EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Spyware - Virus Question
OrangeBrand
By a Truck
posted 03-18-2007 04:50:44 PM
I am looking for an online tool or program that can help me get rid of spyware and or virus(s).

My family likes to come to my house and use my PC like a public library and i get all kinds of crap on it.

Anyone know any good free sites? I don't have the time to reformat like I usually do.

Thanks in advance.

SPELLCHECK is a four letter word.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-18-2007 05:15:38 PM
Ad Aware and Spybot are both free and reasonably good at ferreting out spyware. You'll need both to catch everything.

As for virus protection, if you're so hard-up you can't afford anything that costs money, download a free trial (Kaspersky is supposed to have the cleanest uninstall) and scan your system.

Really, though, coming back after the fact is sort of silly; you need prevention. So go without your next video game purchase in favor of good malware protection.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

OrangeBrand
By a Truck
posted 03-18-2007 05:24:59 PM
Thanks for the info.

It has nothing to do with money, I just hadn't gone on the internet that much to have anything but the default ones installed on the computer. Most of the time I reformat my CPU every other month or so to remove all the stuff I get from games I do play.

Since my sister and my niece moved like a mile from my I have gotten alot more crap from the internet then usual. Most of the time I am not even aware they are on my cpu since my wife lets them us it when I am at work.

Looks like it is time for a password or something.

Thanks again.

SPELLCHECK is a four letter word.
Willias
Pancake
posted 03-18-2007 05:59:22 PM
For an anti-virus, I personally use Avast!. It's free, updates itself, and from what I can tell, does a pretty good job of keeping shit off of my system.

A download link and review can be found here on CNet.

Edit: Forgot an e in here. Huh.

Willias fucked around with this message on 03-18-2007 at 05:59 PM.

Doomjudge
Pancake
posted 03-18-2007 06:27:58 PM
Mal-Ware Protector?...
Virus Scanner?...
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 03-18-2007 10:26:12 PM
quote:
Willias had this to say about Duck Tales:
For an anti-virus, I personally use Avast!. It's free, updates itself, and from what I can tell, does a pretty good job of keeping shit off of my system.

I second this

Demos
Pancake
posted 03-19-2007 12:22:20 AM
Yeah, avast! requires you to re-register (free) every 12 months, but its proven adequate thusfar.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 03-19-2007 08:50:49 AM
quote:
Demos stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Yeah, avast! requires you to re-register (free) every 12 months, but its proven adequate thusfar.

How does Avast! compare to AVG?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-19-2007 02:13:42 PM
quote:
Khyron had this to say about pies:
How does Avast! compare to AVG?

They're both competent as far as free solutions go. Avast! has a silly looking interface and that's the only major difference I've heard from anyone

Dave
)_(
posted 03-19-2007 10:20:05 PM
I use , an online java based scanner.House Call
Greenlit
posted 03-19-2007 10:27:27 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Dave stammered:
I use , an online java based scanner.House Call

it's like the link is trying to escape

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: