EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Thoughts?
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 03-19-2007 08:57:49 PM
Baby hatch installed in hospitals to (hopefully) cut down on abortions.

I'm all for this and any other programs that can help surprised mothers give up their illegitimate child rather than kill it.

But then again I'm against forcing illegitimate fathers to raise/support a child they don't want to raise under any circumstances- but we don't need to go on about that again. I guess that paints me as biased since any program that might convince an awful couple who would fuck up their child to let someone more capable raise it is a step in the right direction.

Greenlit
posted 03-19-2007 09:05:44 PM
I find the idea hilarious, but have no real opinion on it, because it's something that would never ever cut it in the US.

In my mind it's not a hole in a wall. It's a big blue mailbox.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 03-19-2007 09:07:24 PM
Japanese people are weird.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 03-19-2007 09:09:58 PM
quote:
We all got dumber when Greenlit said:
I find the idea hilarious, but have no real opinion on it, because it's something that would never ever cut it in the US.

In my mind it's not a hole in a wall. It's a big blue mailbox.

We already have it setup in many states so that if a baby is left alone in a hospital lobby (alive and well) no questions will be asked.

This just takes away the possibility that the girl will be seen, which may make it a more attractive option to someone who is ashamed of their situation.

Maradon!
posted 03-19-2007 09:39:48 PM
I, too, find this hilarious, along with the phrase "baby hatch" itself.

However, I think it's a pretty swell idea.

The only downside that I can see... is if it becomes a trend, and hospitals become swarmed with babies while consequence-free teenagers continue popping out new ones.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 03-19-2007 at 09:40 PM.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 03-19-2007 10:24:43 PM
Yeah, but that problem's easy to solve Maradon. Just have someone attach a tube to the baby hatch that leads to an incinerator.

Or maybe a juicer. I'm in the mood for some Soylent Green...

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 03-19-2007 10:24:58 PM
Nevada already has the Safe Haven law. You can leave your month old or younger baby at any hospital, fire station, or police department. Doctors or Paramedics will do a very quick exam(only takes minutes) to make sure that the child hasn't been abused. At which point you're free to go with no questions asked without giving any sort of identification. You can even dial 911 and have Nevada REMSA come pick up the baby from where ever you want.

I'm pretty sure there's a few states with similar laws. I think Montana has it too.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-19-2007 11:13:59 PM
I think churches also take in/find shelter for unwanted babies, too.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 03-19-2007 11:42:24 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
I think churches also take in/find shelter for unwanted babies, too.

Some do, though it is not mandated by law.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: