EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Demonspawn wretches...
Stiddy
Pancake
posted 01-07-2007 02:37:19 AM
So, "Spawn"...is it any good?

I think I may have been turned off to checking it out by the movie adaption, as well as MacFarlane's terrible taste in music.

But is there substance to the series apart from its artwork and general style?

Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 01-07-2007 10:48:05 PM
the animated series or the movies?
Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-07-2007 10:59:35 PM
I liked Violator a lot.

Though, in retrospect, that might be because I was also a huge fan of Venom.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 01-08-2007 12:10:14 AM
The Lethal Protector
Stiddy
Pancake
posted 01-08-2007 01:54:54 AM
quote:
Norim Stumpfighter was naked while typing this:
the animated series or the movies?

The comic, or I guess the animated series if that's a good one.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 01-08-2007 03:40:00 AM
I saw some sort of spawn animated movie and I couldn't finish it.

I wanted to cry.

The only other exposure I've had to the charecter is Soul Caliber 2 though.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 01-08-2007 05:55:25 AM
quote:
Stiddy attempted to be funny by writing:
I guess the animated series if that's a good one.

As far as PrimeTime dramatic animated series goes... MTV's Adaptation of "The Maxx" owned HBO's "Spawn" in the ass.

McFarlane is great in the concept and design department, but his characters fail and all his stories end up falling apart and becoming huge messes. They usually start out freaking badass, but then just end up a bunch of trash.

Spawn, like his stint on SpiderMan, suffer this syndrome. Pure awesomesauce begining... Then.. wtf, craptacular fiesta after that.

Spawn as a flat out awesome premise, origins and all... Then just goes nowhere ending up in a mess.

Deth is the resident comics guru though, I gave up on the series in the late 90's, so he probably has more input than that.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 01-08-2007 07:46:07 AM
Fae hit all the main points. Back when Spawn was part of a cohesive multi-writer universe (in the early days of Image), when McFarlane was forced to keep up with his peers, the writing and storylines tended to be better. Spawn was in many ways one of the prime "arguments" as to why first-generation creator-owned content was a bad idea.

See...so long as McFarlane had to keep up with the other writers, there was a context for Spawn to function in. He had to keep up with other characters, especially because the character who ORIGINALLY killed him, Chapel, was a character owned by another Artist/owner (Rob Liefeld) and was for a long time showing up in his own series, as well as one of the flagship series from Image (Youngblood). When Image started to break down, references to other characters had to be retconned (Chapel, which was hinted at all through the early issues by Spawn's proclivity for sitting on Church chapels, had to become "Priest").

Then there was the under-use or mis-use of characters. The Angela character in particular actually suffered more when she got her own miniseries, and a pseudo-duplicate (Tiffany) showed up later. Violator likewise suffered.

When the live action movie came out, it was McFarlane spreading his multimedia wings. Unfortunately, they didn't unfurl properly. McFarlane does apparently intend to do a new live action movie ("the right way" he says). But the live action movie was horrible. The HBO series was pretty good, but it really only rehashed the early issues when the writing was good.

Most of the comic has degenerated into dramatic poses, which McFarlane's always been good at. Story stinks, especially as he tried to make it more complex (and only succeeded in making it more convoluted) and philosophical (now preachy and in a lot of ways anti-religious)

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: