EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Hay
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 03-13-2007 07:56:42 PM
I'm thinking about taking an online class next semester.

Wtf is that like? Does the professor e-mail you everyday or something? Do you take the tests online too?

Greenlit
posted 03-13-2007 08:01:32 PM
Email and newsgroups, usually. You'll get bogged down in group projects - no matter the course - by people who don't know their keyboard from a hot pocket and are taking the course because they're too inept or lazy to enroll in a classroom.

It's a great idea, but good luck finding one that works.

nem-x
posted 03-13-2007 08:22:41 PM
Required discussion board postings GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHGRHHHHHHHHHH

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-13-2007 08:52:29 PM
Typically, universities have their own board/email/assignment turn-in system.

You'll likely be asked to buy a book or books, read them, do assignments based off of said book or books (such as essays, etc.) and occasionally do some weird out-there assignments. I had to cobble together a ruins diagram using MSPaint for an online archaeology class, in fact.

Beware, though, it's a lot of work in very little time. You'll typically be asked to read 200+ page books in the span of a day.

Talonus
Loner
posted 03-13-2007 09:36:50 PM
Universities do their own thing. Some may still force you to come in and take finals in class. Other than that, usually tests/projects are done online. WebCT, which Nem has in his screenshot, is very common software for doing this.

Be prepared to do more work though. Heavy reading assignments are the norm and many will give more work to offset the fact that you're not in class. If you're already living on campus or you live close by, it is often easier to just go in person.

quote:
nem-x had this to say about Duck Tales:
Required discussion board postings GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHGRHHHHHHHHHH

And on WebCT no less. I hated that fucking POS software.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 03-13-2007 09:52:44 PM
It looks like you are still using WebCT4, my school transitioned to WebCT6 and it actually manages to be worse. It's amazing the terrible software that exists in the world.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-13-2007 10:09:01 PM
Required discussion board postings suck.

And yeah, there's often more reading to do, though theyre may or may not be more assignments -- it is dependent on the professor. Most of the assignments will, however, be in essay form. I'm taking two online classes this semester and we have 2 3-5 page essays in one along with fun required discussion board postings. The other has four 3-5 page essays for it. I never got it as bad as Parcelan, though -- never had to read anything near a 200 page book. Course, my online classes have been full 16-week deals. We get the normal 50-100ish pages a week of reading + assignments.

The classes suck if you're the type that leans more from writing what you go over in class since, well, there's no lecture in the traditional sense.

But yeah, the worst part is the discussion board postings, more ofthen than not. I lucked out this semester -- most of the time, you're required to reply to shit like "Yeah, I agree". Seriously. That's IT.

Online courses are much more the type of course where you get out what you put into it. In-person classes are like that, but only to a lesser degree.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 03-13-2007 at 10:12 PM.

Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 03-13-2007 10:24:00 PM
I've taken a fair share of online courses, and I have yet to have a group project in them, thank god.

So far I've had one class where there were required discussion postings (which I didn't mind as there were a few intelligent people in that course) and the rest have been emails to the professors/quizzes.

The biggest thing with online courses is to stay motivated and keep on top of your work. Since there's generally no required times for courses apart from due dates it's very easy to procrastinate until the final day.

Tegadil fucked around with this message on 03-13-2007 at 10:26 PM.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 03-14-2007 06:32:46 PM
It depends on the course. My distributed education programming class has taped lectures that we watch through streaming video, and we read the chapters associated. Then we're expected to do regular homework on those chapters and programs (like my blackjack one I posted for help on recently) and we turn them in through drop boxes in our school's central course program, Oncourse. We can log on there, get e-mail, read discussion boards, get homework, and they can collect our work from the drop boxes that are set up that we upload to.

My literary masterpieces course has reading, 2 750+ word essays, self-assessment tests that are open note/open book, regular discussion board postings of 250 words minimum and a midterm and final that are open note/open book, but our midterm was mostly essays or short answer asking us to describe the relationship of these characters or to reveal the context of this quote, etc. We also have PowerPoint lectures that are pre-done to tie up everything that we're assigned to read.

Everyone's right in that you will get a *lot* to read because it's an online course. My online courses have seemed to go in bigger chunks, but the flip side is the teacher realizes a lot of folks doing online (at least at my school) probably work full time and can't make the usual class hours. So they're lenient in giving extensions if you just explain why, or not so nazi with due dates as they would be if you were actually in the class.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: