EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Does anyone know anything about MacBook Pros?
Gadani
U
posted 03-05-2007 02:41:23 PM
I'm looking at buying one maybe for college and music/video editing and stuff.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 03-05-2007 04:21:18 PM
I know...

That they are computers.

That they are sold by apple.

That they are 10-20% more expensive than a dell with similar specs.

That they run os-x, which, if you were to take sex and make it into an operating system, you would end up with.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 03-05-2007 04:59:28 PM
A similarly equipped Macbook Pro and Dell Inspiron are less than 200 Dollars difference. With that the Apple has a 2.16 Core 2 Duo compared to the Dells 1.8 and the Dell has 2 GIg of Ram compared to the 1 Gig on the Apple. Of course Ram is easier and cheaper to upgrade than a Processor.

Of course with the apple you can Run both OSes which may or may not be a benefit to you and I believe the Macbook has a better Video card than is offered on the Dell but I am not 100% sure. It has a ATI Mobility Radeon X1600. Finally there is the Education Discount which brings the Macbook down to 1799.

Both are good machines. I think it comes down to personal preference.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Maradon!
posted 03-05-2007 06:15:03 PM
quote:
Blindy.ing:
That they run os-x, which, if you were to take sex and make it into an operating system, you would end up with.

Sex is given a false image of superiority by it's obscurity?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-05-2007 06:19:52 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Duck Tales:
Sex is given a false image of superiority by it's obscurity?

go away nobody wants your opinion

Greenlit
posted 03-05-2007 07:27:01 PM
quote:
Kegwen wrote this stupid crap:
go away nobody wants your opinion

It was a good burn.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-05-2007 07:28:32 PM
quote:
Greenlit was naked while typing this:
It was a good burn.

yeah man those macs

i'll show them

my operating system is pretty much better than yours

fuck you all install linux problem solved

edit: I'm used to posts like his earning a probation so I thought I'd answer in kind :shobon:

edit #2: I also like how Maradon used "security by obscurity" as if Windows has an open source security model unless he was talking about lower market share or something, but I'm not well versed enough in computer security to argue that point on my own. From what I understand, though, that argument is complete bullshit and is founded in a complete misunderstanding of unix's security model

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 03-05-2007 at 07:37 PM.

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 03-05-2007 07:35:44 PM
I have one and it is fantastic. OSX is a great OS, and the ability to boot to XP to play games (which it can handle even at 1680x1050) is quite handy.

The way the mouse handles itself is really cool too. You can use two fingers to scroll, or click with two to right-click. It's a little more expensive than an e1505, which you cannot equip comparably, and the C2D models seem to fix some of the issues I have with mine.

I do not like the case. Although it's attractive the silver gets dirty easily and if you sweat at all you will quickly notice it on the rests. Honestly, if you don't need the graphics card, the Macbook is a better choice. I would buy it refurbished or from a reseller, to save a good bit of money. The second gig of ram is well worth it.

You will also notice the much higher build quality and design quality. The MBP is thinner and sturdier, while the e1505 is bulkier and flimsier.

The MBP is a high-end laptop. You have to decide for yourself whether its qualities are worth the extra money to you. Honestly, I wish I had gotten a desktop instead, but I'm glad I got this laptop over the e1505.

CBTao
Pancake
posted 03-05-2007 07:52:58 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Kegwen:
I also like how Maradon used "security by obscurity" as if Windows has an open source security model unless he was talking about lower market share or something, but I'm not well versed enough in computer security to argue that point on my own. From what I understand, though, that argument is complete bullshit and is founded in a complete misunderstanding of unix's security model

No, its entirely based on market share, its the same boast firefox holds.

They claim security because its pointless to write viruses for so few people to affect.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-05-2007 08:18:46 PM
quote:
CBTao had this to say about (_|_):
No, its entirely based on market share, its the same boast firefox holds.

They claim security because its pointless to write viruses for so few people to affect.

goddammit are you people serious

Do you realize that a fully self-replicating virus/worm for OSX/unix would make the virus writer a golden god? People write these things for bragging rights, dude. Even if you only affected 20 people, goddammit you were still the one guy who did what is supposedly impossible

Besides, nobody brought up the security issue. It wasn't something Gadani was even asking or considering in the equation. He's an intelligent Windows user and doesn't have to worry about it regardless

Also I wouldn't exactly say Firefox is only secure because so few people use it, but you know whatever that's cool you're the expert! I don't claim to be one, but the oft-repeated "lol market share" argument just doesn't seem to make any goddamn sense whatsoever

edit: For the record, I like Windows and enjoy Vista, but some of the anti-Mac trolls are absurd

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 03-05-2007 at 08:25 PM.

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 03-05-2007 09:08:49 PM
quote:
Kegwen was naked while typing this:
goddammit are you people serious

Do you realize that a fully self-replicating virus/worm for OSX/unix would make the virus writer a golden god? People write these things for bragging rights, dude. Even if you only affected 20 people, goddammit you were still the one guy who did what is supposedly impossible

It's been done, at least twice that I'm aware of. (Worms at least) That gained some nortoriety. But aside from being claimed, they were shown to affect such a low number of computers compared to Windows based viruses (Not due to low market share, just due to Mac users in general and how they interact with thier machines so they didn't spread very far or for very long.) that people just really didn't care.

It CAN be done, it is just less desirable to do so, and people just don't care. Even the virus writers don't care. That may change as popularity shifts but that won't happen any time soon.

That being said, I have nothing against Macs anymore (I did used to hate them when I had to use em in school, and do tech support for them... GOD I hated doing tech on a Mac.) But that was several years ago. Now I just use Windows machine because I like doing more than Macs lack of marketshare allows, and will continue to do so for that reason.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Maradon!
posted 03-05-2007 09:51:19 PM
quote:
x--KegwenO-('-'Q) :
Do you realize that a fully self-replicating virus/worm for OSX/unix would make the virus writer a golden god? People write these things for bragging rights, dude.

No they don't. If they're successful nobody will ever even find out they did anything at all. You can actually do time for that shit. People who write viruses do so for personal amusement and/or malevolence.

For what it's worth, it's also relatively easy to install OS X Tiger on any x86 with sse2 (sse3 for rosetta), so basically a mac is a pc is a mac, one is just trendier and more expensive.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-05-2007 10:26:29 PM
Notice: this post is poorly organized

Well, alright. The ones that brag are the ones that get caught. I guess a smug sense of superiority and "ha ha I fought the man and as a result I inconvenienced IT workers for a few days! TAKE THAT!" is what they're going for if they never want to get caught

I'm not saying it's immune to malware. Only the biggest neckbeard toting Mac bloggers would make such a bold claim with any seriousness. It's true that if there were legions of jerks who devoting their time to finding bugs it might not be as pretty, but for both Windows Vista and OS X it is now much, much harder for that malware to take hold without the user's intervention (password entering, pressing yes, etc)

I'm no security expert so I can't comment on the intricacies of the unix security model vs the Windows XP/Vista security model, but both will allow you to install anything if you press yes enough or supply your password when asked. Intelligent computer use is key no matter what OS you use!

Contrary to popular belief, there are reasons to use OS X over Windows and vice versa that don't involve security or video games! They do things differently, and different people like different approaches. People do get fanatical about it, but they're pretty lame

I dunno though, even if you made a proof of concept "hey Apple you guys are cool and all but I could write a virus this way so you might want to close that hole, brah" you'd still be pretty famous. Not to mention a few of the nuttier Mac bloggers would have to own up to their bets and buy you some shit that they promised

For what it's worth, I don't attack the security of Windows nor do I tout the relative security of OS X. I didn't in this thread until Maradon attacked it out of nowhere! I also don't try to sell people on Macs. I tend to recommend Dell to most people due to their fantastic warranty service (threw it down a flight of stairs? No problem! Thanks, Complete Care!)

conclusion: use what you like for whatever reason you like and ignore the obnoxious whiny zealots from both sides

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 03-05-2007 10:33:12 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about the Spice Girls:
conclusion: use what you like for whatever reason you like and ignore the obnoxious whiny zealots from both sides

Maradon!
posted 03-05-2007 10:36:20 PM
quote:
x--KegwenO-('-'Q) :
I didn't in this thread until Maradon attacked it out of nowhere!

Well, I made an anti-mac joke. Your hyper-defensiveness on the subject turned it into an attack.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-05-2007 10:36:34 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough was listening to Cher while typing:

I don't know how a single word I wrote qualifies me as a zealot, but whatever

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-05-2007 10:37:17 PM
I'm 24 years old and I can barely even grow a neckbeard.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-05-2007 10:37:32 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Robocop:
Well, I made an anti-mac joke. Your hyper-defensiveness on the subject turned it into an attack.

10:33:01 PM shadeofperdition: hurr dont get a mac because they're just as easy to write viruses for but nobody does it.
10:33:05 PM shadeofperdition: Fucking tards

Jokes need more :v: and less serious arguing on the internet tones

edit: To be fair, if I had made a "hurr windows is insecure buy mak problem solved" comment you would have jumped on me pretty quickly. You'd be justified in it, too, because I'd be making an inaccurate claim

quote:
CBTao said this about your mom:
Outside of that, most claims of superiority for an OS over another are pointless, I chimed in because I'm sick of the same argument, really from both sides, compare features if you want to argue, but don't use the same tired shit if you want to be taken seriously, claims that a mac is more secure just labels you as a fanboy.

I've just heard people take offense to the whole "Windows is just as secure as any other OS!" approach because it dismisses outright the whole approach to security that unix prides itself on. OS X probably has more variables in security due to its user-friendly featureset compared to that of BSD/unix/Linux server setups, though, so I'll concede that even though OS X is based on Unix it's most likely far less secure

FUTURE QUOTING

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 03-05-2007 at 10:44 PM.

CBTao
Pancake
posted 03-05-2007 10:38:46 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Kegwen wrote:
Notice: this post is poorly organized

Well, alright. The ones that brag are the ones that get caught. I guess a smug sense of superiority and "ha ha I fought the man and as a result I inconvenienced IT workers for a few days! TAKE THAT!" is what they're going for if they never want to get caught

I'm not saying it's immune to malware. Only the biggest neckbeard toting Mac bloggers would make such a bold claim with any seriousness. It's true that if there were legions of jerks who devoting their time to finding bugs it might not be as pretty, but for both Windows Vista and OS X it is now much, much harder for that malware to take hold without the user's intervention (password entering, pressing yes, etc)

I'm no security expert so I can't comment on the intricacies of the unix security model vs the Windows XP/Vista security model, but both will allow you to install anything if you press yes enough or supply your password when asked. Intelligent computer use is key no matter what OS you use!

Contrary to popular belief, there are reasons to use OS X over Windows and vice versa that don't involve security or video games! They do things differently, and different people like different approaches. People do get fanatical about it, but they're pretty lame

I dunno though, even if you made a proof of concept "hey Apple you guys are cool and all but I could write a virus this way so you might want to close that hole, brah" you'd still be pretty famous. Not to mention a few of the nuttier Mac bloggers would have to own up to their bets and buy you some shit that they promised

For what it's worth, I don't attack the security of Windows nor do I tout the relative security of OS X. I didn't in this thread until Maradon attacked it out of nowhere! I also don't try to sell people on Macs. I tend to recommend Dell to most people due to their fantastic warranty service (threw it down a flight of stairs? No problem! Thanks, Complete Care!)

I hate to say it, but you're the one acting a bit fanatical, the only thing maradon really sniped mac about (although his phrasing as far as which argument he was sniping was poor) is their empty argument of claiming superior security.

Outside of that, most claims of superiority for an OS over another are pointless, I chimed in because I'm sick of the same argument, really from both sides, compare features if you want to argue, but don't use the same tired shit if you want to be taken seriously, claims that a mac is more secure just labels you as a fanboy.

Maradon!
posted 03-05-2007 10:44:18 PM
A mac and a PC are dangling off a precipice by a thin vine. If you save both, the vine will die and it's the last of it's species and it can cure cancer.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 03-05-2007 at 10:44 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-05-2007 10:45:41 PM
quote:
Maradon! was naked while typing this:
A mac and a PC are dangling off a precipice by a thin vine. If you save both, the vine will die and it's the last of it's species and it can cure cancer.

I don't know what you're talking about. Vista kills puppies. Buy Mac, kill Microsoft, cure cancer, problem solved

Ares
posted 03-05-2007 11:41:12 PM
My BF has a MacBook Pro.

It's cute.. That's all I know about it.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-05-2007 11:56:19 PM
quote:
Ares had this to say about Optimus Prime:
My BF has a MacBook Pro.

It's cute.. That's all I know about it.

So...MacBooks are potentially chick magnets? Is that what you're trying to say?

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 03-06-2007 12:10:52 AM
I own a 15in MacBook Pro and I love it, not really because it is a Mac but because it is well designed, runs well, and does what I need it to do where I need to do it.

The form factor and design are for the most part top notch. A lot of the little annoying things about laptops have been addressed, slot drives over caddy drives, USB slots on both sides of the computer, multiple video outputs, etc etc etc. There is very little I can fault in the physical design, you are going to be sorely pressed to find a laptop this light, thin, and powerful at that price.

It does have some flaws thought. It runs very hot, so hot that it can hardly be called a "lap"top, as it will burn you. Next the MagSafe power port is a PITA, it is too close to the speakers and there is a tendency to get speaker chatter when it is plugged in. This is compounded if you use an AirCard or cell phone as a modem, to the point that people start looking at you funny in airports. Windows support is minimal, XP runs ok but Vista is just as junky on a Mac as it is on a PC only there is far less driver support. I dual boot mine with XP, having abandoned the Vista experiement, and it runs ok. World of Warcraft runs better under the MacOS, if that is at all important to you.

Last I would like to mention Apples (lack of) forsight in putting in an Express Card slot in the MacBook Pros. Good luck finding anything for it, and expect increased chatter from the speakers when you plug in any card especially if the laptop is charging. If there is one thing that would prevent me from buying another MacBook Pro at this time it is that damn Express Card slot.

All that being said, if you want a lightweight, powerful, and very portable laptop that is amazingly well designed when compared to the competition you would be hard pressed to do better than a MacBook Pro.

"And God said: 'Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan." - George Burns
Maradon!
posted 03-06-2007 12:20:34 AM
I guess I'm the only person in the world able to use Vista without a single damn problem other than normal brand-new-OS stuff.
Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 03-06-2007 12:31:10 AM
quote:
Maradon! stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I guess I'm the only person in the world able to use Vista without a single damn problem other than normal brand-new-OS stuff.

If Nvidia would release drivers that support SLI and can get me more than 15fps in WOW I'd probably be happy. Maybe Creative getting working SB X-Fi Drivers that don't cause speaker chatter when more than one program is accessing the sound card. Would be nice if I didn't have 77% memory usage while the system is sitting idle for no apparent reason.

Vista is pretty, but both Microsoft and it's vendors were not ready to release it, not even close. There really is no excuse for it, vendors have had Vista in their hands for over a year, they should have been prepared and Microsoft should have ensured it before launching.

Tyewa Dawnsister fucked around with this message on 03-06-2007 at 12:34 AM.

"And God said: 'Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan." - George Burns
Maradon!
posted 03-06-2007 12:42:59 AM
quote:
Tyewa Dawnsistering:
If Nvidia would release drivers that support SLI and can get me more than 15fps in WOW I'd probably be happy. Maybe Creative getting working SB X-Fi Drivers that don't cause speaker chatter when more than one program is accessing the sound card. Would be nice if I didn't have 77% memory usage while the system is sitting idle for no apparent reason.

1) Hardly Microsoft's fault, nVidia has had vista drivers available since early RC1. I run WoW on vista absolutely fine. SLI support is late because it's supposed to be going universal, IE. the specific title won't need to be hard-coded into the driver.

2) Creative has always had shitty driver support but I guess I dodged the bullet on that one because my Audigy 4 runs perfectly.

3) "For No Apparent Reason" is superfetch, which automatically caches programs to RAM based on your usage patterns, time of day, and frequency of use. Superfetch automatically discards cache data when memory intensive apps (games) require it. Loading a cached program is almost as fast as tabbing to an already running program. Superfetch "learns", so in a brand new install it will be mostly empty, but it will strive to achieve 100% memory usage 100% of the time no matter how much memory you have (and that's a good thing).

Also Aero Glass is a bit of a hog, but memory hogging UI elements are hardly unique to Vista (I'm looking at you, Tiger)

quote:
Vista is pretty, but both Microsoft and it's vendors were not ready to release it, not even close.

This is pretty much completely untrue. Vista spent the better part of a decade in development, and so far the release has been an order of magnitude smoother than the XP release.

Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 03-06-2007 12:56:44 AM
I was going to try and say something witty, but figured it isn't really worth the trouble.

An ancient wise man said, about fifteen years ago, "Don't feed the trolls."

Please continue to suck from the teat of the golden cow, I encourage you to do this.

Maradon!
posted 03-06-2007 01:12:40 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Tyewa Dawnsister who doth quote:
Please continue to suck from the teat of the golden cow, I encourage you to do this.

lol micro$oft

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-06-2007 02:07:49 AM
Lower framerate with identical hardware compared to Windows XP is a widely reported Vista issue, presumably due to the fact that the entire driver model was completely redone and nVidia and ATI had to rewrite everything from the ground up from what I understand. This will be for the best in the long run, but in a situation like this you're bound to run into a few bumps in the road

In some games the framerate is identical or even higher, but there are cases where it's noticeably lacking. In Vista RC1 I had about a third of the framerate in WoW that I did in XP, but I'm sure the drivers have vastly improved since then. I'm still waiting on MSDNAA to deliver me my copy of Vista Business. Here's to hoping C&C3 runs as well or better!

I loves me some Vista, but as a new OS it does, of course, still does have some issues to hammer out.

edit: I'm edit happy tonight

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 03-06-2007 at 02:10 AM.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 03-06-2007 03:20:01 AM
Personal anecdote: my Macbook does everything I want very well. It shows its anemic graphics performance with an external monitor when I'm flipping around in VirtueDesktops, but that's not a huge deal. The Pro wasn't worth it to me, because I don't really play games anymore, and I didn't feel I needed the extra size.

The OS is nice; plenty of nice trimmings around a (slightly wonky but usable) BSD core. Some things that aggravate me are Finder being completely shitty (and still better than XP's explorer ), the lack of tabs in Terminal.app, and the lack of first-party multiple desktop support (coming, though). A lot of the iLife apps are a lot more useful than I'd first imagined, though. Xcode is dissappointing. Java still runs like shit. QuickSilver is the shit. Bonjour is neat for academics. GarageBand is a lot of fun to mess around in.

Parallels is the absolute way to go if you need Windows apps; it performs okay on my machine, with 1.25GB of RAM. More RAM = more awesome, as always. Boot camp is okay if you want to play HL2 or whatever.

Re: Tywena's post...I haven't experienced any of the chatter with the magsafe port, and honestly, I think it's one of the better features of the laptop. The Macbook's speakers suck ass, but that's pretty par for the course for laptops.

Alidane fucked around with this message on 03-06-2007 at 03:26 AM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: