EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: My first attempt at Dungeon Mastering
Anakha's Wii
Pancake
posted 04-07-2007 12:04:01 PM
My first session as Dungeon Master with my DnD group is tonight. I was wondering if any of the more experienced DMs on this board had any advice.
"From the depths of my parent's basement, thy has truly struck a blow for nonconformity."
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 04-07-2007 12:15:54 PM
This is a loaded question...

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Greenlit
posted 04-07-2007 12:21:23 PM
At the end of the night: Rocks fall, everyone dies.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-07-2007 12:27:13 PM
Don't go to easy on your PCs just cause you want them to survive to the end of the storyline, etc. Make challenges a matter of life and death where sometimes not everyone is going to pull through.

That was my biggest fault I believe with my DnD games, I'd plan out these intense fights for the PCs but then would pull the punches when it looked like they would be overwhelmed.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-07-2007 06:29:12 PM
If you don't knock someone into the negs you're not trying hard enough.
Zaeron
Pancake
posted 04-07-2007 06:43:42 PM
quote:
Anakha's Wii painfully thought these words up:
My first session as Dungeon Master with my DnD group is tonight. I was wondering if any of the more experienced DMs on this board had any advice.

Don't be afraid to fiddle with the rules. I spent a long time as a DM playing 100% by the rules. When I finally started fudging things, my games got to be a lot more fun.

Always challenge your players, but never overwhelm them and never put them in a position they can't get out of, barring monumental stupidity on their part.

If the fight's supposed to be epic, don't be afraid to beef it up if lucky rolls are making it too easy. Likewise, if the PCs are rolling badly, don't be afraid to pull some of your punches. Nobody likes losing a character because they were unlucky enough to roll three ones in a row on saving throws.

One of my group's favorite rules was what I called the "cool shit" rule. Often, when you reach the higher levels, fights become a matter of 'I hit the monster' repeated over and over, because DnD's 'special' attacks often scale quite poorly. Charging, jumping down at someone, etc really don't add enough to your attack roll to be worth worrying much about when you're throwing around numbers like +20 to hit. So instead I would assign bonuses on the fly, always significant, as long as what the PC was doing made the rest of the group go 'oh man, that's cool'. It made combat a lot more fun.

Most of all, don't kill 'em unless they deserve it.

Tier
posted 04-07-2007 10:10:11 PM
Don't fuss over rules. If an argument breaks out over rules, cut it short and impose a decision. So long as you're consistent.
Greenlit
posted 04-07-2007 10:29:12 PM
Fuck rules, play it in PDQ.
ArchAngel
Not a girl, never will be, no matter how much you may hear differently
posted 04-07-2007 10:50:12 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Zaeron:
Don't be afraid to fiddle with the rules. I spent a long time as a DM playing 100% by the rules. When I finally started fudging things, my games got to be a lot more fun.

Always challenge your players, but never overwhelm them and never put them in a position they can't get out of, barring monumental stupidity on their part.

If the fight's supposed to be epic, don't be afraid to beef it up if lucky rolls are making it too easy. Likewise, if the PCs are rolling badly, don't be afraid to pull some of your punches. Nobody likes losing a character because they were unlucky enough to roll three ones in a row on saving throws.

One of my group's favorite rules was what I called the "cool shit" rule. Often, when you reach the higher levels, fights become a matter of 'I hit the monster' repeated over and over, because DnD's 'special' attacks often scale quite poorly. Charging, jumping down at someone, etc really don't add enough to your attack roll to be worth worrying much about when you're throwing around numbers like +20 to hit. So instead I would assign bonuses on the fly, always significant, as long as what the PC was doing made the rest of the group go 'oh man, that's cool'. It made combat a lot more fun.

Most of all, don't kill 'em unless they deserve it.

You would like Exalted, I think.

"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 04-07-2007 11:56:11 PM
quote:
Greenlit wrote this stupid crap:

Or it's the one place they didn't look. Whichever will annoy the survivors more.

Alaan
posted 04-07-2007 11:59:33 PM
quote:
ArchAngel had this to say about Captain Planet:
You would like Exalted, I think.

Indeed. There are official rules for being a bad ass.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-08-2007 12:00:20 AM
quote:
Xyrra had this to say about pies:
Or it's the one place they didn't look. Whichever will annoy the survivors more.

Nobody ever looks up...except for me. I -always- make it a point to say that I look up when I make Spot/Search checks.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 04-08-2007 at 12:00 AM.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 04-08-2007 02:04:02 AM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Robocop:

Except me.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-08-2007 08:47:38 AM
quote:
Batty had this to say about John Romero:
Except me.

Batty is immortal, Batty has inside him blood of kings,
Batty has no rival, No man can be his equal,
Take him to the future of your world,
Born to be kings, Princes of the universe.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 04-08-2007 11:55:16 AM
Try to remember that D&D isn't the DM versus the players. Not every single encounter has to be life-threatening. Remember that it is perfectly okay for the players to win. In most cases, they're supposed to. However, always punish blatant stupidity.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-08-2007 12:18:20 PM
I always make my scenarios too complicated and it ends up more like storytelling than D&D. I much prefer being a player. But my local group was never that good anyway. After half an hour they got bored and started making the character sheets into paper planes.

Wish there was a good group around here. :/

Zaeron
Pancake
posted 04-08-2007 12:39:27 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about the Spice Girls:
I always make my scenarios too complicated and it ends up more like storytelling than D&D. I much prefer being a player. But my local group was never that good anyway. After half an hour they got bored and started making the character sheets into paper planes.

Wish there was a good group around here. :/

It always surprised me that there isn't an Evercrest DnD group that meets online.

Actually, come to think of it, wasn't there one, a long time ago?

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-08-2007 01:09:02 PM
quote:
Zaeron stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
It always surprised me that there isn't an Evercrest DnD group that meets online.

Actually, come to think of it, wasn't there one, a long time ago?

I ran one on IRC and one on the RP Boards for a while a year or more ago. Faeth has ran several, Zaza as well, Parcelan ran a Warcraft one and maybe others. Oh, and Oz has had a couple.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-08-2007 01:11:17 PM
Online DnD is ok but it doesn't have that spark that real pen and paper sessions have. It's more cold and inflexible.
Alaan
posted 04-08-2007 05:53:56 PM
People are also easily distracted. Combat is especially one slow son of a bitch.
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 04-08-2007 06:13:18 PM
quote:
So quoth Mortious:
Online DnD is ok but it doesn't have that spark that real pen and paper sessions have. It's more cold and inflexible.

That really just depends on the people involved, and what's going on.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Anakha's Wii
Pancake
posted 04-08-2007 07:33:32 PM
Well, the session only had 1 near death, and i had a feeling that that particular encounter might have been a bit much, so I adjusted accordingly. Other than that, the session went rather well. They just got lucky the kobold sorcerer barely missed with his scorching ray.
"From the depths of my parent's basement, thy has truly struck a blow for nonconformity."
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 04-09-2007 02:09:14 AM
quote:
Alaan thought about the meaning of life:
People are also easily distracted. Combat is especially one slow son of a bitch.

BOTs and/or Scripted Software alleviate this. (Not entirely, but some)

Although I've known live games to get even more bogged down during combat, or due to distraction as well, heh.

Or from players splitting up to go thier own ways during an adventure, THAT is always a pain. Avoid writing in story events that leave the suggestion to splitting the party up being advisable. The group may still do it anyway, but if you wrote it in that way yourself, you deserve what you get from having to deal with it.

Kat is my favorite virgin sacrifice! A game was just never right unless I/we could sacrifice Kat somehow, or removed Batty's manhood in some way. Although we usually just left that up to people like Xyrra.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-09-2007 02:18:19 AM
quote:
Anakha's Wii was listening to Cher while typing:
Well, the session only had 1 near death, and i had a feeling that that particular encounter might have been a bit much, so I adjusted accordingly. Other than that, the session went rather well. They just got lucky the kobold sorcerer barely missed with his scorching ray.

In the first session of a game some friends and I started last week, the DM managed a TPK on the second encounter. We're a group of three level 13 Gestalts (Healer/Monk, Fighter/Warmage/Elemental Savant, and myself, a Rogue/Psion) and what we woke up was apparently something around level 16. A big ass shield guardian in the second to last section of World's Largest Dungeon. We decided we were going to call it all a very bad dream for our characters and started over.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Zaeron
Pancake
posted 04-09-2007 05:59:27 AM
quote:
Damnati stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
In the first session of a game some friends and I started last week, the DM managed a TPK on the second encounter. We're a group of three level 13 Gestalts (Healer/Monk, Fighter/Warmage/Elemental Savant, and myself, a Rogue/Psion) and what we woke up was apparently something around level 16. A big ass shield guardian in the second to last section of World's Largest Dungeon. We decided we were going to call it all a very bad dream for our characters and started over.

How did 3 13th level Gestalts lose to anything CR 16? I've been playing a game with 4th level Gestalts on and off for about four months now, and we've taken stuff up to CR 10-12 and come out alive. Admittedly, not by much, and there were times when it didn't look like we were gonna make it. I figure by the time we hit 10-12, the only thing that'll challenge us will be epic stuff or maybe some of the bigger dragons.

Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 04-09-2007 08:58:27 AM
quote:
Katrinity's fortune cookie read:
I ran one on IRC and one on the RP Boards for a while a year or more ago. Faeth has ran several, Zaza as well, Parcelan ran a Warcraft one and maybe others. Oh, and Oz has had a couple.

Yeah. Running a Victorian steampunk game off the Fuzion system these days, on the online since my friends and I are scattered around the country for college.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-09-2007 01:47:12 PM
quote:
Zaeron Model 2000 was programmed to say:
How did 3 13th level Gestalts lose to anything CR 16? I've been playing a game with 4th level Gestalts on and off for about four months now, and we've taken stuff up to CR 10-12 and come out alive. Admittedly, not by much, and there were times when it didn't look like we were gonna make it. I figure by the time we hit 10-12, the only thing that'll challenge us will be epic stuff or maybe some of the bigger dragons.

For one thing, it wasn't just the shield guardian, we got ambushed by a group of gargoyles as well. In addition, I don't think it was a normal shield guardian. He referred to it as "EL 16" and we didn't get thoroughly owned; we nearly killed the guardian but it made some royally badass attack rolls that crushed myself and the monk. After we died, my dragon cohort and the elemental savant dropped it before being raped by the gargoyles.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 04-09-2007 at 01:53 PM.

Greenlit
posted 04-09-2007 01:51:01 PM
I hate everything you people stand for.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: