EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Vanguard
Maradon!
posted 04-11-2007 02:41:55 AM
I bought this game on a fluke and so far it seems pretty swell. The immense clip plane and huge world really give you a feeling of space. Something I really miss from Vision era EQ is that feeling that there's lots of undiscovered stuff out there, and in my first 20 minute play I kinda get that vibe, and not just because every server said "Low population" when I went to create my character.

Anybody out there playing actively? I picked Hilsbury arbitrarily because it sounded like an anagram of Solsbury Hill which is a pretty sweet peter gabriel song.

A lot of the mechanics are confusing the hell out of me and the manual is, as usual, useless. Any good sources for information?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-11-2007 02:45:32 AM
Wait, what? You of all people bought Vanguard? My first thought was that you were fakeposting.

I haven't seen or heard of anyone else playing it, though, so best of luck with that.

Willias
Pancake
posted 04-11-2007 02:48:08 AM
quote:
Kegwen spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Wait, what? You of all people bought Vanguard?

Haha, this sums up all of my thoughts when I read this thread.

Edit2: Maradon, ya gotta tell us here at EC if this is actually any good or not. With your unabashed hatred of the original EQ (and anything else created by SOE for that matter), I think I'd end up listening to your opinion on this over quite a few other people here.

Willias fucked around with this message on 04-11-2007 at 02:50 AM.

Maradon!
posted 04-11-2007 02:50:13 AM
Yeah, tell me about it.

It looked pretty fancy so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I even made a necromancer.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 04-11-2007 02:56:40 AM
I was given a free account and I only played it for three days before cancelling it.

Game is not good :|

Led fucked around with this message on 04-11-2007 at 02:57 AM.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 04-11-2007 02:58:54 AM
That game is such shitty shitty shit shit. It's good for about oh three days while you explore the world and go haha I remember that from EQ but then you realize that it is EQ with a slightly different system in place.

Crafting is an unholy bitch, with the only benefit being that you don't need to adventure at all to raise skill.

Combat is only slightly more interesting since they realized hey skills are nice for classes that don't cast.

The little politics card game? Utterly worthless except for the chance for a city buff that costs you something and mostly benefits everyone who's not doing diplomacy.

The best part was being a healing class on the FFA server because they thought "Hey! for PvP let's halve all the damage without halving the healing!" so clerics, blood mages, and to a lesser extent whatever the healing monks were called were gods, while tanks didn't exist.

I only played it for a week, and that was only because that's how long it took my roommate and I to realize that the chance of us attaining a boat or house was pretty much zero without playing for about a month. And like hell I was paying any form of subscription for it.

Willias
Pancake
posted 04-11-2007 03:04:40 AM
Thank you, Ferret.

Glad to see my decision to not even try Vanguard has been a good one thus far.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-11-2007 03:45:48 AM
You'll probably be as upset about your Vanguard purchase as I was about my FFXI purchase so many years ago

man that game sucked

Maradon!
posted 04-11-2007 03:51:31 AM
So all of you so far have played for <3 days

Does anybody actually PLAY this?

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 04-11-2007 at 03:51 AM.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-11-2007 04:02:21 AM
Funny, I wanted to make a thread asking if someone here is actually playing Vanguard.

If you manage to play it longer than "3 days" I am very interested in your review/opnion, Maradon.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 04-11-2007 05:17:15 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
So all of you so far have played for days

Does anybody actually PLAY this?

Played late beta for several months. Loved it. Never picked it up retail though.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 04-11-2007 05:36:54 AM
My brother was raving about it for as long as he had the internet. I was going to play, but I canceled my internet to save some money. I heard good things about it from people who dont play WoW for some reason. As I dont like WoW in any case, I think I will give it a try when I have the internet again.
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 04-11-2007 10:35:39 AM
Almost picked this game up but didn't think it was worth the 50 dollar price tag. Due to all of the bugs and rollback issues they were having. So the decision to wait was an easy one. Been waiting for them to fix the issues and let the price drop, since it should plummet to the bargain bin in a few months, due to lack of a player base.

So yes please enlighten us as to how the game is..

New Age Bane fucked around with this message on 04-11-2007 at 10:36 AM.

What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-11-2007 10:38:49 AM
X-Play said it was cool for the Diplomacy and Crafting bits, but no one wants to do those, anyway.

I'll never trust a game from Brad McQuaid again. Grinding != Challenge.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 04-11-2007 10:46:59 AM
I've heard that they've lost 25% of their begining numbers allready.

I have no proof of that, but I'd believe it.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 04-11-2007 10:53:52 AM
I played it for a couple weeks when I was outta town; friend had it. I thought it was more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Which is to say, immensely awesomely fun.
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Demos
Pancake
posted 04-11-2007 11:14:40 AM
I blame Maradon's purchase of Vanguard for the fact that its snowing in Chicago; hell must have frozen over.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 04-11-2007 12:05:45 PM
quote:
Kegwen wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
You'll probably be as upset about your Vanguard purchase as I was about my FFXI purchase so many years ago

man that game sucked

That was one of the few games that genuinely pissed me off that I bought it, other games I'm like "Damn, guess I could have bought something else instead and been better off" but FFXI made me just want to hit something

Willias
Pancake
posted 04-11-2007 12:20:07 PM
quote:
Vorago had this to say about pies:
That was one of the few games that genuinely pissed me off that I bought it, other games I'm like "Damn, guess I could have bought something else instead and been better off" but FFXI made me just want to hit something

Probably because the game actually looked kinda interesting, but you couldn't get anywhere if you didn't have a solid group, and you couldn't pick what fucking server you wanted to play on (though they've changed this recently).

That's the way it was for me anyway.

Willias fucked around with this message on 04-11-2007 at 12:20 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-11-2007 03:02:00 PM
quote:
Willias's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Probably because the game actually looked kinda interesting, but you couldn't get anywhere if you didn't have a solid group, and you couldn't pick what fucking server you wanted to play on (though they've changed this recently).

I ended up playing with a bunch of friends but they all progressed at different rates and we all quit before level 20 anyway

Maradon!
posted 04-11-2007 03:28:21 PM
I found a really helpful guy who answered some questions for me.

So far, the game is pretty fun. Combat is fairly standard MMO fare. I'm only level 6 but so far there's decent solo content, and if you're tricky you can even hack out some of the group content, which is good because according to my helpful guide you're pretty much locked out of group content due to low population.

New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 04-11-2007 03:37:20 PM
Wonder how long until they do a server merge.
What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Skaw
posted 04-11-2007 03:56:25 PM
quote:
Willias had this to say about Pirotess:

A duo group can plow through levels faster than a full set of 6 until around 55 now.

The current expansion mission storyline is pretty awesome too. It's all about a past battle between Odin and Alexander, which annihilated an empire, in the process of reoccuring because another empire is trying to repair Alexander to set on a global conquest.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 04-11-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 04-11-2007 09:19:15 PM
My old guild leader from EQ1 (Lifebane from EQNecro.com) has been playing it. He likes it and started http://www.vgnecro.com/ There should be some information there to help you in your adventures Maradon.
http://www.bloodfin.net
Tier
posted 04-11-2007 09:22:37 PM
I loved the heck out of it during beta. However, at the end of beta they didn't have that much content. The continents are huge, but points of interest were sparse and often unpopulated.

Figured I'd wait a year to see how it pans out.

Maradon!
posted 04-11-2007 09:44:08 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Kaglaaz How'ler who doth quote:
My old guild leader from EQ1 (Lifebane from EQNecro.com) has been playing it. He likes it and started http://www.vgnecro.com/ There should be some information there to help you in your adventures Maradon.

yeah, I stumbled across vgnecro pretty quickly. Great source for graft info and things.

Maradon!
posted 04-17-2007 01:57:39 AM
Aaaaaaaand I'm spent.

Total time until vanguard was boring: six days, two of which I spent puttering around with diplomacy.

I suppose I can't say "LOL GG SOE" though, it seems like low pop that killed the experience. The death penalty was also a prominent fault - harsh enough at level 9 to prevent me from even ATTEMPTING a group quest, as I did, successfully, at earlier levels.

I couldn't find any more adventure quests, and leveling was reduced to a grind, and I'm not all about that.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-17-2007 02:27:26 AM
So basically all the reasons I said.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-18-2007 07:22:40 AM
My Vanguard thinking leading up to it's launch and whether I'd stick my foot in that pool of water was as follows:

1.Brad's new game....warning sign, but if he got things right this time...maybe
2.Rumors of harsh death penalty...I hate unreasonable death penalties.
3.Card game minigame for politics....oh what the fuck

I'm getting SICK AND FUCKING TIRED of god-damned card games being put into games in lieu of actual interaction mechanics. It's like that Metal Gear game where you have to throw a fucking card to climb a ladder. ARGH ARGH ARGH

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Maradon!
posted 04-18-2007 11:22:10 AM
Honestly, the politics card game was pretty neat, and the experience loss on death wasn't THAT bad.

What killed it for me was fighting your way through 400x rats over the course of an hour, dying, and having to do it all over again in order to finish the last adventure quest in your log. I've been spoiled by WoW's "ghost" system, I suppose.

Greenlit
posted 04-18-2007 01:47:00 PM
Metal Gear Acid is awesome and I will hear nothing to the contrary.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 04-18-2007 02:59:20 PM

Hi guys.

Maradon!
posted 04-18-2007 03:44:34 PM
Warhammer Online will be awesome when we get to play it in 2012
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-18-2007 04:06:02 PM
Now that's an Orc.

WoW Orcs can kiss my ass.

Mightion Defensor
posted 04-18-2007 04:24:21 PM
They not that kind of orc!

How harsh was Vanguard's death penalty? Compared to Kunark/Velious EQ?

Maradon!
posted 04-18-2007 05:33:49 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Mightion Defensor booooze lime pole over bench lick:
They not that kind of orc!

How harsh was Vanguard's death penalty? Compared to Kunark/Velious EQ?

Well

When you died, you respawned naked wherever you were bound. You had the option of either fetching your "Tombstone". This gave you all your items back and about half the XP you lost. This was the least chosen avenue of retrieval, as I understand it.

The other option was going to a "Temple" to have your corpse summoned to you. This damaged all your items considerably (things in your pack as well as things you were wearing) and did not restore any experience.

All in all, it was at worst as bad as vision-era EQ, but usually a hair better just because you could elect to summon your own corpse.

What I don't know is if the death penalty scales with your level like it did in EQ.

Demos
Pancake
posted 04-18-2007 05:34:44 PM
Actually, the last update in the Warhammer newsletter placed closed betas starting this summer, with it opening up more in the fall. It could possibly see release next year.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 04-18-2007 11:12:19 PM
They're never going to announce the High Elf classes!
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-19-2007 01:42:40 AM
quote:
Demos had this to say about Pirotess:
Actually, the last update in the Warhammer newsletter placed closed betas starting this summer, with it opening up more in the fall. It could possibly see release next year.

There is a chance that we might even see it this year.

I don't get what Maradon is refering to.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Maradon!
posted 04-19-2007 02:30:13 AM
quote:
x--TarquinnO-('-'Q) :
There is a chance that we might even see it this year.

I don't get what Maradon is refering to.

Just a general longing to play WHO

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: