is the limit, Id make your big consideration availability of places to shoot / what activity you are persuing with the rifle/shotgun. If there are no Skeet ranges around, dont get that type of shotgun. If you cant shoot over 100YDS, dont get a fancy high-powered rifle.

As much as I love my M1A and my pos Howa package deal rifle that I got used, I dont have any opportinity to get out past 100, 200 yards with them, assuming I can even find time to get out to the desert. But since there is a handgun range near me, I can head there any time I like.

Gork fucked around with this message on 04-22-2007 at 12:46 AM.

Another Unsolved Mystery is goin' down in history.
OrangeBrand
By a Truck
posted 04-22-2007 05:48:58 AM
What he said ^

No that's an informed opinion.

SPELLCHECK is a four letter word.
nem-x
posted 04-27-2007 04:22:13 PM
Tell me about the M1A
Expected price range for a good new/used
How easy would it be to change the stock to this
Cost of a good scope/stand
nem-x
posted 04-27-2007 04:30:02 PM
Also I'm probably going to get a Sig P229R if I don't go the rifle route
Arttemis
posted 04-28-2007 01:02:59 AM
The rule I've always heard for scopes is that your scope should always cost at least as much as your rifle. A Harris bipod will run you between $50 and $100.

M1As run from $1250 upwards from what I've seen, but I will grant that I'm not current on the market - I have my HK91 and that's the only .308 battle rifle I need.

Were it my decision, I'd get the Sig. .308 is too dang expensive to shoot in any quantity anymore, especially with a lot of the surplus sources starting to dry up.

nem-x
posted 04-28-2007 01:16:40 AM
I read about the .308 before heading out to the gunshops today

P229R 9mm monoblack ordered and coming in on tuesday with two 13round magazines
Crimson trace grips coming at the same time

Arttemis
posted 04-28-2007 01:18:56 AM
Nice. Tell me what you think of the 229, I've never shot one.

I got my Form 1 back today so I just ordered the rest of the parts for my Micro Galil. If that's not I don't know what is.

Greenlit
posted 04-28-2007 01:23:07 AM
Yeah we'll need pics of that asap.
nem-x
posted 04-28-2007 03:36:52 PM
I'm looking for lights and the TLR-1 seems to be a good choice for the money.
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=80

But under the compatibility document:

quote:

SIG SAUER:
GSR or 1911 Style with flat bottom rail, Picatinny key.

ANY ALUMINUM FRAME SIG WITH A ROUND BOTTOM RAIL: Including the P220R, P229R, etc. The Sig round bottom rail departs from the true shape of both the 1913 and Universal standards and may cause an improper fit. The TLR will work with the 1913 key but THERE WILL BE DAMAGE to the finish of both the gun and the light. The retaining screw must be TIGHT.

I've seen other sig owners use the same light, so is this a real problem? Should I pay an extra $100 to be safe with a surefire light?

nem-x fucked around with this message on 04-28-2007 at 03:38 PM.

Arttemis
posted 04-28-2007 04:23:44 PM
No, I think the TLR1 will go on just fine. At most it might scuff your frame a little.

Arttemis fucked around with this message on 04-28-2007 at 04:24 PM.

nem-x
posted 04-28-2007 04:30:28 PM
quote:
Arttemis wrote this stupid crap:
At most it might scuff your frame a little.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo

Gork
Pancake
posted 04-29-2007 02:07:26 AM
CTS grips are cool enough, just forego the light... If you want it for looks, and you shoot it with the light on the lights tend to break within a few thousand rounds. A guy had one on his Beretta 92 (Surefire) and busted the light pretty quickly. (However that was the only one I saw go down in my time at the shop. Then again most people didnt leave them on while shooting, or shoot as much as this dude did.)

Edit: For my money id get the TLR though... followed by Insight m3, followed by surefire, just from what Ive seen. I think the Plastic Insight is top rated for the most part.

Gork fucked around with this message on 04-29-2007 at 02:08 AM.

Another Unsolved Mystery is goin' down in history.
Arttemis
posted 05-04-2007 12:43:10 PM
quote:
Greenlit stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Yeah we'll need pics of that asap.

If you insist.

Parts came yesterday, mocked up the construction today.

EDIT: Additional style points for toes.

Arttemis fucked around with this message on 05-04-2007 at 12:45 PM.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 05-04-2007 02:17:25 PM
Guns are stupid
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Greenlit
posted 05-04-2007 06:30:24 PM
Say the people who aren't allowed to own them.

That is sexy Artt and I want one.

nem-x
posted 05-18-2007 02:00:01 AM
Anyone know of a good place that does duracoating? Or gunkote refinishing?

the colors!

nem-x fucked around with this message on 05-18-2007 at 02:11 AM.

Arttemis
posted 05-18-2007 11:49:15 AM
quote:
nem-x's fortune cookie read:
Anyone know of a good place that does duracoating? Or gunkote refinishing?

the colors!

Most people I know do gunkote and duracoat themselves. Gunkote and Duracoat.

The Lauer website also has a list of certified finishers if you want to have it done professionally.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-18-2007 11:50:07 AM
Happy Sky ^Twelfth Style^
Pancake
posted 05-18-2007 12:27:38 PM
quote:
nem-x attempted to be funny by writing:
Around $1,000, probably willing to go a few hundred higher.
Not looking for a carry type of weapon, so no need for compacts.

Cho really?

thread derail time

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-18-2007 12:31:24 PM
quote:
Aw, geez, I have Happy Sky ^Twelfth Style^ all over myself!
Cho really?

thread derail time

So are you back at home, or what?

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Happy Sky ^Twelfth Style^
Pancake
posted 05-18-2007 12:32:45 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about the Spice Girls:
So are you back at home, or what?

Cho no you di'int

nem-x
posted 05-18-2007 11:04:23 PM
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-18-2007 11:06:13 PM
Guns don't kill people.

Bullets do.

Blackened
posted 05-19-2007 12:54:33 AM
quote:
Mortious.
Guns don't kill people.

Bullets do.

fakepost

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
nem-x
posted 05-19-2007 11:05:25 PM
Skaw
posted 05-19-2007 11:07:57 PM
You missed.

A lot.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 05-19-2007 11:09:12 PM
quote:
Skaw had this to say about (_|_):
You missed.

A lot.

Say that with a bullet half an inch off of wherever on your face he was aiming.

I'm pretty sure he'll have hit something important.

Skaw
posted 05-19-2007 11:11:56 PM
He's asian. He's supposed to be good at math. Thus, I expect one single hole, dead center of the target. Of which, every other shot had passed through.
Greenlit
posted 05-20-2007 12:32:11 AM
I've been thinking of a Ruger Mk.2 as my next purchase, but I want to find a range somewhere that'll let me throw a few boxes of ammo downrange to get a feel for one.

Sadly, this is Florida. The only range I'm aware of does not have a Mk2.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: