EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Help!
Oreowned
My friends call me 'Wiggles'
posted 11-26-2006 10:20:48 PM
I need a topic for my final english paper. I've racked my brain for like an hour now and I keep coming up either blank or with useless topics. Just throw any ol topic at me, the professor made the mistake of telling us it could be about anything except abortion. I dunno why I'm having so much trouble since I never have before but all I'm coming up with is Ninjas > Pirates and I can't think of a way to word that as a thesis.

P.S. My first ever topic here!

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-26-2006 10:24:46 PM
Write about EverCrest.
Gadani
U
posted 11-26-2006 10:25:31 PM
You're seriously having a problem wording Ninjas are better than Pirates as a thesis? D:
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-26-2006 10:34:32 PM
Fuck your thesis. It should be about why pirates are better than ninjas.

You know why? Because Pastafarianism sounds way better than Ninjism. Though Ninjism is funnier....

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Razor
posted 11-26-2006 10:38:22 PM
Current political stances on the views of <insert topic here>.
Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-26-2006 10:44:22 PM
Any topic where the topic is optional, I just do on video games.
Cadga 2.0
Pancake
posted 11-26-2006 10:45:01 PM
How I came to love and admine Cadga: A retrospective

BRILLIANT!

Professional Heretic/Sinner/Linux User
"Every Breath leaves me one less to my last"
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-26-2006 10:50:20 PM
Political topics:
-The divisiveness in America (Democrats v. Republicans to the extreme) and the subsequent rise of pundits and punditry.

-Illegal immigration

-The narrow loss of the Neo-Nazi party in Germany and how the anti-Islamic platform can carry a lot of people to power.

Biographical topics:
-The Marquis de Sade and his importance to the freedom of speech and sexuality.

-The historical errors of William Wallace.

-Che Guevara the murderer and why college sophomores all wear shirts of him and think he's cool.

Fuck you
-I'm not a racist thats what so insane about this

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 11-26-2006 11:37:21 PM
Cinematic Topics!

Why Rocky is actually about the American Dream and whether or not that dream is hogwash.

Brokeback Mountain: Good movie or overrated nonsense which used a flashpoint topic to carry itself?

Star Wars: A visionary film which set out and succeeded to create a modern myth or a lousy movie released in the right place at the right time?

Birth of a Nation: A movie which glorifies the rise of the god-damned Ku Klux Klan. The movie is vaunted as a classic because of its technical innovations and simply because it's the precursor to our modern cinema. Do those qualities supercede its ethically questionable story?

The death of the serial movie. Why don't we see these anymore? Is it possible that the current trend towards trilogies is a modern analogue of this obsolete genre?
Well, yeah, serial != genre; I AM RUNNING OUT OF SYNONYMS OK

Computer-generated images vs. live-action. CGI is lambasted by some film buffs as being "fake." Aren't costumes and special effects also fake, or did a ton of people die filming Saving Private Ryan? Still, what about all the costume desigers and SFX artists who find demand for their services dwindling in the mainstream industry as CGI comes center stage? Which is more important: CGI's ability to visualize any scene, bringing the movie closer to the director's vision, or the artistry and craftsmanship involved in producing a physical set and costumes?

Sentow, Maybe fucked around with this message on 11-26-2006 at 11:39 PM.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-26-2006 11:46:29 PM
For an easy political A+, write about Israel and Palestine.
Leftover Mog
No, the spelling errors are not intentional
posted 11-27-2006 12:25:26 AM
Write about how annoying it is that a fifth of dune is appendixes(sp) and that the book is impossible to read without flipping to them every other paragraph
Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-- George Herbert Walker Bush

Oreowned
posted 11-27-2006 11:09:10 AM
quote:
Sentow, Maybe Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Computer-generated images vs. live-action. CGI is lambasted by some film buffs as being "fake." Aren't costumes and special effects also fake, or did a ton of people die filming Saving Private Ryan? Still, what about all the costume desigers and SFX artists who find demand for their services dwindling in the mainstream industry as CGI comes center stage? Which is more important: CGI's ability to visualize any scene, bringing the movie closer to the director's vision, or the artistry and craftsmanship involved in producing a physical set and costumes?

That's really good, I definately think I can squeeze 1250 words out of it. Double thanks to you fine sir and thanks everyone else who suggested things. I would have gone with one of the political ones but I'm not gonna lie here - I am an ignorant teenage girl and I figure it's better not to talk about things that I don't understand. ^^

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-27-2006 11:29:56 AM
1250 words is cake.

That's, like...4 pages double spaced. Cake.

Is it even a research paper or can you essentially just ramble on provided the paper itself is well composed?

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-27-2006 01:57:01 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Pvednes was all like:
For an easy political A+, write about Israel and Palestine.

This is actually really risky. There are some professors that mark students down for supporting Israel and just you fucking try supporting Palestine before a Jewish professor.

You could, however, theorize about how anti-semitism seems to be inborn into some people. Because of the Israel issue, Jewish people seem to be the most universally-despised people on earth.

Mr. Parcelan fucked around with this message on 11-27-2006 at 01:58 PM.

Oreowned
posted 11-27-2006 02:39:55 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
1250 words is cake.

That's, like...4 pages double spaced. Cake.

Is it even a research paper or can you essentially just ramble on provided the paper itself is well composed?

Yeah, it's not even a research paper. He just doesn't have anything he can actually give us a final on so he told us to write 1250 words about anything except abortion. He also cancelled classes for the rest of the semester so I think he's just fed up with us.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-27-2006 05:59:24 PM
You should have written about how professors being forced to teach when they don't want to is going to adversely affect future professional workers.
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 11-27-2006 11:19:07 PM
quote:
Oreowned wrote this in the snow with their pee:
He also cancelled classes for the rest of the semester so I think he's just fed up with us.

How many classes does that equal?

edit: clarification

BeauChan fucked around with this message on 11-27-2006 at 11:19 PM.

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Oreowned
posted 11-28-2006 12:34:24 AM
quote:
BeauChan spewed forth this undeniable truth:
How many classes does that equal?

edit: clarification

Well, only 9 but I'm not complaining.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 11-28-2006 12:45:04 AM
quote:
Oreowned had this to say about Cuba:
Well, only 9 but I'm not complaining.

How many weeks' worth of classes is that? Four?

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-28-2006 01:19:11 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Mr. Parcelan wrote:
This is actually really risky. There are some professors that mark students down for supporting Israel and just you fucking try supporting Palestine before a Jewish professor.

You could, however, theorize about how anti-semitism seems to be inborn into some people. Because of the Israel issue, Jewish people seem to be the most universally-despised people on earth.

Who said you have to take sides? Point out how vile both sides are and you can't lose. I got 100% on a short story on that once.

Oreowned
posted 11-28-2006 01:26:17 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Damnati:
How many weeks' worth of classes is that? Four?

Nah only 3...MWF class.

Demos
Pancake
posted 11-28-2006 02:07:15 AM
I just did a research paper on the the rise of nationalist music in pre-Soviet Russia and how distinctly Russian nationalist themes made the transition to film most effectively through Sergei Eisenstein's intellectual montage (such as in the films Battleship Potemkin and Oktober). Three easy composers to write about as well: Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky and Shostakovich. I can send you my bibliography as well if you're interested.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: