EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Times when I'm OK with government intrusion.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 02-27-2007 10:11:35 AM
Exhibit A

Like, when a mother apparently feeds her child nothing but deep fried butter, and refuses to go to the doctor with him to get him healthy. 218 Pounds? At 8. Are you KIDDING ME?!?

Greenlit
posted 02-27-2007 10:14:28 AM
I just saw the thread in GBS too.
Blindy.
posted 02-27-2007 10:15:53 AM
quote:
When Greenlit says stuff like this, it proves there isn't a God:
I just saw the thread in GBS too.

Actually I spotted this on Digg.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-27-2007 10:48:33 AM
Hey, some people think the cucumbers taste better pickled. And deep-fried.

You know, you could always just put the food where the kid can't reach it. He's a fatass; it's not like he can climb on top of a counter or something.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 02-27-2007 11:35:28 AM
Doesn't look any different from kids I see on a daily basis here in America, imo.
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 02-27-2007 11:38:10 AM
Hes 8 dude.. at 218lbs
at 8 your skeleton is what? 20lbs max?
He has a bmi of like 65%+
When you have to skip school because you strain yourself to walk to the bus stop.. dude..
Maradon!
posted 02-27-2007 11:39:51 AM
So are we going to take the kids of parents who allow trans fats, too?

How dangerous is dangerous enough to justify federal seizure on the grounds of abuse?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-27-2007 11:43:31 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Robocop:
So are we going to take the kids of parents who allow trans fats, too?

How dangerous is dangerous enough to justify federal seizure on the grounds of abuse?

Weighing 3x the average weight of an 8 year old is a pretty good one I think

quote:
An unnamed health official was quoted as telling a newspaper that the family had repeatedly failed to attend appointments with nurses, nutritionists and social workers.

Come on, now.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 02-27-2007 11:47:29 AM
I'm referring to the picture I've seen kids that look just like that or worse here in the states.

I've seen a kid who couldn't have been older than 7 or 8 walking around with his parents and I swear he looked like he was wearing an over-inflated fat-suit. It was like his arms were plump sausages with little hands coming out the ends. It was really sad.

To that end, I'm glad to see the government taking an interest and doing something about it.

Maradon!
posted 02-27-2007 11:50:24 AM
I'm not saying I disagree with this kid's case, I'm saying that this case seriously blurs the line between simple bad parenting and abuse.

When does it STOP being OK to seize a parent's kids? If we can justify federal seizure of this kid based on his weight, how about a kid 50 lbs lighter than him? How about a kid 100 lbs lighter?

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 02-27-2007 11:53:16 AM
It looks like they've been trying to make them attend doctor and nurse appointments and they haven't shown up, as well as a threat "Get your child on a better diet or he'll be taken away." It doesn't look as if they're just going to up and snatch the kid away, Mara.
Blindy.
posted 02-27-2007 12:31:56 PM
quote:
When Maradon! says stuff like this, it proves there isn't a God:
I'm not saying I disagree with this kid's case, I'm saying that this case seriously blurs the line between simple bad parenting and abuse.

No, it doesn't. It's abuse, plain and simple. They are negligent to the point of endangering their child, and furthermore, they are making no effort to improve his situation.

quote:
When does it STOP being OK to seize a parent's kids? If we can justify federal seizure of this kid based on his weight, how about a kid 50 lbs lighter than him? How about a kid 100 lbs lighter?

When the parents are showing an effort to not kill their child, maybe?

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-27-2007 12:39:32 PM
But you're now likening a parent, who is admittedly poor, to someone that is willfully abusing their child. This is merely a case of incompetence not of malice. Why does the government have the right to say that you are unfit to raise a child when you are not doing any abjectly wrong?
Blindy.
posted 02-27-2007 12:41:29 PM
quote:
Naimah needs the precioussses:
But you're now likening a parent, who is admittedly poor, to someone that is willfully abusing their child. This is merely a case of incompetence not of malice. Why does the government have the right to say that you are unfit to raise a child when you are not doing any abjectly wrong?

Endangerment does not require intent. If you leave your baby in a hot car by accident, for example. Or letting him play with turpentine, bleach, and drain-o.

This mother has had ample opportunity to address the issue, and is either willfully or otherwise incapable of not killing her child.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 02-27-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-27-2007 12:46:11 PM
So anyone that lets their kid ride a bike without a helmet should have their kid taken away? Anyone that takes their kid out shooting should have their kid taken away?

Life is full of endangerment. When you start saying that endangerment is bad then it blues the line for the rights of the individual. I should have the right to raise my child as I see fit, as long as I behave in a well defined set of rules. When you start saying, well your kids fat because you don't feed him right you are blurring the line of what is right and wrong and impinging on the rights of the individual.

Some people are shitty parents, that doesn't meant that you and I have the right to decide that they can't be parents.

Blindy.
posted 02-27-2007 12:54:07 PM
quote:
Check out the big brains on Naimah:
So anyone that lets their kid ride a bike without a helmet should have their kid taken away? Anyone that takes their kid out shooting should have their kid taken away?

No. Accidents would be the cause of death, not willful neglect. You can ride a bike for years or shoot guns for years and never have a problem, but if you weigh 400 pounds at age 12, you are going to die.

quote:
Life is full of endangerment. When you start saying that endangerment is bad then it blues the line for the rights of the individual. I should have the right to raise my child as I see fit, as long as I behave in a well defined set of rules. When you start saying, well your kids fat because you don't feed him right you are blurring the line of what is right and wrong and impinging on the rights of the individual.

I don't think you understand the severity of the situation. The average weight for a 8 year old boy is between 58 and 65 pounds. This child weighs between 3 and 4 times how much he should. He is likely around 80% body fat. He is not simply fat. The child is in a dire situation.

Let's flip the situation. If his parents refused to feed him and he weighed 20 pounds, would you be OK with that? I mean, as long as they followed a "well defined set of rules"?

quote:
Some people are shitty parents, that doesn't meant that you and I have the right to decide that they can't be parents.

Shitty parents do not kill their kids, they just raise them wrong. This kid is going to die, and he's going to die 50 years sooner than he should. His parents are not just "shitty", they are harming him or allowing him to harm himself on a daily basis, in a way that is not by any stretch of the imagination trivial.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 02-27-2007 at 12:56 PM.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 02-27-2007 12:57:40 PM
Parents have the right to murder their children, and nothing can be done until the child is dead.
"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-27-2007 12:59:44 PM
I don't think you understand, I don't think it should be any of the governments business.

If I'm not beating my child or making it suck my dick the government should have no say. How an individual decides to raise their own should be a private matter. If the government wants to deny services unless she takes action in some fashion fine, don't have a problem with that, but the government coming in and stealing her child away because they deem her actions to endanger the child is crossing a line.

Blindy.
posted 02-27-2007 01:14:50 PM
This woman is killing this child. The fact that she's doing it by massively over feeding him does not make it any less harmful than if she was using small doses of heavy metal or pesticide. What she is doing to the child is, without a shred of a doubt, harmful and will lead to the early termination of his life, and she is not doing anything to prevent this.

Edit: Yes, this is different from any type of activity that simply increases this child's risk of developing cancer or getting in an accident.

This WILL kill the child.

That MIGHT kill the child.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 02-27-2007 at 01:22 PM.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-27-2007 05:31:41 PM
No, her actions are putting the child at an increased risk of a litany of ailments. Risk does not equate to killing.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 02-27-2007 06:14:16 PM
quote:
What is a Naimah? A miserable pile of secrets!
No, her actions are putting the child at an increased risk of a litany of ailments. Risk does not equate to killing.

Putting a child in reasonable risk of injury or death is endangerment.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-27-2007 06:28:57 PM
quote:
This one time, at Sakkra camp:
Putting a child in reasonable risk of injury or death is endangerment.

Then my previous examples hold. At most the government should be allowed to neglect that causes gross undue injury to a child.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-27-2007 08:01:42 PM
I'm torn on this. I believe this would constitute child neglect, being a basic failure to meet responsibilities for the safety and welfare of a child. The parents, if they're not doing this intentionally, have ignored the well-being of their child.

On the other hand, this is London and it seems like the latest drastic step in their approach to becoming a police state. I mislike the idea of a child being mistreated, but I mislike the idea of the British government starting to realize that they can take people away who don't fit their ideas as well.

If nothing else, I hope this will be good for the kid.

Blindy.
posted 02-27-2007 08:23:25 PM
It's not just "increased likelihood" of diseases. You get that fat, you have major health issues. It is a scientific fact.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 02-27-2007 at 08:25 PM.

BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 02-27-2007 09:41:04 PM
I have to agree with the government (somewhat) on this one.

Say the parent was visited by a social worker because, say, another parent or a teacher at his school was concerned by his weight and couldn't get through to the parent in meetings, etc.

The parent tells the social worker to screw off - this gets the social worker to create a report that gets submitted with his/her opinion of the life of this child. Say that the social worker is, too, concerned by the child's weight.

Someone in the higher-ups sees this report and contacts the parent to offer aid by sending them to a nutritionist or to a nurse.

The parent says screw off.

The higher-up then decides that this is a 'neglect' case - the child's weight is much more than it should be (endangering his health) and the parent refuses to take steps to correct it.

I don't necessarily agree with removing the child from the home, but maybe court-ordering him and his parents in to a healthy-lifestyle program might be a better solution - that way you teach the child and the parents.

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 02-27-2007 09:43:13 PM
quote:
Blindy. wrote this in the snow with their pee:
Let's flip the situation. If his parents refused to feed him and he weighed 20 pounds, would you be OK with that? I mean, as long as they followed a "well defined set of rules"?

and Blindy has a good point, Naimah. Would you still say the same about the parent if the child was severely underweight?

Sometimes, somewhere, there has to be intervention (in extreme cases)

BeauChan fucked around with this message on 02-27-2007 at 09:43 PM.

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 02-28-2007 12:07:26 AM
They've just recently been told they can keep the child provided they keep what/how much he eats within certain guidelines.
Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 02-28-2007 12:27:12 PM
quote:
"If I didn't give him enough at teatime then he would just go on at us all night for snacks and stuff,"

Apparently she doesn't know how to say "NO" to an eight year old kid.
I'm glad the government wants to get involved.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 02-28-2007 03:15:29 PM
quote:
Roll the dice to see if Naimah is getting drunk!
They said he's already missing significant amounts of time at school because of health issues. It has therefore been proven that the child is not just facing an "increased risk". He already has a "litany of ailments".
quote:
Connor, who lives with his mother and sister, has difficulty dressing and washing himself, misses school regularly because of poor health, and is targeted by bullies.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 02-28-2007 at 03:17 PM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-28-2007 04:18:01 PM
We should just have the government do everything for us since anyone doing something wrong is apparently an unforgivable sin.
Blindy.
posted 02-28-2007 04:59:48 PM
quote:
Naimah likes to say stupid stuff like:
We should just have the government do everything for us since anyone doing something wrong is apparently an unforgivable sin.

Yes. "Willfully causing massive life long health problems and an early death" is perfectly and completely captured in the words "doing something wrong."

You are a fucking poet.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-28-2007 05:02:04 PM
Well, when you can't address a specific case satisfactorily, just resort to glittering generalities!
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-28-2007 06:08:48 PM
I'll agree the this kid probably isn't going to live a healthy life. But that isn't the governments problem, at least in my opinion it shouldn't be.
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 02-28-2007 06:54:26 PM
On a slightly simular note.. Prince Charles wants to ban McDonalds.. The fast food change is not amused.

Well, if you can't tell your kid "No!" or give him an a fruit or veggie instead of a cookie or cake.. then the parent needs a few lessons on parenting.

Trillee fucked around with this message on 02-28-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 02-28-2007 10:25:30 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Naimah:
I'll agree the this kid probably isn't going to live a healthy life. But that isn't the governments problem, at least in my opinion it shouldn't be.

The problem here is that someone has to take responsibility for that child. In a perfect libertarian society the local community would rise up, shoot the parents, and find someone willing to take care of the kid. (un)Fortunately we do not live in that kind of world. Thus government on some level has to take responsibility since the parents refuse to, no one else has the authority to do so since reproductive rights are so sacred.

Unless you are of the opinion that the kid should just eat himself to death and society should not be bothered by abusive parents. That is a slippery slope I think even you would not want to travel down.

"And God said: 'Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan." - George Burns
Pancake
posted 03-03-2007 02:56:30 AM
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: