EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Cell Phone Info, k.
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 01-30-2007 03:43:14 PM
I got a new phone.
Cingular, Sync. (Samsung, SCH A707)

Now, due to a credit rating that makes most places laugh at me, I have been stuck on prepaid for a few years. This be the first contracted phone I have had in a while. And I have discovered things are better than they used to be.

Messaging. Yahoo, AIM, all that jazz. Along with Picture, Voice memo, and Video messaging. And its all flat rated. Why didnt they do this YEARS ago? Why dont ALL companies do this now? Jesus Harold Christ this is much handier.

On to the infos I am curious about.

What phone do you have?
What are its spifftastic features?
What sucks balls about it?
What service do you use?
What be your ringtone?
Do you use the mobile web shit?

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-30-2007 03:47:41 PM
I have the Samsung SCH-930. Or maybe it's the ACH-930. I love being able to snap pictures of funny shit I see, like the poster of some cartoon character with the word bubble "FEED ME A DICK" drawn on it. You know, shit like that.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 01-30-2007 03:53:39 PM
I have some cheapass LG phone from sprint. I use text messaging on it every once in a great while, I feel no need to surf the web or have mobile im on my phone. You hopeless internet addicts.

For the most part my phone works as a watch, so I don't have to wear a watch to know what fucking time it is. That is it's main purpose. It's secondary purpose is receiving phone calls from people. It's third is storing peoples phone numbers, because that shit is hard to remember. It's fourth is making phone calls. I see no reason to live my life around my phone, and don't quite get why other people do.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Skaw
posted 01-30-2007 04:44:23 PM
quote:
Kaiote attempted to be funny by writing:
What phone do you have?
What service do you use?
What be your ringtone?

RAZR V3
Video Camera, Web, MP3 playback, AIM
Screen gets hard as fuck to clean, thats about it really.
T-Mobile
Venture Bros. Theme
No.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 01-30-2007 at 04:44 PM.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-30-2007 04:55:18 PM
quote:
How.... Kaiote.... uughhhhhh:
I got a new phone.
Cingular, Sync. (Samsung, SCH A707)

What phone do you have?
What service do you use?
What be your ringtone?

I have the same phone you do and it rocks.
You know this.
You know this.
You know this.
Basic cingular ring tone
Yup, on occasion at least.

The sync is an awesome phone.

quote:
I see no reason to live my life around my phone, and don't quite get why other people do.

Hurr Beta is cooler than all of us.

See, sometimes people are out somewhere and have to waste 15 or 20 minutes before an appointment. Or maybe you're leaving work and want to check to see what movies are showing at the local theater but forgot the phone number. Or you're out and want to see if your favorite sports team won the game. Or maybe you're waiting on an important email from someone but don't want to be tied to your computer.

It has its uses. Some people like convergence devices, too -- they dont want to carry an MP3 player, a phone and a PDA all in one. So they get something that can do it all decently and go from there.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 01-30-2007 at 05:00 PM.

Greenlit
posted 01-30-2007 07:14:53 PM
My current phone sucks, but I'll probably end up with an iPhone sooner or later.
Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 01-30-2007 09:15:17 PM
No fair. You have the phone I want!

What phone do you have? A motorola v180 (I think)

What are its spifftastic features? There aren't any.

What sucks balls about it? Where to begin. This is actually the replacement for the original that stopped vibrating. And this replacement is worse because if the phone actually is shut off, it takes an act of God to get it come back on (well, it used to, but I threw it against the wall and it came back on and lately it's been okay). I want to replace it, and they want to do so by reupping my contract which I refuse to do since I am no longer in the area.

What service do you use? Cingular, and I like them.

What be your ringtone? Default right now is The Fray - How to save a life. But important peeps have specific tones.

Do you use the mobile web shit? I did, but it costs money so I don't.

Razor
posted 01-30-2007 09:59:54 PM
Sony Ericson z350
bluetooth, irda, music recording/playback, java enabled.
ugh... the camera is next to useless for any decent type of picture...
Cingular, extra cheap-o plan ($29 a month)
A variant of bannana phone called Bromophone(named after a patsy on the local morning show)
can't/don't need to.
Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 01-31-2007 12:17:20 AM
quote:
Jajahotep spewed forth this undeniable truth:
I want to replace it, and they want to do so by reupping my contract which I refuse to do since I am no longer in the area.

What service do you use? Cingular, and I like them.

What? If you have had your contract with them long enough, and kept it in good standing.. They'll do damn near anything to keep you. Just tell them that you would like to reup your account, but you need a local number for where you are living now. I mean, hell, my new phone number isn't even local to the town where I got the phone. I had them set up a local number where my mom lives so she can call me without paying long distance.

Just go to the store, and talk to the people. You'd be amazed what they give you just because you asked.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 01-31-2007 06:24:54 AM
Personal phone

What phone do you have? Treo 700P
What are its spifftastic features? PDA functionality, broadband internet, etc
What sucks balls about it? Slow to switch applications and the phone sometimes locks up in SMS
What service do you use? Verizon
What be your ringtone? Kyocera Loud. It is annoying but you know it when you hear it.
Do you use the mobile web shit? I use the internet a lot it but it is a bit different than mobile web.

Work phone
What phone do you have? Motorola Q
What are its spifftastic features? Same as above
What sucks balls about it? Lack of touch screen hampers the PDA functionality. I like the full WM5 over the phone edition that comes on the Q
What service do you use? Same
What be your ringtone? Same
Do you use the mobile web shit? Same

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 01-31-2007 09:09:00 AM
What phone do you have?

Samsung SGH-T609

MP3 Ringtones, MP3 Player, MicroSD Card Slot, 1.3 Megapixel camera, and other crap I rarely use.

The volume is pretty soft for the ringtones, so I have to edit every song in Goldwave to turn the volume up on my ringtones.

What service do you use?

T-Mobile. Sooooo many of my friends and family use it, and I'm on the family plan so I can call up ANY T-Mobile subscriber day or night without using up my minutes. I usually never use more than 1/3rd of my minutes, if that much.

What be your ringtone?

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody for anyone who calls me who doesn't have a specific ringtone programmed in. For those who do, it's mainly video game stuff - Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Final Fantasy, etc.

Not really, no.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 01-31-2007 12:06:19 PM
quote:
Jajahotep had this to say about Optimus Prime:
What phone do you have? A motorola v180 (I think)

Motorola V180s are basically the worst phones you can possibly get without just carrying a damn rotary phone around with you.

I went through 3 of them in about 9 months and only 1 of them fucked up in such a way that it was actually my fault (I tripped, slammed into a wall on my hip, and wound up cracking the LCD screen.) The other 2 just died for no reason at all. I actually wound up having to stretch the life of the last one - first the vibrate function died, then the external screen on the back of it flipped out, then it became dramatically more difficult to dial, then finally the actual LCD screen spazzed the fuck out and quit working (it barely worked anyway, it would randomly go black and the phone would quit working for like 15 minutes at a time.)

Nevermind that my reception always sucked and it was never loud enough to hear anyway, so I'd constantly miss calls (or like if I tried to keep the phone on vibrate, it randomly wouldn't work even before it started going out, so I'd miss calls.) Even when it was brand new, almost every time I'd look at it I had a miss call.

Hated that phone. My mom had one too and hers went out pretty much the same as mine did. Awful, awful phones.

I have an older model of a Nokia phone now and I am in love.

Monica fucked around with this message on 01-31-2007 at 12:12 PM.

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 01-31-2007 12:43:59 PM
quote:
Kaiote wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
What? If you have had your contract with them long enough, and kept it in good standing.. They'll do damn near anything to keep you. Just tell them that you would like to reup your account, but you need a local number for where you are living now. I mean, hell, my new phone number isn't even local to the town where I got the phone. I had them set up a local number where my mom lives so she can call me without paying long distance.

Just go to the store, and talk to the people. You'd be amazed what they give you just because you asked.

When I went to one of the local centers here before Christmas when the phone stopped working, I told them I didn't mind reupping the plan but I had to have a local number and he acted like I was asking for a pint of his blood. I planned on going to another location tomorrow and talking with them because it's a pain in the ass having a number that is in IN when I live in SC.

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 01-31-2007 12:47:22 PM
quote:
Monica had this to say about dark elf butts:
Motorola V180s are basically the worst phones you can possibly get without just carrying a damn rotary phone around with you.

I went through 3 of them in about 9 months and only 1 of them fucked up in such a way that it was actually my fault (I tripped, slammed into a wall on my hip, and wound up cracking the LCD screen.) The other 2 just died for no reason at all. I actually wound up having to stretch the life of the last one - first the vibrate function died, then the external screen on the back of it flipped out, then it became dramatically more difficult to dial, then finally the actual LCD screen spazzed the fuck out and quit working (it barely worked anyway, it would randomly go black and the phone would quit working for like 15 minutes at a time.)

Nevermind that my reception always sucked and it was never loud enough to hear anyway, so I'd constantly miss calls (or like if I tried to keep the phone on vibrate, it randomly wouldn't work even before it started going out, so I'd miss calls.) Even when it was brand new, almost every time I'd look at it I had a miss call.

Hated that phone. My mom had one too and hers went out pretty much the same as mine did. Awful, awful phones.

I have an older model of a Nokia phone now and I am in love.

My mom has the same phone as me and has no problems with it. But I think it's because she doesn't use hers nearly as much as I do. They just don't seem to hold up very well. What pisses me off is the fact that when I signed up for the plan through my former job, this was THE PHONE that Cingular was pimping. I've read on other message boards about these phones that they really are craptacular.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 02-01-2007 07:01:15 AM
They really are fine as long as you NEVER EVER use them and basically just leave them in the box and use them once a month. I used mine pretty heavily, but my mom didn't use hers nearly as much. Hers still went out, though - just slower than mine.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-02-2007 06:42:27 AM
I have the HTC P3300.

Spifftastic features: GPS, WIFI, Bluetooth, WM5, push e-mail, 2 megapixel camera, weighs 124g

What sucks: it's not telepathic

What service: pay-as-you-go for now

Ringtone: Halloween theme for Vernal, generic for others

Mobile Web: no, WIFI is too common, and much cheaper

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 02-02-2007 05:44:32 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Duck Tales:
I have the HTC P3300.

Spifftastic features: GPS, WIFI, Bluetooth, WM5, push e-mail, 2 megapixel camera, weighs 124g

What sucks: it's not telepathic

What service: pay-as-you-go for now

Ringtone: Halloween theme for Vernal, generic for others

Mobile Web: no, WIFI is too common, and much cheaper

I've read in a few places that in Europe, pay as you go is more common than a post paid plan anyway. Most services here in the states have crappy customer service, and most of the phones networking features turned off. Add to it things like ifferent messaging features depending on if you are pre or post paid. Prepaid has basic text, where postpaid has text, video, picture and all for the same rate. And to top it off, it costs more.

So, how does Euro prepaid compare?

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-02-2007 06:16:28 PM
I had a contract when I lived in Germany, and it was good. Here in France, though, the services are all insanely expensive and there's only one company that lets you out of your contract if you move due to work. Rather than trying to negotiate the legalese in a language other than my own, I opted for prepaid.

I don't get the network features, but that's less and less relevant these days with the ubiquity of WIFI hotspots in most built-up areas. I pay about $40/month, a bit more if I'm traveling and have a lot of roaming charges.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-02-2007 06:23:47 PM
Some old panasonic thing, which I've used all of twice I think.

I really don't have a need for one. I only ever take it in the car with me in case of an accident or a breakdown and that's it. I just call my mates' landlines and cells on my landline. Cheaper too.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: