EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Just a question for you gamers out there...
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 01-22-2007 12:15:16 AM
Okay. You just bought a brand new game that just came out a short while ago. You've got the hot little package in your hands. Once you get that cellophane wrapper off the cover, do you...

1. Take out the instruction manual and read it carefully and thoroughly, hoping the knowledge gleaned from its glossy pages will help you in the game?

or

2. Pop the game into your game console and start playing immediately?

Skaw
posted 01-22-2007 12:20:48 AM
Most games nag you about controls in the begining. Don't know why they even have instruction booklets now a days.
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 01-22-2007 12:39:52 AM
I normally glance through the instruction manual, looking for anything lore-based. Since those are fairly rare, the manual ends up in the trash after 10 minutes of gameplay.
Ragabash
Pancake
posted 01-22-2007 12:42:04 AM
Depends if I have to go to the bathroom.
Feed my hungry soul.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-22-2007 12:43:38 AM
Whenever I play a game, I take the instruction booklet out and go into the bathroom and read it for awhile. I'll sit in there for awhile and read it while I'm going poo.

When I'm flushed out, I feel ready.

Willias
Pancake
posted 01-22-2007 12:57:55 AM
3. Open the manual, flip through and glance at the pictures, especially things like power ups/moves. If there's anything neat, I'll read it. If there isn't, IT'S GAME TIME.
Gadani
U
posted 01-22-2007 01:25:48 AM
quote:
Alidane wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I normally glance through the instruction manual, looking for anything lore-based. Since those are fairly rare, the manual ends up in the trash after 10 minutes of gameplay.

I can't buy games without the manual or throw the manual away.

The game box feels incomplete and although I'll probably never look at the manual more than once, I hate not having it.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-22-2007 04:18:15 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan said:
Whenever I play a game, I take the instruction booklet out and go into the bathroom and read it for awhile. I'll sit in there for awhile and read it while I'm going poo.

When I'm flushed out, I feel ready.

I usually do this too.

Though most manuals these days are 4 pages of worthless crap. Not like they used to be, they used to be storehouses of lore that were fun to flick through. The last memorable one was the Oblivion manual and even that was a pale shade of manuals from ages past.

Blackened
posted 01-22-2007 07:02:50 AM
It depends on two things:

If this particular game is something I feel I'm going to appreciate enough to warrant looking through the booklets

or

If I feel this game has a control scheme or mechanic that sounds like it could be confusing even to an ICE PRO GAMER like myself

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Greenlit
posted 01-22-2007 07:17:58 AM
grandma please we didn't even look at the manual for Armed Assault
Blackened
posted 01-22-2007 07:20:53 AM
quote:
Greenlit.
grandma please we didn't even look at the manual forbuy Armed Assault
yup

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 01-22-2007 08:33:56 AM
quote:
Ragabash stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Depends if I have to go to the bathroom.

also if I think that the manual will be funny, like Contact's for DS.

Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 01-22-2007 10:28:21 AM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about the Spice Girls:
I usually do this too.

Though most manuals these days are 4 pages of worthless crap. Not like they used to be, they used to be storehouses of lore that were fun to flick through. The last memorable one was the Oblivion manual and even that was a pale shade of manuals from ages past.

I miss those thick manuals as well. The last two instruction manuals I've read through that fit that description were for World of Warcraft and Civilization IV.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 01-22-2007 10:56:14 AM
quote:
Mortious wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I usually do this too.

Homeworld

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-22-2007 11:22:36 AM
I read them after I start playing, when I take my normal "Frustration Dump."
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Cherveny
Papaya
posted 01-22-2007 12:26:11 PM
I also like skimming through for lore/story type info, but get most control info from the game itself.

I also miss the old thick manuals, especially the old Ultima series manuals.

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 01-22-2007 01:03:36 PM
play first, read booklet later. then play again cause now i know more.

it gives the game replay value right?

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-22-2007 01:43:55 PM
quote:
Led said:
Homeworld

OH NO YOU DIDN'T JUST GO THERE.

Homeworld manual =

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-24-2007 11:54:00 PM
I page through the manual for the usual important stuff, like what I should look for item wise, etc, and then I play. Most games today hold your hand with the controls so I don't even look at that stuff.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-26-2007 05:41:11 AM
quote:
Tribute? You steal men's Alidanes, and make them your slaves!

Tell me you also throw away the case to make this anecdote worthwhile. Seriously, what else are you going to do with the part of the case designed to hold the manual that you go out of your way to toss it in the garbage?

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Oh just go to hell
Pancake
posted 02-10-2007 02:50:49 AM
quote:
Alidane impressed everyone with:

In the TRASH?!

so hardcore it hurts

-H

Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 02-10-2007 04:09:07 AM
If the game offers a tutorial, ie Civ 4 or Sim City 4, I go straight to the tutorial.
Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 02-10-2007 04:25:11 AM
Read it anyway, or at least flip through it while the game loads. I look for anything lore-ish, or pretty pictures, or something of the sort.

If there's a tutorial in the game I go through it anyway even if I know what I'm doing, because sometimes you get stuff in there that makes the immediate future much easier (see: Neverwinter Nights 2).

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Burori
Pancake
posted 02-10-2007 11:33:23 AM
Wait.... There's a manual that comes with the game? When did this happen?
Neverwinter Nights Characters:

Race: Dwarf
Name: (Kill) Kilinus
Class: Fighter/Weapon Master/ Doom Knight
Level: 14
Allignent: Neutral Evil
Diety: Bane

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: