EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Tips for the A+ Cert test?
Alaan
posted 01-30-2007 08:37:05 PM
Time for some good ol' flying by the seat of my pants. I ran into my old Cisco/computer teacher and he said he had a job possibility for me. But I'll need an A+ certification for it. I'll hopefully be getting registered to take the exam within a week. Now, if this is anything like Cisco, its about half what do you know and half do you know how to take our tests.

So any hints on what areas A+ leans heavily towards? Any books you can suggest to get an idea what they're throwing at me? All help is appreciated!

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-30-2007 09:22:42 PM
A+ is easy as pie, I had to do it as a pre-requisite for MCP. Unlike the flooded job market over there, over here people literally throw money at employees with MCP/MCSA/MCSE, whee.

It's basic computer knowledge. Maintenance questions mostly since it's designed to be aquired by people wanting to be computer repair peeps. Lots of printer maintenance questions since those tend to break down/jam/go nuts in the workplace more than other things.

Alaan
posted 01-30-2007 09:28:22 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about pies:
A+ is easy as pie, I had to do it as a pre-requisite for MCP. Unlike the flooded job market over there, over here people literally throw money at employees with MCP/MCSA/MCSE, whee.

It's basic computer knowledge. Maintenance questions mostly since it's designed to be aquired by people wanting to be computer repair peeps. Lots of printer maintenance questions since those tend to break down/jam/go nuts in the workplace more than other things.

Yeah. As I read the objectives I'm not too worried. Just don't want to flub the job opportunity I stumbled on.

Maradon!
posted 01-30-2007 09:28:39 PM
Even the most current A+ leans heavily on old technology. Know your IRQ's and your Win9x bullshit.

And yes, knowing basic printer repair is a must as well. I suggest a book called A+ Fast Pass, as it starts off assuming a fairly developed knowledge base and fills in the lesser known gaps, and also comes with flash card software

I still need to take the test though

Alaan
posted 01-30-2007 09:31:54 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Maradon! wrote:
Even the most current A+ leans heavily on old technology. Know your IRQ's and your Win9x bullshit.

And yes, knowing basic printer repair is a must as well. I suggest a book called A+ Fast Pass, as it starts off assuming a fairly developed knowledge base and fills in the lesser known gaps, and also comes with flash card software

I still need to take the test though

It can't be as bad as this VICA test I took in high school. Bastards were asking about Pentium 1s, dot matrix printers, and other various ancient things. In all fairness, we have a dot matrix printer at work. Though bastard jams all the time.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 01-31-2007 09:25:36 AM
Here is my guaranteed to work step by step plan to passing the A+ Certification. This has been gleaned from many experiences with A+ certified techs during my 6 years of experience in the IT industry.

Step 1: Don't be physically retarded.

I hope you took notes!!!

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-31-2007 09:59:37 AM
quote:
Maradon! said:

Yeah, I had to laugh when those questions came up. They even asked about WinME.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 01-31-2007 11:01:59 AM
Was your response to ME 'get a new OS'?
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 01-31-2007 11:39:30 AM
Alaan
posted 01-31-2007 12:57:51 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Blindy.:
Here is my guaranteed to work step by step plan to passing the A+ Certification. This has been gleaned from many experiences with A+ certified techs during my 6 years of experience in the IT industry.

Step 1: Don't be physically retarded.

I hope you took notes!!!

I've been through some Cisco stuff. I know all about retards with certs.

Lady Delirium
Drysart loves me!
posted 01-31-2007 01:29:25 PM
like everyone said, its pretty easy, with a lot of questions about older stuff...

good luck though

yes, that is maradon spining around in a chair ^_ ____ _ ^
Maradon!
posted 01-31-2007 10:59:21 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Alaan booooze lime pole over bench lick:
I've been through some Cisco stuff. I know all about retards with certs.

Now, the Crisco certification, THAT one's a bitch, but you can use lard too.

Mike the Butcher
Pancake
posted 01-31-2007 11:43:07 PM
When I took the A+ Hardware cert last year I got an absurd amount of questions on Laser Printers.
Alaan
posted 02-07-2007 05:00:09 PM
Well, that was easy enough. 850/900 on Essentials and 870/900 on the 602. This is of course after I slid into a Lexux SUV thanks to a plow taking my turning lane.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-08-2007 03:40:04 PM
Now, now: no bad-mouthing Lexus.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Oh just go to hell
Pancake
posted 02-09-2007 05:22:09 PM
quote:
Bloodsage stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Now, now: no bad-mouthing Lexus.

ahahahaha

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: