EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Divide by zero today!
Maradon!
posted 12-07-2006 05:43:13 AM
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 12-07-2006 05:45:21 AM
quote:
If your heart pacemaker divides by zero, you're dead.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 12-07-2006 06:15:35 AM
I've gone through that on paper three times now. It looks wrong and it feels wrong, but I can't work out how it is.

Pvednes fucked around with this message on 12-07-2006 at 06:20 AM.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 12-07-2006 06:29:10 AM
I don't think he's solved anything.

I think he's just trying to obscure the fact that 0/0 does not exist. We've already got a symbol for that--it's NaN. I think I'll redefine it as NadN. Not a damn number!

Not to mention, there is an awful lot of dividing by zero going on in there. Totally meaningless.

Shenanigans!!

+-+

If you have no apes and no bananas, how many bananas does each ape get?

That'd be a pretty good koan.

Pvednes fucked around with this message on 12-07-2006 at 07:32 AM.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-07-2006 07:37:34 AM
Following his math, 0^0, or in fact any number to the power of zero, is 1. Evaluate N^0 as follows: "It's N to the power of we didn't actually multiply by N in the first place."

See my second post here for my evaluation of dividing zero by zero. You want to solve problems that involve zero and/or infinite values? Throw in an infinity counter. Then go and solve x^2-2x+1=y^2 where x is infinity.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 12-07-2006 07:41:34 AM
Actually, I think he's demonstrated a distinct lack of understanding of mathematics in front of the entire world.

Plus, he's passing on that lack of understanding to schoolchildren.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 12-07-2006 08:24:41 AM
If anything it seems that he's just put a new symbol to NaN, his 'new' value dosn't lie on either the real or the imaginary axis and thus still breaks any calculus and whatnot. He he had found a way to show that this new 'nullify' could be placed at the origin and then be orthoginal to the real and imaginary lines it would have been useful, but this is just rubbish.
Ryuujin
posted 12-07-2006 01:56:26 PM
If your heart pacemaker divides by nullity, you become one of the undead.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-07-2006 08:28:02 PM
in b4 o shi
diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-07-2006 08:41:49 PM
Forgive my ignronace, but I forget which infinity 1/0 falls under. I know there is the infinty for intigers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and so on and so forth... but I forget which one this falls under. Is this an infinty that falls outside the whole chain and is therefore diffrent? It's been so long... i'm way too rusty. If it's one of the aleph-whatever infinitys that i'm used to, is it supposed to represent all of them, or just one of them? If it's not the type of infinity that I am used to (ie - you can measure the size of the infinity by seeing if one fits in another), where can I find documentation on it?

On the same note, how does coming up with a symbol instead of an error code fix the problems he mentioned?

diadem fucked around with this message on 12-07-2006 at 08:44 PM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-07-2006 09:16:28 PM
Fuck off.
Zaile Ghostmaker
You've gotta remember, I'm an EverQuest character.
posted 12-07-2006 09:23:36 PM
quote:
Pvednes had this to say about Punky Brewster:

If you have no apes and no bananas, how many bananas does each ape get?

All of them.

I find that most problems can be solved by excessive violence.

It is held in thought
only by the understanding
of the Wind.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-07-2006 10:19:19 PM
quote:
Mortious stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Fuck off.

who was that directed towards?

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-07-2006 10:48:30 PM
quote:
diadem said:
who was that directed towards?

Mathematics.

Steven Steve
posted 12-08-2006 01:17:01 AM
quote:
Pvednes had this to say about Knight Rider:
Actually, I think he's demonstrated a distinct lack of understanding of mathematics in front of the entire world.

Plus, he's passing on that lack of understanding to schoolchildren.

Yes basically haha

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: