EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Any way to force-flash a router?
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-30-2007 06:24:10 PM
So, I have this D-Link router, see, that's using custom firmware I put on there like 4 years ago that turns it into a Linksys.

Now it's started to restart every couple of seconds and I'm not sure why. Bear in mind this router worked perfectly for 4-5 years so I'm not complaining, it's definately run its full value. But rather than having to shell out for a new router, is there any way to forcefully flash one? Since this one now thinks it's a Linksys it won't take any D-Link firmware files the normal way (via the web interface).

The link I had for the custom firmware did have a reversal procedure, but since it's like 4 years old I lost that link forever ago.

Doomjudge
Pancake
posted 01-30-2007 10:44:50 PM
It's more than likely running DD-WRT, biggest custom firmware project. Try there for the newest version?
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-31-2007 01:00:34 PM
Never mind, the router won't even power on now. It's dead Jim.

I'll keep that link in mind for my new router though, which is definately be a Linksys. Might get one of those new draft-N ones, or might wait for the proper N ones to be ratified.

Doomjudge
Pancake
posted 01-31-2007 06:44:38 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Robocop:
Never mind, the router won't even power on now. It's dead Jim.

I'll keep that link in mind for my new router though, which is definately be a Linksys. Might get one of those new draft-N ones, or might wait for the proper N ones to be ratified.

Yeah might as well wait for full N, no point investing in a testing technology...unless for some reason you need really fast wireless connections...won't affect your net connection any though.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-31-2007 06:58:23 PM
quote:
Doomjudge said:
Yeah might as well wait for full N, no point investing in a testing technology...unless for some reason you need really fast wireless connections...won't affect your net connection any though.

Now that you mention it, nah, I don't need fast wireless at all. I'll just get a way cheaper G router. That's fast enough.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: