EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Oh dear oh dear.. C&C3
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-11-2007 09:51:00 PM
Westwood, come back, all is forgiven. EA has turned your masterpiece of subtle storyline changes and fun battles into a slobbering, ugly, monster.

• No subtly. Every single fucking thing you do leads to an OMG HUGE STORYLINE CHANGE, YOU ARE TRULY A COMBAT GOD. Rescuing the Whitheouse from Nod soldiers, oh god, I facepalmed IRL and groaned.
  • Stupid story. No more good, clean, GDI vs NOD. No. It's aliens. ALIENS. BECUZ ALIENZ R KOOL AN NEVER DUN B4 IN A RTS HURRR.
  • Pointless units. Once you have mammoth tanks (and you get them pretty damn early) it's utterly pointless using anything else. Same with some NOD units. Same with the alien tripods.
  • The entire game is just a prologue for C&C4. OH BOY OH BOY I SURE DO LOVE IT WHEN THEY PULL THAT ONE, LIKE EVERY OTHER FUCKING RTS.
  • The ion cannon looks crap. The original looked better, both as the satellite and the blast.
  • The Temple of Nod is absolutely tiny, like it was made for midgets. wtf, no.
  • The aliens are just a rehash of the Zerg with some War of the Worlds elements thrown in. Organic troops hurrrr. Tripods in London hurrrr.

I played it all the way through for two reasons. Reason one: the FMV's are pretty good.. although way over the top. Again, total lack of subtly. Reason two: you have to complete the GDI and NOD campaigns to unlock the 4-mission alien campaign.

Score: 5/10. If you've played Supreme Commander before this you will be sorely disappointed. SupCom is so much better than this it isn't even funny.

• Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 04-11-2007 09:53:34 PM
    Oh, also, Kane is apparently not human, or some kind of clone/tiberium mutant. That will likely explain why he keeps dying and coming back.
    Mr. Gainsborough
    posted 04-11-2007 09:57:04 PM
    Command and Conquer has never been better than the first one. Why should it start now?
    Kegwen
    Sonyfag
    posted 04-11-2007 09:59:31 PM
    Red Alert was better than the Tiberium universe anyway

I'll rent C&C3 for 360 when it comes out. Apparently EGM thinks the control scheme is pretty good. They really like the game, too.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 04-11-2007 at 10:01 PM.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 04-11-2007 10:06:04 PM
    I dunno, I thought Renegade was insanely fun in multiplayer. Though everyone charged right for the Mammoth tank..

.. then got it blown up as they charged off to the enemy base.

Sakkra
    Office Linebacker
    posted 04-11-2007 10:29:43 PM
    quote:
    Mortious had this to say about Cuba:
    I dunno, I thought Renegade was insanely fun in multiplayer. Though everyone charged right for the Mammoth tank..

.. then got it blown up as they charged off to the enemy base.

I loved Renegade, especially the NOD laser troopers (either regular or stealth variety)

Doomjudge
    Pancake
    posted 04-11-2007 10:58:55 PM
    I dunno, I've always been a big fan of the C&C series and I'm not at all disappointed by C&C3, I think it's a really good game. I tried Supreme Commander, and couldn't say I liked it. I tried, but it just didn't appeal to me.
    Tarquinn
    Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
    posted 04-12-2007 03:28:10 AM
    Awesome game, I love it. Feels almost as good as playing the first C&C again. It has everything I want from a single player game. Atmosphere, story, gameplay. And compared to Supreme Commander it has a soul.

The only thing I'd criticize is the weak ending (Game over, buy the expansion, lol!)

quote:
    Mortious thought about the meaning of life:

• Pointless units. Once you have mammoth tanks (and you get them pretty damn early) it's utterly pointless using anything else. Same with some NOD units. Same with the alien tripods.

• Rocket troops will rape mammoths.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 04-12-2007 at 03:28 AM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
    Brahmin Bloodlust
    High Priest of Drysart
    posted 04-12-2007 06:47:24 AM
    Although I'm not finished with c&c3 yet, I can honestly say its what I was looking for in an RTS for the past couple years.

Yeah some of the story is wtf, but when its all said and done, I'm going to have some fun with this game. It finally took the sour taste of Generals/Zero Hour out of my mouth.

And Billie D. Williams wins the overacting award of the year.

Brahmin Bloodlust fucked around with this message on 04-12-2007 at 07:48 AM.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 04-12-2007 10:27:23 AM
    quote:
    Tarquinn said:
    Rocket troops will rape mammoths.

Not really, since the AI builds every thing in sequence (so no mass of just rocket troops) and you can force-move the mammoth to run them over long before they do much damage to the armour.

Khyron
    Hello, my mushy friend...
    posted 04-12-2007 12:23:37 PM
    quote:
    Tarquinn had this to say about dark elf butts:
    Rocket troops will rape mammoths.

Pre-railgun, sure. Post-railgun, no way.

Vorago
    A completely different kind of Buckethead
    posted 04-12-2007 12:54:03 PM
    I remember the good 'ol days in Red Alert 2 of my apocalypse tanks rolling through an endless field of blinding green radiation of my dozen Desolators, mowing down everything in their path

Desolators won me more games than I can ever hope to count

Toktuk
    Pooh Ogre
    Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
    posted 04-12-2007 02:07:55 PM
    quote:
    Mr. Gainsborough probably says this to all the girls:
    Command and Conquer has never been better than the first one. Why should it start now?

From a purely mechanics standpoint, Red Alert and Red Alert 2 were much better than their Tiberium series counterparts. Red Alert 2 is IMO the most balanced and well constructed out of the series.

I agree that the storylines went from decent to over-the-top laughable in a hurry, though.

-H

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 04-12-2007 04:41:22 PM
    Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Snores.
    Kegwen
    Sonyfag
    posted 04-12-2007 05:33:35 PM
    quote:
    Khyron got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
    Pre-railgun, sure. Post-railgun, no way.

What's the point of using Mammoth Tanks without the railgun upgrade anyway?

Rodent King
    Stabbed in the Eye
    posted 04-12-2007 11:51:40 PM
    I played through the first C&C and found it fun and challenging. Then I discovered that if you put anywalls around your base, the AI attempts to walk around them. Therefore, if you put any sandbags around your bases completely, they never attack. It became kinda trivial after that.
    My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
    Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 04-13-2007 07:49:56 AM
    quote:
    Rodent King said:
    I played through the first C&C and found it fun and challenging. Then I discovered that if you put anywalls around your base, the AI attempts to walk around them. Therefore, if you put any sandbags around your bases completely, they never attack. It became kinda trivial after that.

Sometimes that was the only way the complete some of the missions in the original C&C.

I can think of two missions that tactic is absolutely needed, both GDI. Germany (I think) and the last mission where you get absolutely swarmed right at the start but the only way into your base is a small canyon. Just pop sandbags across the canyon and they can't attack.

Tarquinn
    Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
    posted 04-13-2007 07:52:06 AM
    quote:
    Mortious enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
    Sometimes that was the only way the complete some of the missions in the original C&C.

I can think of two missions that tactic is absolutely needed, both GDI. Germany (I think) and the last mission where you get absolutely swarmed right at the start but the only way into your base is a small canyon. Just pop sandbags across the canyon and they can't attack.

I'm not going to say that I am the best RTS player ever, I'm not, but I have never used that tactic and I beat the original C&C without a problem.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 04-13-2007 at 07:52 AM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
    Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 04-13-2007 07:54:53 AM
    Oh, you could beat it without the tactic. It just made those two missions a hell of a lot easier and quicker.

You could block up his base with sandbags too, it was hilarious.

Lechium
    With no one to ever know
    posted 04-13-2007 07:55:55 AM
    I don't know about you guys, but my walls got destroyed. And even at the last mission where I would constantly got nuked, I could still kick ass.
    "The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
    All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: