EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Hey Gaiman fans!
Alaan
posted 03-27-2007 02:09:29 AM
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 03-27-2007 02:21:55 AM
that looks amazing.

must see it.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 03-27-2007 02:23:46 AM
Hmm... can't seem to get the trailers to work for some reason

/megasadface

Alaan
posted 03-27-2007 02:26:00 AM
Have quicktime installed?

And I am also rather excited. A nice early birthday present to me.

Vorago
posted 03-27-2007 02:27:09 AM
Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 03-27-2007 02:53:18 AM
Alaan
posted 03-27-2007 02:57:12 AM
Nicole Kidman was frightening towards the end.
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 03-27-2007 04:24:17 AM
Don't you mean Michelle Pfeiffer? How could you confuse the two
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Ares
posted 03-27-2007 10:38:16 AM
Alaan
posted 03-27-2007 11:46:39 AM
quote:
Vernaltemptress spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Don't you mean Michelle Pfeiffer? How could you confuse the two

It was 2 in the morning, so sue me!

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 03-27-2007 01:03:05 PM
quote:
Ares was naked while typing this:
Why did they use such older actors?

I think everyone looks very much the part, honestly. Whose casting in particular annoys you?
Ares
posted 03-27-2007 01:36:11 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Xyrra was all like:
I think everyone looks very much the part, honestly. Whose casting in particular annoys you?

Tristan, Yvain and Victoria. In the book they are supposed to be 17(minus Yvian, cause I don't think stars have an age... While I like their 'look', late 20-somethings don't make for 17 year olds. Guess I'll have to see the film to see if it works. (I also couldn't get the trailer to work)

Vorago
posted 03-27-2007 02:59:58 PM
quote:
Ares thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
(I also couldn't get the trailer to work)

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809426615/trailer

That was the one that worked for me when the original didn't

Ares
posted 03-27-2007 03:44:50 PM
Hmm.. Thanks Vorago.

I think when I see this movie, I won't enjoy it so much because I've read the book so many times... There seems to be quite a bit of 'artistic freedom' in it that wasn't in the book. That happens with most movie adaptions, I guess.

Michelle Pfeiffer as the witch is goooood. Creepy make-up.

Alaan
posted 03-27-2007 05:21:46 PM
quote:
Neil Gaiman stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
I like the trailer. I've been shown a lot of other trailers for Stardust in the last six months, and was astonished to see how much they varied and the impression they seemed to give, and I realised how close the recut trailers for The Shining and The Parent Trap and Mary Poppins were to the truth. Trailers and films only bear a tangential relationship to each other. (Take a look at the three links above if you doubt this.)

In November I saw, for example, one trailer for Stardust that gave the impression it was a film about three witches on their quest to become young again. I saw one trailer that didn't seem to be about anything, but still left you feeling like you'd seen (and not enjoyed) the whole movie, which wasn't any movie that had ever been made. There was even a trailer that gave the impression that this was a film all about Tristran's quest to discover the riddle of his birth, which he solved by becoming a sky-pirate.

The current trailer, the one you can see right now on yahoo movies, is aimed at people who have never heard of Stardust, and it gives you the set-up (he's going to cross the wall to bring back a fallen star for the girl he's in love with) and what happens next (the star is actually a girl) and a sense that After That Lots of Stuff Happens. That the trailer-makers constructed the trailer in question by assembling and juxtaposing footage from one place and putting it beside another (at one point a scene that you think you're seeing is made by splicing together two events almost twenty years apart), editorially creating dialogue (including actually changing words or putting different dialogue on scenes) and so on, is perfectly par for the course in trailer-building. That they went with the sword-fightingy bits and a lot of running around rather than the love story for the Stuff Happens is fair enough -- you only have two minutes, after all.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: