EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Worriars spec
Maradon!
posted 04-01-2007 11:30:24 AM
Right now I'm a 42 point arms dump. I'm going to start leveling up with two of my buddies who play mages, so I wanna have a decent tank spec that is also good at solo PVE for when they are not online.

Trouble is that I know jack shit about warrior specs and haven't even played one in months.

What's the deal with the new talents and stuff? Should heroic strike really be doing more damage than mortal?

Maradon!
posted 04-01-2007 01:33:15 PM
I'm thinking of something like this.

Is this awesome?
[y/n]

Aaron (the good one)
posted 04-01-2007 02:08:01 PM
You don't need to go protection unless you plan on tanking for raid instances. What you do need is an intelligent group that can control their aggro and not want lots of huge numbers on their screen. If you aren't going to PvP with your warrior, go Fury. If you are going to PvP, go Arms.
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Led
*kaboom*
posted 04-01-2007 02:14:59 PM
Heroic strike never does more damage than mortal strike. And it costs way more rage per damage point.

Heroic strike takes upwards of 22 to 30 rage (depending on spec and what weapon you are using) for a fixed amount of additional damage, because it modifies the next melee attack to a special attack. Not white damage. The extra cost comes from the fact that that hit is not generating any rage.

Mortal strike, on the other hand, is an instant attack that does not take place of the next hit, so it does not have that additional rage cost. Its damage is all from the mortal strike ability itself, so it in effect does more damage for less rage ;x

Pretty much as soon as you get mortal strike, you will never ever use heroic strike again unless you have spare rage to blow while tanking (generates extra threat, more than just spamming sunder armor after five are stacked).

What kind of spec are you going for? PvP or PvE? The one you linked there would make an okie PvP spec if you plan on doing both damage and tanking, but it kind of sucks at both. Improved rend is worthless, you did not take a weapon spec, weapon mastery is worthless, blood frenzy is a very PvE talent, you do not have second wind (!), and improved mortal strike is a complete waste of five talent points especially since you did not take the 41 point talent. Anticipation, defiance, and toughness are okie, I guess. But you will be a pretty crappy tank anyways since you did not pick up the really good tanky skills in the defensive tree.

If you want to PvP/DPS, it is best to go arms/fury. Gimmie a moment to make a talent plan...

PvP arms/fury.

Much better. Second wind is a godsend of a talent, especially against mages. Enrage will boost your damage output by quite a bit, and improved intercept is a GREAT PvP talent. The two points in improved slam are not exactly the greatest, but you can really spit out some crazy burst damage if you can catch someone standing still. Also works spiffy for fighting monsters. I just picked poleaxe spec for funsies, you can move those five points anywhere else. Just be sure to pick one, it is just dumb not to ;x

Led
*kaboom*
posted 04-01-2007 02:16:03 PM
quote:
Delidgamond said this about your mom:
You don't need to go protection unless you plan on tanking for raid instances. What you do need is an intelligent group that can control their aggro and not want lots of huge numbers on their screen. If you aren't going to PvP with your warrior, go Fury. If you are going to PvP, go Arms.

Fury is perfectly viable, it has a lot to do with your playstyle. I am using a hybrid 2h fury build right now, and its burst damage is absolutely insane ;x

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-01-2007 02:32:58 PM
Warriors are meant to stick MS on someone so they can't be healed. MS is the touch of death in arena.
Led
*kaboom*
posted 04-01-2007 02:54:12 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Naimah wrote:
Warriors are meant to stick MS on someone so they can't be healed. MS is the touch of death in arena.

This is true, enough that everyone is bitching and want it nerfed

I do not think I will ever be on an arena team, let alone well geared enough to be competitive. So I will continue to use fury :3

Tier
posted 04-01-2007 03:20:50 PM
Arms is awful, awful, awful for tanking. Apart from Parry and Second Wind, the whole tree is pretty much invalidated in a tanking situation. Personally I went with something like this:

Fury/Prot hybrid

It might seem odd but 1h weapon spec plus Fury works out wonderfully. You end up doing a lot more white damage hits than bloodthirst hits, so if you ignore big numbers this actually results in much better sustained dps. I averaged 300 on even cons at L70. You can swap some of the imp. 2 wield for imp. slam if you plan on getting decent 2 handers, improved slam is great to dump accumulated rage.

Anticipation isn't as handy as Tactical Mastery or Imp Bloodrage, especially with expansion gear having a metric on of defense on it so I skipped that since it doesn't scale well. I still managed to reach immunity to crits from L73s.

Overall this is quite a nonstandard build, but it's surprisingly effective. The warriors in my guild that tried it out swear by it for PvE. But don't expect to be doing the harder heroics with it, I ended up going full protection.

Asha'man fucked around with this message on 04-01-2007 at 03:21 PM.

Maradon!
posted 04-01-2007 05:31:05 PM
I don't understand what's so awesome about second wind. Are you really stunned that frequently? And what's wrong with weapon mastery? Seems like being inherently immune to disarm would be about as awesome as being inherently immune to silence.

I'd like to not SUCK at pvp, but it absolutely is not a major concern as I do not plan on actively taking this character into pvp (which is ironic since I started this alt to be a purely pvp character, but I digress)

Alls I want is to be able to:

1) Solo grind to 70 very well

2) Be a relatively competent tank in non-heroic, non-raid instances.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 04-01-2007 05:47:08 PM
quote:
Rockstar games presents; Maradon!;

That depends on you, not your spec

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Led
*kaboom*
posted 04-01-2007 05:53:09 PM
I don't understand what's so awesome about second wind. Are you really stunned that frequently?
Stunned OR rooted. Helps out incredibly versus the classes that do those things to you. A lot of classes have those abilities... paladins, rogues, druids, mages, shadowpriests, other warriors. Free rage and heals are always awesome.

And what's wrong with weapon mastery? Seems like being inherently immune to disarm would be about as awesome as being inherently immune to silence.

Only two classes disarm you. Warriors and rogues specced for it. Warriors almost never disarm, and rogues are really not that much of a problem as a warrior. If it is really ticking you off, keep a weapon with a weapon chain handy. Also, you can still use bloodthirst while disarmed, and can still overpower with your offhand if you are DW :3

I'd like to not SUCK at pvp, but it absolutely is not a major concern as I do not plan on actively taking this character into pvp (which is ironic since I started this alt to be a purely pvp character, but I digress)

This is ultimately up to you. Spec can help out immeasurably, but even the best spec cannot help someone without the proper fighting spirit xD

Alls I want is to be able to:

1) Solo grind to 70 very well

DW fury is the best leveling spec (highest PvE DPS), and any spec can tank non-heroic stuff.

Maradon!
posted 04-01-2007 05:59:34 PM
You'd think that, but I've grouped with some warriors... well, let's just say in Underbog it took a longer time for my dress wearing ass to drop. Literally.
Led
*kaboom*
posted 04-01-2007 06:29:57 PM
Player skill is 98% of tanking. 1% is gear, 1% is spec.

There is an INCREDIBLE amount of nuance in being a good tank. I doubt I could even begin to touch on it all here x_x

Where are you right now? What have you tanked so far? Have you gotten your groups killed a lot, or are you an innate genius?

Razor
posted 04-01-2007 07:13:19 PM
I ground out as a prot Warr from day one. was/am I insane, yes. but I had better survivability than any other person I played with. Current spec is 5,5,51 because I'm MT'ing instances most of the time, this is also what happens to be most of our warriors spec. Overall, you have a decent spec for a DPSing in PvP. I agree w/ Asha'man on that spec for the hybrid as one of our other warriors uses something similar, still effictive as a tank, but I can still hold aggro better, I can't do the DPS though as effictively.

FYI Duel Wield DPS >> 2h DPS in ANY build atm. for sustained DPS. Snap DPS 2h is better.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Blackened
posted 04-01-2007 07:32:50 PM
quote:
Led.
How about we don't start exaggerating just yet.

It's really closer to 60% skill, 10% gear and 40% spec. Take two players of equal skill and gear and spec one Arms or Fury, one Protection. The difference is definitely there.

Edit - But to answer the question, just go Fury for now. It's the best solo Warrior tree and it will give you more returns in tanking than Arms will.

Blackened fucked around with this message on 04-01-2007 at 07:33 PM.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-01-2007 09:23:22 PM
If you wanted to be useful in a group and be able to solo, why wouldn't you play a Druid?
Maradon!
posted 04-01-2007 09:56:53 PM
Because I don't already have a 60 druid with 300 mining and herbalism
Taeldian
Pancake
posted 04-02-2007 03:19:47 AM
quote:
From the book of Led, chapter 3, verse 16:

There is an INCREDIBLE amount of nuance in being a good tank. I doubt I could even begin to touch on it all here x_x

Where are you right now? What have you tanked so far? Have you gotten your groups killed a lot, or are you an innate genius?

Spec plays a much more significant role in tanking than it used to.

You can tank without any points in prot, but you're holding your DPS back.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 04-02-2007 12:33:52 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Blackened wrote:
It's really closer to 60% skill, 10% gear and 40% spec.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Pancake
posted 04-02-2007 12:46:29 PM
The only problem I found leveling fury is having the +hit to actually hit things with my offhand, especially at low levels. I've been arms for a long time though, leveled 10-70 using a big ole axe. I found second wind and blood craze great for leveling.
Maradon!
posted 04-02-2007 01:22:43 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Inferno-Spirit booooze lime pole over bench lick:

I think that's a subtle way of saying that it takes 110% to be a good tank.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 04-02-2007 09:11:24 PM
quote:
Maradon! was listening to Cher while typing:

I've never liked the phrase "110%", or any variant thereof, and not because of the mathematical ridiculousness.

If an idiot gives 110%, he's still a fucking idiot. He's just a little bit better than the other idiots.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Blackened
posted 04-02-2007 11:45:44 PM
quote:
Maradon!.
This.

There are good tanks and then there are pro tanks.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Greenlit
posted 04-03-2007 09:31:26 AM
There are also pub tanks, warriors who tank while intoxicated.

Those are my favorite tanks.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 04-03-2007 10:38:26 AM
quote:
Greenlit Model 2000 was programmed to say:
There are also pub tanks, warriors who tank while intoxicated.

I logged in hammered off my ass last week and was invited by some PUG for CoT: Durnholde and didn't tell them I was drunk.

Hilarity ensued and there are four people who will never group with me ever again.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: