EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Joel Siegel Throws a Hissy Fit at Clerks 2
Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 12-07-2006 03:56:42 AM
Please know I wouldn't make a new topic if I didn't find this utterly weird and fascinating and share-worthy, and hopefully some of you might also find it at least partially the same.

So the backstory is, you all know Kevin Smith and Clerks 2, right? I never saw it, don't really care, whatever. The issue is that, during a screening of Clerks 2 to a ROOM FULL OF CRITICS, Joel Siegel--a famous movie critic who's been in the business for decades and is known for titling his reviews with really cheesy puns (but then is there any other kind?)--hit the 40 minute mark, at which point he left the theater in a show of disgust. But not only did he leave, he stomped, muttered and bitched his way out, even shouting out his disgust for the whole theater to hear. That might be okay if you're an idiotic juvenile critic for a community college review section, but when you're an 'aged professional' who does it for quite a fine salary, you don't throw fits in the middle of a movie to show your disdain.

Anyway, the rant in Kevin Smith's blog explains the scene a bit better, and then if you scroll down to the link, or if you want to skip the blog, here is an MP3 of a radio show calling Siegel to discuss his behavior during the screening.

I don't even care about this particular sort of thing usually, I just found this -that crazy- that I felt compelled to share. A thousand apologies if you don't find it as entertaining or listen-worthy.

"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Maradon!
posted 12-07-2006 04:32:32 AM
Actually this was a pretty OK post.

Good work!

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-07-2006 07:27:12 AM
Well. I'm glad he tried to jump on that grenade for us. Seeing how well Clerks 2 did, it's rather amusing.

Of course, once you get to a certain level of being a critic, you can't lose either way. Movie you panned does bad? Well you were right. Did well? Well...you set it up by getting peoples' morbid sense of humor interested.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Gadani
U
posted 12-07-2006 08:04:01 AM
Didn't this happen awhile ago? Like, when the movie was first arriving in theaters?
Cadga 2.0
Pancake
posted 12-07-2006 08:07:50 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Gadani said this:
Didn't this happen awhile ago? Like, when the movie was first arriving in theaters?

Tuesday 18 July 2006 @ 4:16 pm

id say that is a resounding yes

Professional Heretic/Sinner/Linux User
"Every Breath leaves me one less to my last"
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 12-07-2006 09:15:15 AM
quote:
Gadani had this to say about the Spice Girls:

Yes, yes it did. It happened a few days before release IIRC.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 12-07-2006 01:02:32 PM
Still, I did a search through the forums to see if it wasn't mentioned before, and found nothing, so I thought it would be alright x.x
And I don't know, perhaps he threw the fit to get media attention, which he certainly got. It just sounds very whiny to me, "I HATED THIS MOVIE AND I WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW ABOUT IT!" because he felt his column didn't reach enough people, or it was more dramatic to storm out, who knows. But all he ended up doing is make certain people want to see it more, because that sort of reaction, I believe, is what the movie is actually going for in the older, conventional types of people.

I don't hate the movie, I just haven't seen it yet, I'll rent it on Netflix some time or something. Is it anything like Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny? I thought that movie was pretty amusing, unfortunately I saw it with my, um, father, for his birthday, because I had no idea how dirty it was x.x Woops, eheh.

"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 12-07-2006 01:26:39 PM
I haven't seen the pick of destiny. Not really sure if I want to, not a big Jack Black fan. But if you've enjoyed other Kevin Smith movies, it's par for the course, maybe a bit better than average.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Kait
posted 12-07-2006 05:39:43 PM
It took me forever to see Clerks I, actually, I couldn't really get through Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Dogma was good...a wee bit preachy, but good. So I guess if it's like Clerks or Dogma then I'll like/can stand it, but if it's just constant swearing and drug references, probably not x.x
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-07-2006 06:46:45 PM
Yeah I noticed it was an old post, too. That's why it's amusing in retrospect.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: