EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Zune?
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 12-13-2006 09:05:28 PM
What do you all think of the Zune? I took a look at one today and really can't decide what to think. I like the bigger screen but I can't help but think it is just trying to copy a lot of the ipods features and falling a bit short. It is dang nice for a first Gen product but still needs work. THe lack of a scroll-wheel is a big problem and while the screen is nice it didn't seem quite as sharp as my iPod Video.

Does anyone own one yet or have you used one for a longer period of time than 5 minutes?

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-13-2006 09:30:38 PM
I'd like an opinion on this, as well, since the iPod is a piece of shit.
Mightion Defensor
posted 12-13-2006 10:05:11 PM
Basically, the Zune is a first-generation Microsoft product, from what I've read, with all the plus and minuses that phrase has attached to it.

Me, I'm quite happy with my 8 GB Nano - holds all my music, with room for a lot more, and does everything I wanted it for.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 12-14-2006 02:39:05 AM
My only information on the Zune comes from Pvp.

I contribute nothing.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 12-14-2006 05:06:18 AM
I sell the zune. I like them. I mess with the one at work all the time.

+'s
*The Fm receiver somehow manages to pick up like every signal in the area amazingly even though my store is a black hole for radio waves.

*The zune software is the same stuff you need to pum music on your 360 from a computer now, so some people probaaly already have it installed and it doesnt suck as bad as Itunes does.(i HATE itunes)

*the zune TECHNICALY works with itunes format, as you can convert itunes useing WMP to WMA audio and the zune plays that fine.

*It has Awesome as hell sound quality. Seriously, I have a 50$ set of logitech speakers hooked to our zune. Sounds dolby quality at pretty much anywhere in the store if I crank it(says alot for logitechs speakers probably)

*Supposivly has a great battery life of like 20 hours of playtime depending on wtf your doing. I cant confirm this as my zune is jacked into the wall and I cant rip the plug out of it without disasembling the stand its on.

*The screen is bigger... ALOT BIGGER than a video ipod. If you ever intend to watch a movie on your player, fuck the ipod, its screen is small shit in comparison. theres like an inch and a half difference(which doesnt seem like much, until you realize that the ipods screen is like 3" x 2" and the zunes is like 3" x 4")

*Microsoft pays US to sell the zune, instead of dishing out like 20 million to apple to even CARRY THE DAMN IPOD... WTF IS WITH THAT(retail rant, ignore this)

the -'s

*Microsoft launch. 2 dreaded words. ON the bright side, ive had 0 zune returns and have sold 12, except a guy that wanted to get one at my store instead of what he payed at best buy as I apparenly sell them for 30$ less than best buy does or something silly, he wanted to return one.(which i dont beleive as microsoft sets the price on everything that is theirs that we carry)

*Zune software is currently not vista capable. DONT ASK ME WHY!!! Microsoft rep says, "Yea, thats a silly mistake someone forgot to do, Zune software might get updated on release and start coming with the free vista install disks anyone that buys a computer between october and dec gets." It's what he said, not what I said. I control nothing!

* one of the colors is "copper" It looks like shit. The white is nice and white, the black is black, but the copper... is like a mix of brown and orange and ... know that color that rust is? Yea, its kinda like that.

Overall, the zune is better than an ipon in many aspects, I just like it better because it doesn't well... suck like an ipod does half the time.

Also, the wifi works. We tried it with a zune that someone happened to have in the store one day. Works VERY QUICKLY. like 3 seconds and the song is yours for 3 plays /3 days. I expect that to be cracked before vista comes out though as I'd immagaine that a programer left an obvious back door to shutting it off in the thing to piss off the music industry.

SUMMERY!

Get a zune, ipods suck in comparison.

Edit: ask any questions about it and I'll respond as timely as i can. It IS finals week.

Y.O.T.C fucked around with this message on 12-14-2006 at 05:08 AM.

Greenlit
posted 12-14-2006 05:34:48 AM
A workaround's already been found for the mp3 sharing; just rename your files to .jpg or something.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 12-14-2006 06:23:16 AM
So basically you hate iPods and iTunes for some reason so you are telling people to get a Zune? Gotcha. I am not saying the Zune is bad. Like I said in my original post, from what I have seen they aren't bad. But you seemed a lot more anti iPod than pro Zune there.

How is navigation with the 5 way Job instead of a scroll wheel? Does it play AAC files or OOGs?

And by the way.. The zunes screen is only about 1/2 inch bigger than a current Gen Video iPod and has the same resolution. (320x240) This is one of the big reasons I am questioning your "review" here. You need to get the basic facts right or you come off as just ranting.

What really sucks to me is that both are set to 4x3 screen ratio. I want 16x9 dammit.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
nem-x
posted 12-14-2006 06:56:48 AM
Who's gonna use that wifi transfer system? Dirty non-illegal people thats who.
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 12-15-2006 12:00:20 AM
quote:
nem-x had this to say about John Romero:
Dirty non-illegal people thats who.

so... legal people?

I think once Microsoft starts to upgrade and get some feedback from users, the zune could be superior to an iPod. But for right now,apple has a big headstart. Time will tell I suppose.

Norim Stumpfighter fucked around with this message on 12-15-2006 at 12:03 AM.

Maradon!
posted 12-15-2006 04:14:45 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Y.O.T.C booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Supposivly

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

S-U-P-P-O-S-E-D-L-Y

Maradon!
posted 12-15-2006 04:17:53 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Y.O.T.C who doth quote:
*Zune software is currently not vista capable. DONT ASK ME WHY!!! Microsoft rep says, "Yea, thats a silly mistake someone forgot to do, Zune software might get updated on release and start coming with the free vista install disks anyone that buys a computer between october and dec gets." It's what he said, not what I said. I control nothing!

Wait a second here chief

The Zune syncs with media player 11, just like the 360.

Media player 11 is very much vista compatible.

Maradon!
posted 12-15-2006 04:52:01 AM
As much as I hate to speak ill of any apple competitor

It seems to me like the zune is set for a failure of n-gage proportions. It costs the same, doesn't play games or have calendars and crap like the ipod, only has a slightly bigger screen, and the wireless is completely and totally useless since the songs expire in 3 days, can only be shared once (you can't share a song that you received as shared), and have a pretty shitty transfer rate. The wireless also drains the battery just like making a cell phone call.

So you're basically paying the same amount of money for a device that doesn't do as many things as an ipod, and the only compensation is a feature which, frankly, sucks.

I stand by my recommendation of the sandisk sansa.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 12-15-2006 at 04:55 AM.

Cadga 2.0
Pancake
posted 12-15-2006 02:24:34 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Y.O.T.C wrote:
I sell the zune.

Stopped reading here.

Professional Heretic/Sinner/Linux User
"Every Breath leaves me one less to my last"
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: