EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Harry Potter and the End of the Gravy Train
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-21-2006 03:00:45 PM
Book 7 title announced.

I haven't really had the urge to read these books...should I?

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 12-21-2006 04:36:41 PM
Yes, they're quite east to get through, and tend to get better and more mature as the books progress. Plus, if you don't like them, they're not so long that they'll kill you (see: Wheel of Time)
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-21-2006 04:47:53 PM
Read book 1 and 2. It will take you about 4 hours.

You will be hooked.

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 12-21-2006 04:55:31 PM
You can read the first six in about a week. Although there are quite a few pages, the writing flows well and there aren't any complex themes, or even complex language. The plot is fun to read though, and it's amusing when Harry turns angsty in the fifth book.

Hell, if you're motivated you can do the first three books in a day.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-21-2006 06:35:24 PM
quote:
Noxhil2 wrote this stupid crap:
it's amusing when Harry turns angsty in the fifth book.

Nah that was just plain irritating. Hope she DOES gank his ass in book seven.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

leckzilla!
Squeak!
posted 12-21-2006 06:46:30 PM
In the UK they make school children aged about 12 (year 8. I think I was 12 anyway.) read a selection of books for the Carnagie medal or however the fuck it's spelt and then vote which one they prefer, and the year I got to do it was the year the very first Harry Potter book was shortlisted for it.

And I didn't like Harry Potter then. I don't want to sound like a pretentious cunt but i've not had an interest in children's books since I was about 9.

So short pointless story aside what i'm trying to say is that No, Karnaj, you aren't the only one.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 12-21-2006 06:49:44 PM
I read the first one, it was all right. I didn't feel compelled to go out and read the other ones though.
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 12-21-2006 07:46:10 PM
Harry Potter books are fun for all ages.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-21-2006 09:59:55 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael wrote:
Nah that was just plain irritating. Hope she DOES gank his ass in book seven.

Teenangers being angsty? Sound the alarm! This cannot stand!

Maradon!
posted 12-21-2006 11:56:36 PM
I boycott the books because of Rowling's insistance that she is the end-all, be-all of fantasy writers.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-22-2006 12:03:02 AM
quote:
I bet you never expected leckzilla! to say:
In the UK they make school children aged about 12 (year 8. I think I was 12 anyway.) read a selection of books for the Carnagie medal or however the fuck it's spelt and then vote which one they prefer, and the year I got to do it was the year the very first Harry Potter book was shortlisted for it.

And I didn't like Harry Potter then. I don't want to sound like a pretentious cunt but i've not had an interest in children's books since I was about 9.

So short pointless story aside what i'm trying to say is that No, Karnaj, you aren't the only one.

The first book is very much aimed at children. They progressively get more adult oriented.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-22-2006 12:13:31 AM
quote:
Pvednes said:
Harry Potter books are fun for all ages of children.

quote:
Blindy said:
The first book is very much aimed at children. They progressively get more child oriented.

Fixed these for you.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 12-22-2006 02:18:43 AM
I don't really care if they're children's books. I like them.

Too bad I dropped off after about the fourth one, though. Lack of free time.

Greenlit
posted 12-22-2006 02:20:29 AM
quote:
Mortious probably says this to all the girls:
Fixed these for you.

The first one is painfully child-oriented, and they ramped up in maturity for the second and especially the third.. then four and five were fucking godawful. I haven't touched the others.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 12-22-2006 02:51:12 AM
6 is
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-22-2006 02:51:49 AM
Who wants to bet on sidestory books/prequels!?
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 12-22-2006 02:55:40 AM
Or an ongoing series of Harry becoming an Auror, as its had groundwork laid since book 4.
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 12-22-2006 06:51:56 AM
I reckon Harry dies at the end.
Cadga 2.0
Pancake
posted 12-22-2006 08:31:09 AM
SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE
Professional Heretic/Sinner/Linux User
"Every Breath leaves me one less to my last"
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-22-2006 08:51:59 AM
I think Harry will die, but he'll knock up someone before he does, so that the cash cow can be milked again in a couple years. You know, after J.K. Rowling gets tired of literally swimming in cash.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 12-22-2006 10:11:28 AM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about Pirotess:
I think Harry will die, but he'll knock up someone before he does, so that the cash cow can be milked again in a couple years. You know, after J.K. Rowling gets tired of literally swimming in cash.

She is so Scrooge McDuck.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-22-2006 04:46:07 PM
quote:
Pvednes wrote this stupid crap:
I reckon Harry dies at the end.

That's the predominant theory, since a lot of people believe his scar is the 7th Horcrux.

I liked them, Karnaj. They're easy reads (I read 4 while I was in the hospital for that couple days last year after surgery so I could be fresh when I saw the movie), they have good characterization, the plots are rather creative and the world she's created is well-fleshed out and solid. You don't get as much of a feel for that last in the movies as you do the books, even though you see things literally fleshed out there. Just all the little nuances that she throws in that makes it clear she's really done some thinking on just how this should go or that.

Also, don't use the movies as a basis to read the books or not. The movies left some things out, although I can't say they were important. There is a lot of flavor stuff left out, some side stories and such, but the movies are a good Cliffs Notes version of the books. The spirit of things is still there.

I also wouldn't judge based on the first one. The tone of the books, as Harry and the rest have grown and started facing different problems in their lives, has definitely grown more serious from the first book when they were all 11 and had 11 year olds issues to this book when they'll all be 17 and the worst wizard in recent history is back on the scene killing people.

They may just not be for you, since they're not for everyone, but reading the first two won't take too much time out of your life and I think by 2 you'll know if you enjoy them or not. 2 is my personal favorite because I think the villain is very creative.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-22-2006 04:49:16 PM
Lyinar will have to request maternity leave to read it
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-22-2006 05:48:49 PM

Believe me, I didn't want to stay in the hospital on the stupid morphine drip they were supposed to take me off of

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-22-2006 06:05:37 PM
I read one of them, and it reminded me too strongly of Lovecraft's underlying racism to be an enjoyable read. Too much White Man's Burden going on, and too much emphasis on people's bloodlines making them special.

Ick.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Elvish Crack Piper
posted 12-22-2006 08:19:47 PM
Isn't the 3 main charecters point all about bloodline not being important? The only pureblood wizard, is poor and the worst at magic and such. The smartest has two muggle parents, and Harry is half and half.
Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 12-22-2006 10:10:40 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Bloodsage:
I read one of them, and it reminded me too strongly of Lovecraft's underlying racism to be an enjoyable read. Too much White Man's Burden going on, and too much emphasis on people's bloodlines making them special.

Ick.

You might have gotten the wrong idea, as the unimportance of origin is a pretty big theme.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 12-23-2006 02:19:20 AM
At times I have to wonder which would be the worse read, the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles or the Harry Potter books.

I've read the first 4, I have 5 and 6 that I've never read and she's up to like what... 9? It was all downhill after the second book.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-23-2006 03:56:01 AM
quote:
Bloodsage stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:

Ick.

Yeah, you got the wrong idea. Hermione comes from two Muggle parents and Draco is constantly on her about her being a Mudblood, which is what they call those who aren't from pure wizarding families. Harry's mother is a Muggle as well, having come from the same family as Petunia and it was a surprise for their family when Lily turned out to be a witch.

Ron is a pureblood. His parents are both members of the Order of the Phoenix. Neville's as well. They're both two of the weaker wizards in the stories. But origin and bloodlines aren't what's important.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-23-2006 05:17:33 AM
I have to disagree: bloodlines and origins don't matter within the elite class. There's a difference.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-23-2006 08:29:20 AM
within the elite class?

...Wizards? I must be misunderstanding. The series is ABOUT wizards.

The series goes out of it's way to make people who care about origin of wizards the bad guys, and the people who don't care are the good guys. Likewise, I found the constant visits to Ron's family home, at worst, as being "this is a typical house full of magic users...albeit magic users who lost the magic birth control" and more likely it was supposed to be another look at some of the cool stuff wizards get away with in the privacy of their own homes.

As for Rowling and her "insistence" that she's the shiznit of the Fantasy writing scene...well...any popular fantasy author gets that sort of attitude. Anne Rice, Salvatore...all too often they start reading their own press.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-23-2006 11:23:20 AM
Like I said, I only read the one, and it was quite obviously Lovecraftian in its separation of humanity into the elites (wizads) and non-elites (muggles) based on genetics. Then throw in the whole White Man's Wizard's Burden in protecting the lowly muggles from interference, or even knowledge. . .and what do you have? YMMV.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-23-2006 04:08:44 PM
quote:
How.... Bloodsage.... uughhhhhh:
Like I said, I only read the one, and it was quite obviously Lovecraftian in its separation of humanity into the elites (wizads) and non-elites (muggles) based on genetics. Then throw in the whole White Man's Wizard's Burden in protecting the lowly muggles from interference, or even knowledge. . .and what do you have? YMMV.

Okay I can see the argument...Sort of.

I wouldn't qualify wizards as being elite. They're given a more fantastic, wondrous sort of outlook in the series, but that's because the stories are being told from the perspective of Harry, who has spent most of his life at this point being raised in the sort of world we're all familiar with.

The flipside has been that the wizarding community is just as mystified with how muggles do things as muggles are with the idea of magic. They're so tied up in how magic works that they don't really understand how, say, a car functions. Or batteries. Rowling's never come out and said it in the books (at least the first four), exactly, but I gather that at some point in the past the magic and nonmagic communities diverged into two very separate directions. The wizarding community's Ministry of Magic still answers to the Prime Minister, though.

To be honest, I'd almost categorize wizards in Harry Potter as being a bit like Mutants in Marvel comics, without the rampant persecution. More like a sort of cover detante.

Elvish Crack Piper
posted 12-24-2006 01:48:25 AM
Raised, by some of the worst examples of guardians as one can imagine in a kids book.

Bloodsage, do you have the same problem with Star Treks first amendment or the people in the matrix movies?

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-25-2006 10:59:12 PM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Raised, by some of the worst examples of guardians as one can imagine in a kids book.

Bloodsage, do you have the same problem with Star Treks first amendment or the people in the matrix movies?

First amendment? You mean Prime Directive?

Elvish Crack Piper
posted 12-26-2006 04:11:45 AM
Details Details

yeah whoops

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-26-2006 08:33:10 PM
quote:
How.... Bloodsage.... uughhhhhh:

They're not protecting the Muggles from anything, though. They have to hide everything about their society from the Muggle community. It's been a while since I read the 5th, but toward the beginning of that one there's some explanation into just why things have to be that way.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-26-2006 11:24:28 PM
I think their explanation had something to do with people who know about magic relying on it instead of coming up with solutions of their own (i.e. technology).

`Doc fucked around with this message on 12-26-2006 at 11:24 PM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Malbi
posted 12-27-2006 12:41:03 AM
quote:
`Doc had this to say about Optimus Prime:
I think their explanation had something to do with people who know about magic relying on it instead of coming up with solutions of their own (i.e. technology).

Nah I'd say its simple self-preservation. People know and the wizards become one way or another a hunted people. Witchhunt's , hate crimes, government and private experimentation/dissections...

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Taylen
Pancake
posted 12-27-2006 06:07:09 PM
Plus wouldn't the point of the elite class thing be if wizards were trying to protect muggles from muggle "mistakes"? Which they aren't they are trying to protect them from unscrupulous wizards that would try to hurt them for the wizard's own amusment.
"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: