EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Thinking of picking up this game
Ryuujin
posted 03-25-2007 06:52:53 PM
Lately I'm bored with WoW and looking for something new. I've played the game a little in the trial, but does anyone play this game or can offer some insight into it? Thanks.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 03-25-2007 07:27:12 PM
I played for a while, but it was long enough ago that I know they've made major changes to it. They were talking about some they were going to make when I quit.

I would suggest checking out CoH if you want a short break from WoW. You can get the Good vs Evil version at alot of stores now, and it's fairly friendly to short bursts of play.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Willias
Pancake
posted 03-25-2007 07:50:21 PM
Original game is kinda boring, but if you stick to Faydwer, the content there is pretty awesome.
Gadani
U
posted 03-25-2007 10:55:19 PM
It's very fun.

e: need to update my character info, that was 10 levels ago D:

Gadani fucked around with this message on 03-25-2007 at 11:21 PM.

Ryuujin
posted 03-26-2007 12:21:44 AM
The game I'm really waiting for is Huxley, however that's no where in sight at the moment.
Maradon!
posted 03-26-2007 12:23:30 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Ryuujin who doth quote:
The game I'm really waiting for is Warhammer 40k Online, however that's no where in sight at the moment.
Skaw
posted 03-26-2007 12:47:54 AM
Think World of Warcraft.

Now, remove the muppetry, and replace them with plastic dolls.

That pretty much sums up EQII in it's current state. From what I've seen watching others play, anyway.

Gadani
U
posted 03-26-2007 12:51:40 AM
quote:
Skaw attempted to be funny by writing:
Think World of Warcraft.

That pretty much sums up EQII in it's current state. From what I've seen watching others play, anyway.

No.

Willias
Pancake
posted 03-26-2007 01:14:27 AM
quote:
Skaw had this to say about Tron:
Think World of Warcraft.

Not quite.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-26-2007 01:15:18 AM
I wouldn't recommend it unless you're picking it up with a couple of friends who will level along with you. After about level 45 or so, things stop being truly soloable.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Malbi
posted 03-26-2007 12:23:43 PM
quote:
Damnati was listening to Cher while typing:
I wouldn't recommend it unless you're picking it up with a couple of friends who will level along with you. After about level 45 or so, things stop being truly soloable.

considering I I have 2 characters post 45 who are not having a problem soloing, and a lvl 41 warden who is still having a decent ability to solo I have to dissagree, with the exception of maybe the plated healers, and bards, most of EQ2's classes are able to solo effectively, as long as you make sure to make good use of broker and keep your abilities at least at adept 1 or app4 level, and upgrade your equipment regularly.

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 03-26-2007 12:36:08 PM
i found it next to impossible to solo past 20 myself. granted that was before faydwer, so it may be different now.
Willias
Pancake
posted 03-26-2007 01:00:19 PM
quote:
Malbi had this to say about Punky Brewster:
considering I I have 2 characters post 45 who are not having a problem soloing, and a lvl 41 warden who is still having a decent ability to solo I have to dissagree, with the exception of maybe the plated healers, and bards, most of EQ2's classes are able to solo effectively, as long as you make sure to make good use of broker and keep your abilities at least at adept 1 or app4 level, and upgrade your equipment regularly.

Seriously, this is probably the most important thing: Keep your abilities upgraded.

They make a bigger difference in a fight than the armor or weapons you're using.

Willias
Pancake
posted 03-26-2007 01:03:14 PM
quote:
Trent said this about your mom:
i found it next to impossible to solo past 20 myself. granted that was before faydwer, so it may be different now.

I soloed past 30 just fine on my fae paladin.

Hunting aviaks in Butcherblock was pretty fun too.

Also played Necromancer and Shadowknight to 29 or so and it wasn't difficult to solo anything.

Best exp is fighting heroics though, and those really aren't soloable unless you're extremely well equipped.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-26-2007 01:40:16 PM
I tried to play the demo that came with a game magazine I bought not too long ago, but damned if the fucking station thingamabobber would let be have a username--it wouldn't accept anything, and wouldn't tell me what the problem was, but just kept going back to the screen again.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Gadani
U
posted 03-26-2007 02:05:31 PM
my character is like level 41 and i still don't have problems soloing.

Maybe you just don't know where to hunt >;[

Willias
Pancake
posted 03-26-2007 02:40:00 PM
Wizards are pretty good soloers aren't they?
Gadani
U
posted 03-26-2007 03:11:07 PM
quote:
Willias had this to say about (_|_):
Wizards are pretty good soloers aren't they?

Yeah.

Maradon!
posted 03-26-2007 03:50:59 PM
Seems a lot like EQ1 where soloing was a matter of finding the (singular) place that your class was actually able to grind stuff.

tons o' fun.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 03-26-2007 03:54:36 PM
On a side note, (at least when the game first came out) the combat combo system seemed intriguing and lead to some cool shit.
Willias
Pancake
posted 03-26-2007 05:05:24 PM
quote:
Blindy.'s fortune cookie read:
On a side note, (at least when the game first came out) the combat combo system seemed intriguing and lead to some cool shit.

I like the combo system, but they haven't done anything with it really since release.

Which is sad because it's one of EQ2's strong points.

quote:
Seems a lot like EQ1 where soloing was a matter of finding the (singular) place that your class was actually able to grind stuff.

Not really. I don't think any character I played had much problem soloing things unless I fought a caster mob, or messed with heroics, which are the elite mobs of EQ2.

EQ2 is also more rewarding for groups (especially small ones) compared to Warcraft. In a group you can level crazy fast compared to WoW.

Willias fucked around with this message on 03-26-2007 at 05:05 PM.

Malbi
posted 03-26-2007 07:07:08 PM
quote:
Willias stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Not really. I don't think any character I played had much problem soloing things unless I fought a caster mob, or messed with heroics, which are the elite mobs of EQ2.

EQ2 is also more rewarding for groups (especially small ones) compared to Warcraft. In a group you can level crazy fast compared to WoW.

nah solo you shouldn't be mindlessly grinding questing is much more rewarding solo method to level and if someone is having trouble soling past 45 my guess is that they are trying to do it in old world zones like Lavastorm, Everfrost and Feerott.

The first two were never designed to be soloed really. Sinking Sands and Steamfont are the prime places to go post 45 for soloers.

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Willias
Pancake
posted 03-26-2007 09:04:39 PM
I think we can agree on the fact that original EQ2 was developed with SOE thinking they'd have the market, and everything post that is much better due to SOE getting punched in the balls by Blizzard and Warcraft.
Demos
Pancake
posted 03-26-2007 09:32:17 PM
I might consider going back; how are Defilers and Shadowknights?
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Willias
Pancake
posted 03-26-2007 11:30:55 PM
Shadowknights are pretty cool, don't know about defilers.

Only problem with SKs are that their class specific AAs don't really do much for the class (paladins are holy shit awesome in this regard), and a lot of people don't see too much use for them in the end game. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure the only other tank class that really compares to the damage that they can dish out when equipped and specced properly is Berserker. Focus on INT and STR plate (something that is very difficult to do as most plate gives STR, STA, and WIS), and keep all of your spells at APP4 or higher, and you'll be able to demolish most of the stuff you come in contact with. The higher your INT, the more damage your disease effects will do and spells will do. (Just remember that since you're playing a tank class, you also can't let your STA and WIS stats fall too low either. WIS increases resists, STA=HP.) Finally, when spending Achievement points, go for the INT line in the cross-class AAs first, and max out Increased Spell Crit ASAP. With 8 points, you'll have around 70% spell crit, which will make your life much easier as a SK.

Willias fucked around with this message on 03-26-2007 at 11:32 PM.

Malbi
posted 03-27-2007 01:48:53 AM
quote:
Willias wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Shadowknights are pretty cool, don't know about defilers.

Only problem with SKs are that their class specific AAs don't really do much for the class (paladins are holy shit awesome in this regard), and a lot of people don't see too much use for them in the end game. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure the only other tank class that really compares to the damage that they can dish out when equipped and specced properly is Berserker. Focus on INT and STR plate (something that is very difficult to do as most plate gives STR, STA, and WIS), and keep all of your spells at APP4 or higher, and you'll be able to demolish most of the stuff you come in contact with. The higher your INT, the more damage your disease effects will do and spells will do. (Just remember that since you're playing a tank class, you also can't let your STA and WIS stats fall too low either. WIS increases resists, STA=HP.) Finally, when spending Achievement points, go for the INT line in the cross-class AAs first, and max out Increased Spell Crit ASAP. With 8 points, you'll have around 70% spell crit, which will make your life much easier as a SK.

Im going to disagree with you there adding life tap effects to one of your dots and harm touch ability is a huge advantage. When soloing that big swing combo of a massive damage to an mob and usually a gain of more than a bubble of hp is a good 15 minute emergency spell. Reducing the recast time on the lifetap spell increases your dps and keeps hp stable, on most days I've been able to go into a fight and end the fight still in green. My SK seems to be in the minority in that I favor the mastercrafted Devout line of armor with its INT, STR, STA, bonuses over the vanguard plate that has the same mitigation but STR, STA, and AGI. That and when solo if your not fighting heroics useing the offensive stance and its massive Int increase will make you have very good dps.

Malbi fucked around with this message on 03-27-2007 at 01:50 AM.

Demos
Pancake
posted 03-27-2007 02:48:23 AM
Are SK's still kind of the emergency aggro managers they were in EQ1, or are they now more like main tanks or offtanks in WoW?
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Ryuujin
posted 03-27-2007 04:32:11 AM
So I downloaded the trial and I've been dicking around a bit with it. Is it still possible to convert to Good if you're evil? I really want an Iksar Monk.
Gadani
U
posted 03-27-2007 08:03:58 AM
quote:
Ryuujin wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
So I downloaded the trial and I've been dicking around a bit with it. Is it still possible to convert to Good if you're evil? I really want an Iksar Monk.

Yes, I have an Iksar Monk.

Willias
Pancake
posted 03-27-2007 11:51:59 AM
quote:
Demos had this to say about John Romero:
Are SK's still kind of the emergency aggro managers they were in EQ1, or are they now more like main tanks or offtanks in WoW?

I'm not really sure where SKs stand taunt-wise. Most of SK threat comes from the damage they dish out, and at high levels, Death March, but they're definitely not the aggro managers that they were in EQ1.

Willias
Pancake
posted 03-27-2007 11:53:45 AM
quote:
Ryuujin painfully thought these words up:

Yes, and you can start the quest line in either capital starting at level 10 (though I'd wait until 20).

HOWEVER, if you convert a character to Kelethin, I don't think Kelethin characters can become evil yet (last I played anyway).

Edit: Actually, Kelethin characters can betray as of the last patch.

Willias fucked around with this message on 03-27-2007 at 11:59 AM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: