EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: so i got my new computer
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 04-18-2007 07:05:00 PM
AMD 64 Athlon X2 4400+
3gb of ram
GeForce 7600 GS 256mb
250gb HD
Vista Premium
etc...

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed when using firefox if the screen jumps up and down?

Also, anyone have any good tips or websites they could link me for streamlining Vista? I want to play with it more but I have to go to work. Oh well, I'll play tomorrow

Doomjudge
Pancake
posted 04-18-2007 07:39:45 PM
quote:
So quoth Norim Stumpfighter:
AMD 64 Athlon X2 4400+
3gb of ram
GeForce 7600 GS 256mb
250gb HD
Vista Premium
etc...

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed when using firefox if the screen jumps up and down?

Also, anyone have any good tips or websites they could link me for streamlining Vista? I want to play with it more but I have to go to work. Oh well, I'll play tomorrow

Wow, no offense but for 3 gigs'o'ram, the rest of the system is sorta...well underwhelming

Maradon!
posted 04-18-2007 10:05:09 PM
quote:
Doomjudgeing:
Wow, no offense but for 3 gigs'o'ram, the rest of the system is sorta...well underwhelming

There is no such thing as too much RAM with vista.

Anyway, disable UAC if you feel like taking your data into your own hands.

UAC is really just a big pain in the ass in the end. If you know a lot, you don't need it, and if you don't know a lot you'll just click through and grant everything admin privileges anyway.

I have no idea what you mean by the screen jumping up and down in firefox.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 04-18-2007 at 10:05 PM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-18-2007 10:14:41 PM
quote:
How.... Maradon!.... uughhhhhh:
There is no such thing as too much RAM with vista.

Anyway, disable UAC if you feel like taking your data into your own hands.

UAC is really just a big pain in the ass in the end. If you know a lot, you don't need it, and if you don't know a lot you'll just click through and grant everything admin privileges anyway.

I have no idea what you mean by the screen jumping up and down in firefox.

If you don't have anything in the Bookmarks Toolbar folder, even if said toolbar is diabled, any page you load will jump up and down.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Maradon!
posted 04-18-2007 10:18:55 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Damnati booooze lime pole over bench lick:
If you don't have anything in the Bookmarks Toolbar folder, even if said toolbar is diabled, any page you load will jump up and down.

I just deleted everything out of my bookmarks toolbar folder and my shiz ain't jumping up and down.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-19-2007 12:05:15 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Pirotess:
I just deleted everything out of my bookmarks toolbar folder and my shiz ain't jumping up and down.

Odd, that's what it was for me. As soon as I put something back in the folder and it stopped.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 04-19-2007 08:14:32 AM
The one thing I really like from Vista is Windows ReadyBoost.

When having enough RAM isn't enough, just pop in a clean 4gb (or any size) Flash Drive, Open its properties, goto the ReadyBoost tab, Click "use this device".

Then just select how much memory from the flash drive you want to use as "Space for system speed" Turning your USB Flash Drive into extra "RAM"

Maradon!
posted 04-19-2007 09:42:25 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Brahmin Bloodlust booooze lime pole over bench lick:
The one thing I really like from Vista is Windows ReadyBoost.

When having enough RAM isn't enough, just pop in a clean 4gb (or any size) Flash Drive, Open its properties, goto the ReadyBoost tab, Click "use this device".

Then just select how much memory from the flash drive you want to use as "Space for system speed" Turning your USB Flash Drive into extra "RAM"

Intel is actually coming out with motherboards that have onboard 4gb flash memory specifically designed for readyboost.

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 04-19-2007 10:00:25 AM
Now, to actually build a desktop to run it, since I'm only running this on my Laptop at work

I think a lot of Mobo designers will go this route now.

Two things might happen though once the userbase for Vista picks up:

1. The price of Memory will drop and that will be a good thing.

2. The price of Flash Memory will go up (though I don't see that happening due to it being a "cheap" and easy to make media) which would be annoying.

Either way, I'm scared of the pricepoint for Motherboards designed for Vista.

Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 04-19-2007 02:18:42 PM
quote:
Doomjudge painfully thought these words up:

yah, but for $800 bucks and the fact that I don't have spare time to build my own, i think it's ok.

Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 04-20-2007 03:38:54 PM
Hey mara, i turned off UAC, is there anyway to make the red shield in the systray go away or is it going to be a permanent fixture until I turn UAC back on?
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-20-2007 04:08:09 PM
quote:
Norim Stumpfighter startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
Hey mara, i turned off UAC, is there anyway to make the red shield in the systray go away or is it going to be a permanent fixture until I turn UAC back on?

Probably just go to msconfig and tell it not to appear in the system tray. Don't know for sure, but if you've right-clicked it and there's no option to hide the notice, then that'd be my bet.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 04-20-2007 04:11:57 PM
it's like, why ask people a question when if you look just a bit harder you find the answer. there's a thing you can click to stop getting notifications and hide the icon. Thanks though 'sage!
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: