EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Boston.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 04-03-2007 10:53:44 AM
So there's a good chance I'm going to be promoted and transferred to the Boston/Cambridge area. Anything I should know in advance from the people who live out that way?

I hate this nervous feeling.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-03-2007 11:01:40 AM
Hope you love cold weather, horrendous traffic, a high cost of living, and a complete lack of wide-open spaces.

But other than that, it's fine.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-03-2007 11:03:38 AM
Heck, Karnaj just described the region I live in.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 04-03-2007 11:03:56 AM
Beware the Big Dig.
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-03-2007 11:12:10 AM
quote:
Tarquinn put down Tada! magazine long enough to type:
Heck, Karnaj just described the region I live in.

The Ruhrgebiet and the BosWash megalopolis (the area of the US including Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington) are basically the same thing.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 04-03-2007 11:29:12 AM
Not much different from where I am now except for cold instead of hot.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-03-2007 11:41:34 AM
Don't worry, I might be moving to Wisconsin soon, too! I'll need a whole new wardrobe We can be "move to the north" buddies!

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 04-03-2007 at 11:42 AM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-03-2007 11:45:01 AM
I think Bane lives there.

Have fun with that.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-03-2007 11:46:23 AM
Oh, I forgot. If you move to Boston, you have to get gay married for the first six months you're there. State law.

Beer.

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 04-03-2007 11:50:12 AM
I wanna move back to MA :/

New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 04-03-2007 12:13:54 PM
As Kegwen said I live there, so run away? Though I've grown up from the drug induced hippie of yesteryear. Now I'm the trendy gay professional that is known in the scene for being adorable.

The city is nice, though horribly layed out it will take you time to figure out how to get around. The people are nice for the most part, plenty of crap to do during the summer though its kinda dead during the winter. Its a college town so when school is session there is a huge student population.

Its not a bad place live, just the bars shut down at 2

New Age Bane fucked around with this message on 04-03-2007 at 12:15 PM.

What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Maradon!
posted 04-03-2007 12:22:57 PM
quote:
New Age Baneing:
just the bars shut down at 2

that's... not unusual

New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 04-03-2007 12:38:14 PM
quote:
Maradon! wrote this stupid crap:
that's... not unusual

True but when you go to a real city, like New York they don't close till 6.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 04-03-2007 01:16:56 PM
quote:
How.... New Age Bane.... uughhhhhh:

In Oklahoma it is illegal to buy or sell alcohol after 2AM. And the liquor stores all close at 9PM. Grocery stores only sell 3.2 beer or less.

What do two indians having sex in a canoe and Oklahoma beer have in common?

It's fucking near water.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-03-2007 01:22:11 PM
quote:
New Age Bane got served! New Age Bane got served!

Try Berlin sometime. The bars close when you leave, be that at 2 AM, 4 AM, or even 10 AM. It's great in the summertime, too, because you can hit up a bar at 9:30 PM while it's still light out, drink the entire night, leave at 4:30 AM, and it'll be light out again.

Beer.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 04-03-2007 01:31:32 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Karnaj said this:
Try Berlin sometime. The bars close when you leave, be that at 2 AM, 4 AM, or even 10 AM. It's great in the summertime, too, because you can hit up a bar at 9:30 PM while it's still light out, drink the entire night, leave at 4:30 AM, and it'll be light out again.

What the crap, where I am they roll up the sidewalks at 1700 and bar the doors

Even had the german operators shut off the washracks on me at 1630! HELLO MY HUMVEE IS STILL COVERED IN MUD JEEZE.

Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 04-03-2007 01:41:24 PM
quote:
Bajah was naked while typing this:
So there's a good chance I'm going to be promoted and transferred to the Boston/Cambridge area. Anything I should know in advance from the people who live out that way?

Way to steal my moving thunder.

Skaw
posted 04-03-2007 04:27:32 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about (_|_):
Hope you love cold weather, horrendous traffic, a high cost of living, and a complete lack of wide-open spaces.

But other than that, it's fine.

You left out the whole city believing lite brights to be bombs.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-03-2007 04:38:32 PM
But hey, if you're up in Boston, I could easily visit you, as my hetero life mate is going to be up there for grad school for the next couple years and I'd be visiting him anyway.

Beer.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 04-03-2007 05:08:16 PM
Give me time to install locks on the sock drawers.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-03-2007 05:15:55 PM
I promise nothing. Besides, after seeing the wall deuce the other day, I may have found a whole new medium in which to hone my craft.

Beer.

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 04-03-2007 08:37:17 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Don't worry, I might be moving to Wisconsin soon, too! I'll need a whole new wardrobe We can be "move to the north" buddies!

Heheh. Try 2 new wardrobes. Besides the heavy pack you'll need for the dead of winter there's also the horrible spring and fall rains that make it seem like Seattle at times. So you'll need rain gear and some lighter jackets for the cold of spring and fall. Yes there's actually 4 seasons in Wisconsin. (Unless you're coming to the far North of Wisconsin in which case there's really only 2 seasons.... Winter and Road Construction.

http://www.bloodfin.net
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-03-2007 08:50:02 PM
quote:
Kaglaaz How'ler had this to say about John Romero:
Heheh. Try 2 new wardrobes. Besides the heavy pack you'll need for the dead of winter there's also the horrible spring and fall rains that make it seem like Seattle at times. So you'll need rain gear and some lighter jackets for the cold of spring and fall. Yes there's actually 4 seasons in Wisconsin. (Unless you're coming to the far North of Wisconsin in which case there's really only 2 seasons.... Winter and Road Construction.

I'm so scared. I've also been told I'd probably want something other than a Mustang to drive too.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 04-03-2007 09:34:33 PM
quote:
Bajah had this to say about dark elf butts:

You're going to come back to Texas talking funny!

-H

Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 04-03-2007 09:41:08 PM
Boston is interesting. I may be moving up there myself shortly.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 04-03-2007 10:31:52 PM
Well, shit. Having Ozi around would alone make it worth moving up there, imo.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-04-2007 01:48:20 AM
quote:
From the book of Hellbender, chapter 3, verse 16:

-H

Southern accent living in Boston.

That sounds like fun!

Blackened
posted 04-04-2007 02:51:10 AM
quote:
Hellbender.

-H

Normally, I'd make a joke about how Texans are the ones who speak like inbred, mutated freaks. Sadly, I do have to agree with this point. Bostonians DO sound fucking weird with their accent.

"Lobstah."

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 04-04-2007 10:54:32 AM
It's okay Bajah. I live close enough to drive up and visit. I will keep you safe from the East Coast.

Actually...it'll probably be the East Coast I have to keep safe from you. But I accept the challenge!

BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 04-04-2007 01:03:28 PM
quote:
En Garde, Monsieur Blackened! Them's Fightin words:
Bostonians DO sound fucking weird with their accent.

"Lobstah."

I love american accents (all sorts!)

They're so different My favourites have to be any from around the Georgia state though.

edit: Grammar is gud.

BeauChan fucked around with this message on 04-04-2007 at 01:04 PM.

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 04-04-2007 01:18:34 PM
quote:
Blackened's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Normally, I'd make a joke about how Texans are the ones who speak like inbred, mutated freaks. Sadly, I do have to agree with this point. Bostonians DO sound fucking weird with their accent.

"Lobstah."

You do understand that those people with those accents are extreme cases and mainly from the coast.

Most strive not have such an accent since it is both offensive to the ears and most people hate the stigma associate with it.

Gadani
U
posted 04-04-2007 03:50:49 PM
quote:
Bajah's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:

It's more than a feeling...

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 04-04-2007 04:16:16 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about John Romero:
Southern accent living in Boston.

That sounds like fun!

And sheep farmers we shall be
For thee, mah lawd, for thee
Power has come down from your hand
That mah feet shall do what you says
We will make the river flow to thee
And giggin frogs, shall you ever be

We Nominate Pastries, And Feelings, And spirits are saintly.

YEEHAW!

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 04-04-2007 06:52:31 PM
quote:
Karnaj's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:

Bars out here are 24 hours, bitches.

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 04-04-2007 09:33:17 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I'm so scared. I've also been told I'd probably want something other than a Mustang to drive too.

Save up and get Bridgestone Blizzak tires for wintertime. They're well worth the money. You don't need to get something different to drive if you don't want to. Is what you need to learn is to counter-steer. The Pixar/Disney movie "Cars" explains counter-steering when Doc is trying to teach Lightning how to turn on dirt. You would use much the same principles when the ass end of your vehicle started to get away from you on snow and ice covered roads.

http://www.bloodfin.net
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 04-05-2007 12:48:09 AM
quote:
Blackened enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:

"Lobstah."

The irony of the comment was intentional.

-H

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 04-05-2007 01:27:58 AM
rear wheel drive and snow/ice do not play well together.

get something front wheel or all wheel drive and a standard.

Blackened
posted 04-05-2007 02:03:37 AM
quote:
New Age Bane.
You do understand that those people with those accents are extreme cases and mainly from the coast.

Most strive not have such an accent since it is both offensive to the ears and most people hate the stigma associate with it.

Yes, I only used to live in MA.

I do not miss it much.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-05-2007 07:20:31 AM
The Boston accent is only a major thing in certain parts of the city. So.

The traffic thing is a bitch. If you're at all lucky you'll be able to get around via the T. Learn the T. Love the T. But do not LIVE in the T. Just wouldn't work out.

Avoid anything related to the Big Dig like the plague. Even if a chunk of ceiling doesn't drop out and squash your future bride, it's the perpetual plague of anyone living in or around Boston.

Enjoy all the academia around the colleges (Harvard and Boston U). There used to be about fifty bajillion bookstores catering to every conceivable interest nestled in every conceivable nook and cranny down in that college hive area. I remember going down there with my Dad when I was a kid and finding all sorts of weird treasures.

Make Way For Ducklings. Or the Bostonians will fucking LYNCH you.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: