EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Proof by contradiction
diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-05-2006 09:54:50 PM
In response to a few debates, I figure I might as well be a pretentious asshole and start posting a few proofs for the benefit of my fellow posters.

The first proof - the one to be explained in this post - is proof by contradiction.

To do this, you prove your statement by showing how it cannot be false.

Statement: Parclean did not kill Rosa.
Proof by contradiction: If Parclean killed Rosa, she would be dead. She is not dead. Therefore, Parclean did not kill her.

Once the basic concept is down for this type of proof, I will make another post next week explain how to show a proof by contradiction mathematically.

edit: For my next post, I will explain that if rosa is dead, it doesn't necessarily mean that Parclean killed her. The math part will show why this is.

diadem fucked around with this message on 12-05-2006 at 09:58 PM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Greenlit
posted 12-05-2006 10:07:02 PM
I will now mathematically prove that diadem is stupid.

1 + 4 = 5

5 is a stupid number

diadem talks like a five year old

Thus, diadem is stupid.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-05-2006 10:13:00 PM
If people used logic in their arguments more often, I wouldn't feel obligated to make stupid posts like this.
play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Maradon!
posted 12-05-2006 10:35:25 PM
hay guys what's going on in this thr
nem-x
posted 12-05-2006 11:38:54 PM
lets go take a critical thinking class
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-05-2006 11:47:43 PM
this thread sucks really bad
DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 12-06-2006 10:02:52 AM
oh shit what the hell is "if P then Q"???
roit, less bash 'is noggin
Steven Steve
posted 12-06-2006 11:43:03 AM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I will now mathematically prove that diadem is stupid.

1 + 4 = 5

5 is a stupid number

diadem talks like a five year old

Thus, diadem is stupid.

Time for another spiteful signature quote haha

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-06-2006 12:06:47 PM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabbits doth run and play while nem-x gently hums:
lets go take a critical thinking class

Frankly, more people should.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 12-06-2006 12:19:52 PM
syllogism
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-06-2006 12:24:05 PM
silly jism
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 12-06-2006 12:33:43 PM
My critical thinking professor was a sexist pervert who would openly mock the females of the class (including me) in front of everyone :\ Didn't turn me off of logic, but did make me less inclined to attend further study courses on the subject.
"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-06-2006 12:38:54 PM
quote:
Quoth Kait:
My critical thinking professor was a sexist pervert who would openly mock the females of the class (including me) in front of everyone :\ Didn't turn me off of logic, but did make me less inclined to attend further study courses on the subject.

That's not a logical conclusion, ironically proving your need for further training.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 12-06-2006 01:00:51 PM
quote:
Bloodsage stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
That's not a logical conclusion, ironically proving your need for further training.

Hurt pride isn't about logic
I enjoyed the -class- I just didn't enjoy the mockery and subjugation by the professor. I will take more classes, just not at that school (he was pretty much the only philosophy teacher there).

"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Maradon!
posted 12-06-2006 04:26:54 PM
The Internet is MY critical thinking course.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-06-2006 04:35:42 PM
quote:
Maradon! got served! Maradon! got served!
The Internet is MY critical thinking course.

I agree! I certainly do my best thinking when I watch a fat bald diabetic vomit 2 gallons of eggnog into some dude's mouth.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: