EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: so how important is the type of vista?
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 04-07-2007 01:55:21 PM
I have limited funds and i'm going to buy from dell. I am not a person who upgrades their computer every year so I was wondering which computer seems a better deal.

the E521 that can be upgraded...

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
No Monitor
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
16x DVD+/-RW Drive
256MB NVIDIA Geforce 7300LE TurboCache
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

or the C521 which will save me space, costs about the same, but apparently has a better video card...

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Basic
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
16x DVD+/-RW Drive
No Monitor
256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro

so is the difference between premium and basic that drastic that I should go with a lesser video card? Granted The best card I have ever owned was a 64mb card I really only have about 600 to spend, so if someone can come up with a better computer from somewhere else for that price range, I'm all for it.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 04-07-2007 02:18:36 PM
get home premium and buy a better video card and another gig of ram when you get a chance.

That's my advise.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 04-08-2007 12:25:08 AM
You can also save money by getting the OEM version of Vista. You have to be careful on what parts you will swap out in the future but it is up to you if the risk is worth it.
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Alaan
posted 04-08-2007 12:39:41 AM
quote:
Azizza's account was hax0red to write:
You can also save money by getting the OEM version of Vista. You have to be careful on what parts you will swap out in the future but it is up to you if the risk is worth it.

This is a prebuilt so it is already OEM.

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 04-08-2007 05:17:44 AM
Didn't we already have this thread where we told you to save the $40-60, go with integrated, and buy a 7600GS after you get the computer? Get the first computer, downgrade the video card to the integrated 6150 or whatever, then spend 70 on a 7600GS, then later buy an extra gig of ram.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-08-2007 12:57:40 PM
quote:
Azizza impressed everyone with:

Yeah, is why I got OEM with the laptop I bought. I figured even if I don't use it for 6 months, I saved some bucks.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 04-08-2007 06:38:35 PM
quote:
Azizza was naked while typing this:

Perhaps I got lost in the terminology, but why would an OEM version or not affect you down the line if you decide to swap out hardware?

Alaan
posted 04-08-2007 06:44:08 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Perhaps I got lost in the terminology, but why would an OEM version or not affect you down the line if you decide to swap out hardware?

On a prebuilt its really not going to matter because you aren't going to be doing huge upgrades. But OEM XP will shutdown if you swap your motherboards/processors or that sort of thing. Video card, RAM, hard drive and the like won't trigger the kill process.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-08-2007 09:50:56 PM
quote:
Alaan had this to say about Optimus Prime:
On a prebuilt its really not going to matter because you aren't going to be doing huge upgrades. But OEM XP will shutdown if you swap your motherboards/processors or that sort of thing. Video card, RAM, hard drive and the like won't trigger the kill process.

Wait a minute...so if I go ahead and install my new mobo and proc, my XP is going to hate me because I didn't pay out the ass for a full retail version?

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Alaan
posted 04-08-2007 09:52:59 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Damnati wrote:
Wait a minute...so if I go ahead and install my new mobo and proc, my XP is going to hate me because I didn't pay out the ass for a full retail version?

Precisely. The OEM license is for ONE computer. You did not pay for a tranfserable license. Thats why it is so much cheaper.

Edit: I still kind of laugh at "Pay out the ass" for a piece of software that lasts for 5 years though.

Alaan fucked around with this message on 04-08-2007 at 09:54 PM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-08-2007 10:04:17 PM
quote:
This one time, at Alaan camp:
Precisely. The OEM license is for ONE computer. You did not pay for a tranfserable license. Thats why it is so much cheaper.

Edit: I still kind of laugh at "Pay out the ass" for a piece of software that lasts for 5 years though.

I'm a broke college student, evey little bit counts. Guess I'll just have to buy another copy. On a different note, that means I just use the same XP when I build a new system with my extra parts, yes?

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-08-2007 10:10:18 PM
quote:
Damnati had this to say about Duck Tales:
I'm a broke college student, evey little bit counts. Guess I'll just have to buy another copy. On a different note, that means I just use the same XP when I build a new system with my extra parts, yes?

uh why don't you see if your school has MSDNAA so you can get it for free instead of whining about it

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-08-2007 10:52:05 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Kegwen:
uh why don't you see if your school has MSDNAA so you can get it for free instead of whining about it

No dice on that.

Edit: on a different note, I've been hearing many bad things about Vista, particularly regarding RAM efficiency. Thing is, it's all word of mouth. Can anyone point me to some good reviews on it?

Damnati fucked around with this message on 04-08-2007 at 11:00 PM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-09-2007 02:24:03 AM
quote:
Damnati startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
No dice on that.

Edit: on a different note, I've been hearing many bad things about Vista, particularly regarding RAM efficiency. Thing is, it's all word of mouth. Can anyone point me to some good reviews on it?

There's nothing wrong with Vista's RAM usage. As Maradon! explained recently, superfetch can make it seem like it's eating RAM to no purpose, but it releases it as as when needed. And it's not to no purpose, since Vista will make an effort to use as much of your RAM as it can to speed things up by caching. Anyone who thinks having a huge chunk of unused RAM sitting around equates to efficient memory usage isn't thinking straight; it's quite the opposite.

Bottom line: just like anything, it's going to be painful if you try to run with the absolute, rock-bottom amount of RAM, but there's no problem otherwise. Google "superfetch vista" and skip the whining ignoramuses in favor of the reputable sites and you'll see what's up.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-09-2007 02:27:28 AM
quote:
Bloodsage attempted to be funny by writing:
There's nothing wrong with Vista's RAM usage. As Maradon! explained recently, superfetch can make it seem like it's eating RAM to no purpose, but it releases it as as when needed. And it's not to no purpose, since Vista will make an effort to use as much of your RAM as it can to speed things up by caching. Anyone who thinks having a huge chunk of unused RAM sitting around equates to efficient memory usage isn't thinking straight; it's quite the opposite.

Bottom line: just like anything, it's going to be painful if you try to run with the absolute, rock-bottom amount of RAM, but there's no problem otherwise. Google "superfetch vista" and skip the whining ignoramuses in favor of the reputable sites and you'll see what's up.

Hmm, I haven't heard anything specific as to why it's not efficient, only that it doesn't want to run on anything less than two gigs and that you need more than two gigs if you want to game.

Edit: the other concern I have is with working drivers. I gather that it's not so easy to get functioning Vista drivers for stuff from Nvidia and other (I think Creative was another problem company). As my video and sound cards are by Nvidia and Creative respectively, this could be a problem.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 04-09-2007 at 02:30 AM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-09-2007 02:52:27 AM
Drivers are a legitimate reason to wait, but other than the occasional annoyance they currently work fine.

As for needing more than 2GB of RAM to game, my bet is that's just more hysteria from people who haven't the faintest idea what's going on and panic because they're chasing the RAM/processor use indicator. With 2GB, for example, I can run Supreme Commander on two monitors with everything turned up.

No, you won't be able to run Vista smokingly with 512MB. Yes, 2GB seems to be a sweet spot.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-09-2007 03:13:16 AM
quote:
Bloodsage said this about your mom:
Drivers are a legitimate reason to wait, but other than the occasional annoyance they currently work fine.

As for needing more than 2GB of RAM to game, my bet is that's just more hysteria from people who haven't the faintest idea what's going on and panic because they're chasing the RAM/processor use indicator. With 2GB, for example, I can run Supreme Commander on two monitors with everything turned up.

No, you won't be able to run Vista smokingly with 512MB. Yes, 2GB seems to be a sweet spot.

What kind of video card have you got? I'm curious about how support for Nvidia cards is right now. I imagine my current setup (paired 7900 GTXs in SLI) will last me quite some time provided there's driver support.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-09-2007 03:25:52 AM
I'm using an 8800GTS. There are occasional hiccups, bet it works fine for the most part.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-09-2007 02:27:14 PM
So I've ordered a copy of Vista Home Premium as it goes for about 30 bucks less than an OEM of XP Pro on Newegg. If anyone here has a Core 2 Duo based system with Vista on it, would you mind telling me what sort of performance I should expect? I am particularly interested in how WoW performs on such systems.

Maradon!
posted 04-09-2007 09:52:07 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Damnati who doth quote:
So I've ordered a copy of Vista Home Premium as it goes for about 30 bucks less than an OEM of XP Pro on Newegg. If anyone here has a Core 2 Duo based system with Vista on it, would you mind telling me what sort of performance I should expect? I am particularly interested in how WoW performs on such systems.

That depends heavily on your video card drivers. nVidia drivers on Vista are notoriously bad... ATI users (myself included) have had much better experiences.

Running a core 2 duo 6300 with 1gb of RAM under vista ultimate, average frame rates are probably around 5 fps slower than XP. There's a bit of chop in places where it wouldn't be on XP and I've had at least one crash to desktop that I'd directly attribute to Vista.

As an upshot, though, once Vista learns that you play a lot of WoW, it'll keep textures for common things in superfetch memory - in other words, that lag you usually experience when getting off a windrider where you can see no models is virtually non existant.

Once drivers start picking up the slack, Vista should be decently outperforming XP on systems with 1-2gb of RAM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-10-2007 11:49:14 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Robocop:
That depends heavily on your video card drivers. nVidia drivers on Vista are notoriously bad... ATI users (myself included) have had much better experiences.

Running a core 2 duo 6300 with 1gb of RAM under vista ultimate, average frame rates are probably around 5 fps slower than XP. There's a bit of chop in places where it wouldn't be on XP and I've had at least one crash to desktop that I'd directly attribute to Vista.

As an upshot, though, once Vista learns that you play a lot of WoW, it'll keep textures for common things in superfetch memory - in other words, that lag you usually experience when getting off a windrider where you can see no models is virtually non existant.

Once drivers start picking up the slack, Vista should be decently outperforming XP on systems with 1-2gb of RAM.

Very mixed feelings on that. I'm running the same pair of 7900 GTXs y'all gave me hell for buying a while back and I haven't checked yet what drivers are like for them in Vista.

On a different note, I've heard Vista has a lot of problems with media in general and video in particular. One of the specific problems highlighted was sever lag if you right-click during a flash video. What sort of experiences have folks here had with that?

Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 04-10-2007 01:41:30 PM
ok, this is what I'm going with...

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
16x DVD+/-RW Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU

I'm probably going to buy this video card that mara linked in a previous thread.

My question is that Dell wants to charge 130 for 1gb more of ram (2x512mb). I was looking at NewEgg and was trying to decide if there was a better deal out there. Should I go with the 130 for another of the same ram above or get another couple sticks of my own?

Edit: found
thison fry's website, looks good for 75

Norim Stumpfighter fucked around with this message on 04-10-2007 at 01:51 PM.

Maradon!
posted 04-10-2007 02:53:52 PM
quote:
Damnatiing:
Very mixed feelings on that. I'm running the same pair of 7900 GTXs y'all gave me hell for buying a while back and I haven't checked yet what drivers are like for them in Vista.

As far as I know, nVidia Vista drivers currently have NO SLI support.

You will only be able to use one of your cards until they update.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 04-10-2007 at 02:54 PM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-11-2007 02:15:17 AM
quote:
Maradon! thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
As far as I know, nVidia Vista drivers currently have NO SLI support.

You will only be able to use one of your cards until they update.

So I've noted upon install. I'm currently working on gathering drivers and getting my crap installed so I can function fairly normally.

Alaan
posted 04-11-2007 12:57:41 PM
This may be a silly question, but if you are a "I'm a broke college student," why the fucking fuck are you running SLI?
Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-11-2007 01:41:22 PM
quote:
Alaan got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
This may be a silly question, but if you are a "I'm a broke college student," why the fucking fuck are you running SLI?

Because I was borrowing money anyway to replace my laptop and, since I was going to paying it off for ages, I figured "Why the hell not?".

Edit: Thus far, very very mixed feelings on Vista. Lots of crashing and it doesn't like some of my favorite programs, such as Trillian.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 04-11-2007 at 01:43 PM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-11-2007 02:55:19 PM
So uhh, should my system really be crashing every 15-20 minutes or is this an anomaly of Vista I'm experiencing that will pass soon?

Greenlit
posted 04-11-2007 02:56:31 PM
Your shit's fucked up.

I've been using Vista for over a month, problem free.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-11-2007 02:59:25 PM
quote:
Greenlit thought about the meaning of life:
Your shit's fucked up.

I've been using Vista for over a month, problem free.

Same here. I've not crashed yet.

Please note, though, that most of my IMing/browsing/email is done on my Powerbook. I use Vista for games and watching HD video since my Powerbook can't decode it. Still, though, on the occasions that I do use it for IM and browsing it's not been an issue.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-11-2007 03:03:22 PM
Weird... I've had crashes from such odd little things as resizing Google Desktop's sidebar (I like some of it's gadgets better than Vista's), clicking on Computer when I have that set to display as a menu, or configuring AIM.

Edit: which version of Vista are you guys running?

Damnati fucked around with this message on 04-11-2007 at 03:06 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-11-2007 03:06:45 PM
Vista Business

edit: it was free from my school

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 04-11-2007 at 03:07 PM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-11-2007 03:33:12 PM
Are there vast differences between Business and Home Premium that might explain the instability? What of Ultimate?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-11-2007 03:41:10 PM
I'm pretty sure the difference is all in extra features such as Media Center

feature checklist

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-11-2007 04:41:38 PM
New interesting issue: WoW patches fail because they can't create a shortcut in the start menu. Has anyone run into or heard of this issue?

Greenlit
posted 04-11-2007 05:04:35 PM
What Russian truck flipped over on the highway and dropped your Vista DVD?
Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-11-2007 05:50:43 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Greenlit said this:
What Russian truck flipped over on the highway and dropped your Vista DVD?

That's a really good question. Things seem to be a bit more stable for the moment but I'm not counting on them staying that way.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-11-2007 07:47:44 PM
On a related note, does anyone know of a Mulimeter gadget like the one in the picture for Google Desktop? I like the various system monitor gadgets for Vista's sidebar better but GD I like better overall as I can resize things and it just generally looks nicer. The problem is that I can't find any system monitors for GD that monitor both processor cores independently.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-12-2007 07:43:50 AM
quote:
Damnati startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
New interesting issue: WoW patches fail because they can't create a shortcut in the start menu. Has anyone run into or heard of this issue?

Try running as an admin--that clears up a lot of install problems.

Maradon!
posted 04-12-2007 11:34:10 AM
quote:
Damnatiing:

Yes. Right click the WoW short cut and select run as administrator.

Then go turn off UAC.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 04-13-2007 12:55:15 AM
quote:
Damnati likes to scream this out during sex:

Go to your wow directory, right click on the patch exe and run it as administrator.

Edit: Beaten. oh well.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 04-13-2007 at 12:55 AM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: