EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: So...
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 11-17-2006 06:13:46 PM
Anyone play this anymore? If so, where?
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 11-17-2006 06:17:11 PM
Every day. I just finished doing EoF beta and I'm enjoying the new expansion

<--

Er, forgot who I was posting as. This is Lyinar, teehee.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael fucked around with this message on 11-17-2006 at 06:17 PM.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Willias
Pancake
posted 11-17-2006 06:27:43 PM
Currently leveling up a Fae paladin on the Befallen server.

It feels odd to say it, but EQ2's Fairies (Fae) are one of the neater races I've seen added to an MMO.

Maradon!
posted 11-17-2006 06:28:54 PM
Lyinar and Pesco.

I'm pretty sure they're the only people left in the entire united states.

Willias
Pancake
posted 11-17-2006 06:49:44 PM
quote:
Maradon! said this about your mom:
Lyinar and Pesco.

I'm pretty sure they're the only people left in the entire united states.

They must have a ton of accounts then!

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 11-17-2006 07:26:37 PM
Which is funny that the two people here that play the most frequently are the same class

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Maradon!
posted 11-17-2006 08:08:50 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Willias booooze lime pole over bench lick:
They must have a ton of accounts then!

Two. The rest are chinese farmers trying to sell them things.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-17-2006 08:23:04 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Maradon! stammered:
Two. The rest are chinese farmers trying to sell them things.

One. Pesco's dead.

Peter
Pancake
posted 11-17-2006 08:25:23 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Willias:
Currently leveling up a Fae paladin on the Befallen server.

It feels odd to say it, but EQ2's Fairies (Fae) are one of the neater races I've seen added to an MMO.

I think there was another game that had them in, I am thinking maybe Horizons? the one with the PC dragons.

ANd i have thought about playing it again, but I am waiting to see how my end of the month goes, I might be packing my shit up and high tailing out of Jersey, If not I have 2 weeks of time off while my work is closed down, and I thought to give it another swing, since DDO is a dead duck to me, and the new expansion looks pretty nice. I rember getting to like 27 with my berzerker no problem, and trade skills wasn't so bad, plus I think they streamlined it, have less subcombines..subcombines suck, suck hardcore, SWG taught me how much so.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 11-17-2006 09:13:17 PM
The expansion is *very* nice. Good old Faydwer and lots of nostalgia.

Willias
Pancake
posted 11-17-2006 09:52:00 PM
quote:
Peter had this to say about dark elf butts:
I think there was another game that had them in, I am thinking maybe Horizons? the one with the PC dragons.

ANd i have thought about playing it again, but I am waiting to see how my end of the month goes, I might be packing my shit up and high tailing out of Jersey, If not I have 2 weeks of time off while my work is closed down, and I thought to give it another swing, since DDO is a dead duck to me, and the new expansion looks pretty nice. I rember getting to like 27 with my berzerker no problem, and trade skills wasn't so bad, plus I think they streamlined it, have less subcombines..subcombines suck, suck hardcore, SWG taught me how much so.

Yeah, Horizons. Apparently the Fae are extremely similar to Dryads in Horizons.

And EoF seems pretty good so far, Greater Faydark is definitely a more interesting zone to hunt in rather than Commonlands or Antonica, and I hope that Butcherblock is a more interesting 20 to 30 area than Nektulos or Thundering Steppes.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-17-2006 10:00:21 PM
Oh man, I loved the age of media hype surrounding the new MMOGs.

Remember? Shadowbane, Horizon's, Asheron's Call...they were all the great EQ killers and everyone was chanting gloom and doom and OH GOD IT'S THE END OF EQ!

Man, look at them now. Look at EQ now! Look at EQ2 now!

HAW

Rhiannah
WAI!!!
posted 11-17-2006 10:05:10 PM
I play on the Najena server with Lyinar. Azymyth is dead.

I'm an individual. Just like everyone else!

Willias
Pancake
posted 11-17-2006 10:19:56 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan impressed everyone with:
Oh man, I loved the age of media hype surrounding the new MMOGs.

Remember? Shadowbane, Horizon's, Asheron's Call...they were all the great EQ killers and everyone was chanting gloom and doom and OH GOD IT'S THE END OF EQ!

Man, look at them now. Look at EQ now! Look at EQ2 now!

HAW

Yeah, EQ is still kickin' and still has the highest subs out of all of SOE's games.

Though WoW did knock it down a few pegs or flights of stairs or whatever. I just pray that BC has something more interesting to do in its end game compared to current WoW's endgame.

Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 11-17-2006 10:47:27 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Mr. Parcelan said:
One. Pesco's dead.

Only until I find my corpse!

Maradon!
posted 11-17-2006 10:48:40 PM
quote:
x--WilliasO-('-'Q) :
Though WoW did knock it down a few pegs or flights of stairs or whatever. I just pray that BC has something more interesting to do in its end game compared to current WoW's endgame.

How much of WoW's current endgame have you actually taken part in?

Willias
Pancake
posted 11-17-2006 11:12:21 PM
Enough to say I don't like raiding as a shaman.
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 11-18-2006 02:32:14 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan posted

Asheron's Call was released within a year of EverQuest, and was never really heralded as an EQ killer, more of a competitor. It does have the dubious distinction of having outlived its own sequel, though.

Regarding EQ2...if I had the time to make an MMO worth it, I'd probably be playing it. Sadly, I don't.

Maradon!
posted 11-18-2006 04:42:41 AM
quote:
Williasing:
Enough to say I don't like raiding as a shaman.

So you're basically complaining that a game you haven't played isn't interesting.

Hint: If you don't like raiding, you may not like raiding.

Willias
Pancake
posted 11-18-2006 09:09:32 AM
quote:
So quoth Maradon!:
So you're basically complaining that a game you haven't played isn't interesting.

Hint: If you don't like raiding, you may not like raiding.

Oh hey, maybe that's why I don't find it interesting?

I'm confused here, are you trying to correct me on something? It's not like I'm saying WoW is a bad game, I'm just saying that I don't like WoW's current endgame. As a shaman anyway. Hopefully with BC we can be more hybrid-like and less Healing Wave bitch.

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 11-18-2006 09:17:52 AM
I know this is an EQ2 thread, and I just couldn't stay interested in it so there is my opinion....

However, I will vouche for the raiding as a Shaman thing. We've gone through it all except Naxx, where as a guild we are having fun, but I only play the Shaman if its really needed.

There are 2 reasons why I have a lock, a rogue and a hunter at 60...

1. I have no life but work and WoW
2. I hated my Shaman so much that it took 3 characters to get the funk of being a shaman out of my system

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 11-18-2006 10:22:31 AM
Chain Heals owns everything. Took me months to get my shaman to figure that one out, but now they too love the yellow healing laser

I find raidhealing as a shaman infinitely more interesting than as my priest. Plus no need to worry about buffing, hehe.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 11-18-2006 10:35:13 AM
quote:
Willias said this about your mom:
Hopefully with BC we can be more hybrid-like and less Healing Wave bitch.

Apparently, Enhancement spec shamans will be able to deal damage comparable to that of a Fury warrior. And they're still able to heal and buff people.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-18-2006 01:30:50 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael said:
The expansion is *very* nice. Good old Faydwer and lots of nostalgia.

I see SOE are still up to their old tricks, releasing old things and rebranding them as new.

Malbi
posted 11-18-2006 05:37:02 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about (_|_):
I see SOE are still up to their old tricks, releasing old things and rebranding them as new.

Considering people have been pestering them on the boards from well before the first expansion about bringing back Faydwer, I fail to see your point.

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-18-2006 11:32:32 PM
quote:
Malbi said:
I fail to see your point.

Hay guys lets leave this out and act like heroes when they all clamor for it and we put it back in, while doing zero real work to improve the core game.

You see my point now?

Willias
Pancake
posted 11-18-2006 11:40:49 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Mortious:
Hay guys lets leave this out and act like heroes when they all clamor for it and we put it back in, while doing zero real work to improve the core game.

You see my point now?

It's a sequel that is based on the original game, and at the same time, a reinvisioning of the original game.

man, we might just see content added that is from the original game at some point

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-18-2006 11:42:49 PM
quote:
Willias thought about the meaning of life:
It's a sequel that is based on the original game, and at the same time, a reinvisioning of the original game.

man, we might just see content added that is from the original game at some point

I have no faith in any sort of reference to visions in regards to EQ.

Willias
Pancake
posted 11-18-2006 11:43:22 PM
K.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-18-2006 11:45:46 PM
quote:
Verily, Willias doth proclaim:
K.

Frankly, I think that EQ's (and subsequently Vanguard's) entire theory of "ye must group tew succeed" is entirely flawed. The game cannot succeed without the solo game being the primary thought.

Right now, the closest WoW gets to that is requiring a healer for a group and I think even that is messed-up.

The best formula for an MMOG will occur when healing takes place via other means besides healers.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-18-2006 11:49:54 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan said:
The best formula for an MMOG will occur when healing takes place via other means besides healers.

NWN2 did this semi-correctly with the heal skill and healers kits that anyone can use, but must train the skill to be any good at it.

Bandages in EQ were just too crappy to be worth the effort.

Willias
Pancake
posted 11-18-2006 11:55:09 PM
Well, for EQ1... it's going on 8 years now, isn't it? I mean, while there's still notable subscribers playing it, I don't think it should be compared to more modern MMOs any more. Quite frankly, it has become a classic, not necessarily saying it's a good one, but it is a classic now, and should be compared to people playing games like Diablo 1. Even though it still has expansions coming out for it.

EQ2 on the other hand, only lacks a little bit behind WoW in terms of capability of soloing with all the game's classes. Some are very tough compared to others, but all classes can hit the 70 level cap without grouping once.

Anyway, I do agree that Vanguard is shooting itself in the foot by focusing too much on the grouping aspect of the game. MMOs have evolved into something more than "you must team up with many other players to get things done", and are now more about sharing a single game world with thousands of other players, rather than having to actually play with them.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 11-19-2006 08:14:47 AM
The crippling lack of soloability in any class I'm remotely interested in playing long-term in EQ2 means that when I do get the urge to play EQ2, I have a flock of friends and we all play at the same time.

In those instances, EQ2 is quite nice. There are a lot of things I like about it...but a few rather significant items that make the experience dissatisfying if I'm left to my own devices.

So I fool around in CoH/CoV a lot. To be blunt, I like the ability to fly. I like super-jumping. I like super-freaky run speed. I like being able to hit something and send it flying half a block while I move in to smash it's frickin' head in. Also: Legions of the undead are fun.

I picked up WoW what...like...a week or so ago. Just got my first character to 10 (I have like...five characters already). WoW has, at least at my level, the ability to solo. I have to think, I have to be careful (sort of like CoX), but it's doable. And I love visiting places I remember from WC3 (Tiragarde Keep, Echo Islands, etc). So it's nice.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Willias
Pancake
posted 11-19-2006 08:42:46 AM
There are classes that can't solo in EQ2? I thought that EQ2 was designed so that all classes could solo, just some not nearly as efficient as others.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 11-19-2006 10:34:00 AM
quote:
Willias had this to say about John Romero:
There are classes that can't solo in EQ2? I thought that EQ2 was designed so that all classes could solo, just some not nearly as efficient as others.

Yeah that was the deal when the game started. And on a technicality (that technicality being that you can solo so slowly that you might as well not bother) it's still true. But in reality, no. Some classes (Rangers, Conjurors, etc) can still do it marginally well, but not to the point where I'd say it compares to WoW.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 11-19-2006 11:05:32 AM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about dark elf butts:

You see my point now?

Echoes of Faydwer is like Kill Bill. It pays homage to the idea of Faydwer, maintains some lore that was started there, is nostalgic enough to make those of us who played EQ Live squeal with glee, but makes it very clear that this is 500 years later and things have changed quite a bit.

The zones are beautiful. Steamfont has this lovely water area with steam elementals that actually look like steam. Meldrath is running around as an iron lich, and kobolds got quite an upgrade. But it's still different.

The other zones are the same, except Loping Plains, which was a zone never in EQ Live.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-19-2006 11:31:43 AM
Alrighty then.

I still hate SOE for what they did to SWG though. My hate will never end. It must have nourishment.

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 11-19-2006 12:48:29 PM
Mortious *IS* the Dark Side
Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Mightion Defensor
posted 11-19-2006 03:26:31 PM
quote:
Mortious fell asleep and read just about every paragraph.
Alrighty then.

I still hate SOE for what they did to SWG though. My hate will never end. It must have nourishment.

Which time?

I miss SWG sometimes.

Skaw
posted 11-19-2006 03:48:54 PM
I don't see why people want to focus on solo play in an MMO in the first place. Hay gaiz lets pay $50-$60(+$20-30/expansion) +$10-15/mo to play a single player game! I mean, being able to solo is a good thing, but it should not be able to compare to what you can do in a party. Example, in FFXI, I can solo 3k exp/hr(3/10ths of a Merit Point.) If I partied, I can usually pull 15k avg., 20k tops.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 11-19-2006 at 03:50 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: