EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What religion are you?
Gadani
U
posted 03-07-2007 11:34:39 PM
  • What religion are you?
  • What denomination are you?
  • Do you practice your religion or is it just a tag?
  • Mr. Gainsborough
    posted 03-07-2007 11:36:48 PM
    Welp, I was brought up Methodist Christian and I never really gave it much thought. (Didn't really go to church past age 12 or so.)

I don't really care too much, so I guess I'm agnostic or something.

BeauChan
    Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
    posted 03-07-2007 11:41:58 PM
    Protestant, technically... because it's the family religion, and in my family religion is kind of important.

At heart, I'm more Spiritual than anything.

I got to church once in a blue moon (think midnight mass on christmas) because it makes me feel better.

BeauChan fucked around with this message on 03-07-2007 at 11:42 PM.

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
    Maradon!
    posted 03-07-2007 11:48:57 PM
    Atheist, practicing
    Damnati
    Filthy
    posted 03-07-2007 11:58:08 PM
    Used to be rabidly Baptist but, after spending a semester living in the dorms at a bible college attached to the church I went to, I learned things about the church and the religion that I want nothing to do with it anymore. By all accounts from just about every religion, it's how you live this life and the kind of person you are that makes a difference in the end. I've plenty to worry about in this life without worrying about the hereafter or what divine entity might be watching. I guess that falls under agnostic.
    Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Gadani
    U
    posted 03-08-2007 12:03:54 AM
    quote:
    Damnati thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
    Used to be rabidly Baptist but, after spending a semester living in the dorms at a bible college attached to the church I went to, I learned things about the church and the religion that I want nothing to do with it anymore. By all accounts from just about every religion, it's how you live this life and the kind of person you are that makes a difference in the end. I've plenty to worry about in this life without worrying about the hereafter or what divine entity might be watching. I guess that falls under agnostic.

I was raised southern baptist and, according to all the churches I've gone to (not just southern baptist), whether or not you get into heaven and what you do in this life has absolutely nothing to do with your earthly deeds and what kind of person you are.

Trent
    Smurfberry Moneyshot
    posted 03-08-2007 12:23:18 AM
    never baptized, never went to church.

so, i suppose, i have no religion.

and i continue to practice.

Hostile Makeover
    Evil as chocolate covered thistles
    posted 03-08-2007 12:26:31 AM
    I was baptized Catholic as a tiny mini-Xyrra, and I approve of the whole thing, in theory. Beautiful ritual, rich in arts and history... but then after looking at it a bit, it's just like every other religion. With twice the guilt. I was only forced into my First Communion around 12, as my paternal grandmother was just about shitting kittens that I was going to die and go to Hell, or somesuch. In other words, the family is big on that "lapsed" thing.

Now? I generally follow the whole do as thou will, harm none philosophy, and leave it at that.

Dr. Gee
    Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
    posted 03-08-2007 12:26:45 AM
    quote:
    Maradon! obviously shouldn't have said:
    Atheist, practicing

More specifically I'm a devotee of the Scientific Method.

Dr. Gee fucked around with this message on 03-08-2007 at 12:28 AM.

CBTao
    Pancake
    posted 03-08-2007 12:32:03 AM
    Agnostic-Apathetic
    Maradon!
    posted 03-08-2007 12:33:03 AM
    quote:
    x--Dr. GeeO-('-'Q) :
    More specifically I'm a devotee of the Scientific Method.

that's pretty much the de-facto for a naturalist (as opposed to supernaturalists)

Dr. Gee
    Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
    posted 03-08-2007 12:35:50 AM
    Ya, but it was worth saying. I've gotten a lot of, "Well if you don't believe in God, what DO you believe in?" recently.
    Mr. Parcelan
    posted 03-08-2007 12:37:23 AM
    I'm a Roman Catholic and have been since the day I was born.
    Gadani
    U
    posted 03-08-2007 12:47:26 AM
    quote:
    Dr. Gee had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
    Ya, but it was worth saying. I've gotten a lot of, "Well if you don't believe in God, what DO you believe in?" recently.

That's pretty stupid.

Is it so unfathomable that someone might be a nihilist?

Blindy.
    Suicide (Also: Gay.)
    posted 03-08-2007 12:57:17 AM
    quote:
    Gadani isn't in Kansas anymore:
  • What religion are you?
  • What denomination are you?
  • Do you practice your religion or is it just a tag?

• Christian
    Catholic
    Practice? No. Still have faith? Yeah. But I think God cares a lot more about how I act day to day than where I spend my Sundays.

Maradon!
    posted 03-08-2007 12:58:20 AM
    quote:
    Peanut butter ass Shaq Gadani booooze lime pole over bench lick:
    That's pretty stupid.

Is it so unfathomable that someone might be a nihilist?

atheism is not nihilism.

Mr. Parcelan
    posted 03-08-2007 01:00:59 AM
    quote:
    Everyone wondered WTF when Blindy. wrote:
    Christian
    Catholic
    Practice? No. Still have faith? Yeah. But I think God cares a lot more about how I act day to day than where I spend my Sundays.

Sup

Skaw
    posted 03-08-2007 01:03:42 AM
    Religious Skepticism.
    Greenlit
    posted 03-08-2007 01:13:51 AM
    I've been to church.. twice. Read the Bible a few times.

I'd like to believe, but I just can't get behind it.

Damnati
    Filthy
    posted 03-08-2007 01:24:02 AM
    quote:
    And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Gadani was all like:
    I was raised southern baptist and, according to all the churches I've gone to (not just southern baptist), whether or not you get into heaven and what you do in this life has absolutely nothing to do with your earthly deeds and what kind of person you are.

"Faith without works is dead faith," is how it tends to go. This seems to be the dichotomy; churches preach salvation by grace but they have this difficulty explaining why it's necessary to be a good person beyond "it's the right thing to do." I asked at one point "So it really doesn't matter what you do so long as you have faith in Christ? You'll be saved?" The answers were unilaterally in the negative, that good behavior was required for salvation.

With the amount of politics that have gone into the various translations of the Bible and the amounts of politics in the Church (not necessarily State or Federally related), I can't have any faith in what they teach. Science offers no proof to the non-existence of God so I can't justify to myself being atheist. Call me indecisive, but I prefer to just not worry about the divine and the afterlife. I'd rather just be a decent person and let things be what they will be.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Akiraiu Zenko
    Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
    posted 03-08-2007 01:26:34 AM
    Kemetic Orthodox, but I'm awful at doing my rituals. I don't even have a shrine.
    The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
    Willias
    Pancake
    posted 03-08-2007 01:59:45 AM
    I'm definitely Agnostic, but I couldn't tell you what specific kind of agnostic I am.
    nem-x
    posted 03-08-2007 02:03:27 AM
    Aaron (the good one)
    posted 03-08-2007 02:25:33 AM
    quote:
    That damn dirty CBTao rudely interrupted me to say;
    Agnostic-Apathetic
    Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
    I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
    Norim Stumpfighter
    Milkmaid
    posted 03-08-2007 02:32:03 AM
    Christian

Baptist, I suppose... that's the affiliation my church is associated with. Raised Nazarene.

I try to live my life in the right, show my son the correct way to live and treat others. To love instead of hate. It's a day to day process. I go to church when my horrible job allows me to have a weekend off. I just was able to go to church this past weekend for the first time in over a year. I really dislike my job. If someone asks me about my faith, I have no problem telling them what and why. But, I will never be one of those horrible people who force their religion on others because they believe theirs is the correct one. I pretty much believe that everyone who worships a god worships the same god, just in different ways (if that makes sense).

uh, yah... ramble

Kegwen
    Sonyfag
    posted 03-08-2007 02:33:28 AM
    I'm agnostic. I want to believe in some higher power, but like Sean I really just can't get behind it in any meaningful way.
    Trillee
    I <3 My Deviant
    posted 03-08-2007 03:46:16 AM
    Shamanistic

Took a bit to find what I felt was right.

And am now currently in college taking massage therapy to help with the healing side of things. And not a weirdy college. One that also teaches things like Med As., Surg Tech, Pharm. As., Codeing and Billing and the like. It's medical oriented.

The rest.. will come when I'm out and have a practice and can afford deeper training.

Bloodsage
    Heart Attack
    posted 03-08-2007 03:59:27 AM
    quote:
    Verily, the chocolate bunny rabbits doth run and play while Dr. Gee gently hums:

Ack! What a response! It's that kind of thing that feeds the creationists and the Watchmakers ID crowd.

The scientific method is not a religion and is not subject to belief. Science is not subject to belief, nor is physics. By saying one believes in that instead of religion, one falls into the trap of equating them and acknowledges that it's simply a matter of preference or choice which one someone chooses to believe in.

Science and religion have nothing to do with each other, and it's a false dichotomy to oppose them.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
    Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Pvednes
    Lynched
    posted 03-08-2007 04:26:09 AM
    None.

I don't need one, my worldview works far better without it.

Tarquinn
    Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
    posted 03-08-2007 04:36:03 AM
    I am baptized as a protestant, but I am agnostic. Not because I want to believe, but cannot, but because I cannot prove that no god exists and I have to admit that there is a tiny, weeny chance that all the religious people are right. It's highly unlikely, but before I can eliminate that chance, I am agnostic.
    ~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
    Blackened
    posted 03-08-2007 04:44:31 AM
    Religion is a crutch.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
    what I'm about to do isn't personal.
    Bloodsage
    Heart Attack
    posted 03-08-2007 04:58:32 AM
    quote:
    Verily, the chocolate bunny rabbits doth run and play while Tarquinn gently hums:
    I am baptized as a protestant, but I am agnostic. Not because I want to believe, but cannot, but because I cannot prove that no god exists and I have to admit that there is a tiny, weeny chance that all the religious people are right. It's highly unlikely, but before I can eliminate that chance, I am agnostic.

Asimov famously regretted taking that stance.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
    Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Tarquinn
    Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
    posted 03-08-2007 05:02:02 AM
    Yeah, I have discovered that I have a problem dealing in absolutes.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 03-08-2007 at 05:02 AM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
    Alidane
    Urinary Tract Infection
    posted 03-08-2007 05:08:14 AM
    I honestly haven't thought about it enough to say.

Got a great case of Catholic guilt from my upbringing though. Nothing like feeling the need to apologize for your very existence!

Karnaj
    Road Warrior Queef
    posted 03-08-2007 06:21:13 AM
    I forget. I wrote it down somewhere, or something.
    That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Ares
    posted 03-08-2007 06:41:45 AM
    Christian
    United
    No, I consider myself more of a spiritual person, rather than a religous one. I never really went to chruch, we stopped going when I was really young cause our particular chruch kept asking for more and more money.
    Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
    I posted in a title changing thread.
    posted 03-08-2007 07:11:35 AM
    I was baptised, but the story goes that when my father was a kid, his parents (it being the 50's) pushed religion hard. It was, simply put, the thing to do. After going to church for most of his childhood, that was I gather one of the first things to go when Dad got out on his own. The joke was that when Dad went into the military they asked him what religion to put on his dogtags and he got irrate so they put Protestant because he protested everything about religion.

And he stayed pretty true to that when we came along. I was baptised, but I've been to church for worship purposes like...twice...in my whole life. Most of my religious theory came from my father. If you have something you believe in, no matter how esoteric, that's fine. It can be great. Just don't force it on anyone else.

So I personally prefer elements of Taoist and Buddhist philosophies, and generally leave the mystic elements out.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
    "All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
    *Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Gadani
    U
    posted 03-08-2007 08:02:19 AM
    quote:
    So quoth Maradon!:
    atheism is not nihilism.

I know that, I'm not completely retarded.

Jajahotep
    Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
    posted 03-08-2007 08:07:37 AM
    Baptised, but our family wasn't big on religion. Then when I was going to marry my ex-husband, I had to be a member of the Lutheran church to be married there. So I went through all that bull for nothing. I stopped going because it became more about money (they wanted you to give minimum 10% of your yearly income to the church to secure your spot in Heaven -- wtf) and way too political.

I believe in a higher power and all, I just don't like a lot of the views on religion that are going around right now. Especially down here. About every week someone approaches me while out shopping about joining their church.

I think I'll worship at the temple of Trent

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 03-08-2007 08:22:47 AM
    quote:
    Mr. Parcelan said:
    I'm a Roman Catholic and have been since the day I was born.
    All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: