EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Got Vista Ultimate
Maradon!
posted 11-15-2006 04:01:06 PM
It's pretty sweet so far. Performance is not as bad as I thought it'd be, but I'll be sticking to XP primarily until I upgrade.

The only thing I really don't like so far is that there's a "Are you sure you want to do this?" confirmation box for fucking EVERYTHING.

Sometimes more than one.

I fucking love the sidebar though. I was looking for a little calendar app like that.

Maradon!
posted 11-15-2006 04:02:37 PM
I spent 15 minutes minimizing and maximizing this window and going "WHOOOOOAAAH!!" like I was flying through a tunnel at extremely high speeds.

I think I will do so again.

WHOOOOOOOOAAH!!

Damnati
Filthy
posted 11-15-2006 04:15:21 PM
Is this a beta? Or has Vista been released? I'm not really up on anything current at all.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Maradon!
posted 11-15-2006 04:23:09 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Damnati booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Is this a beta? Or has Vista been released? I'm not really up on anything current at all.

This is the release candidate I am using.

Pretty sure the full release isn't far off, though, and when it comes out Intel is also going to ship me a release copy free. Cos they're swell guys.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-15-2006 04:23:39 PM
So when are games going to come out that will be Vista-only?
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 11-15-2006 04:24:47 PM
quote:
x--KarnajO-('-'Q) :

Any game that requires DirectX 10 will essentially be vista-only, since DX10 will be vista-only.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-15-2006 05:43:36 PM
Vista has been "Released to Manufacturing".

Supposadly there will be copies available on the shelf at BestBuy sometime in Mid-Jan.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 11-15-2006 05:52:51 PM
I'm waiting for microsoft to put it on the MSDN downloads site so I can get my grubby little fingers on it.
Maradon!
posted 11-15-2006 06:00:24 PM
quote:
Blindy.ing:
grubby little fingers on it.

The term is "get my grabby hands on it", immortalized by Bane circa 2001

I also have a Core 2 Duo E6300 and motherboard that I can't use, because I don't have ram or a video card for it.

Talk about needing to get my grabby hands on stuff.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 11-15-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 11-15-2006 06:28:33 PM
quote:
Maradon!'s complete misunderstanding of life manifested itself when they said:
The term is "get my grabby hands on it", immortalized by Bane circa 2001

I also have a Core 2 Duo E6300 and motherboard that I can't use, because I don't have ram or a video card for it.

Talk about needing to get my grabby hands on stuff.

I think I'll take my advice on speaking from people that are not Bane, thanks.

Dave
)_(
posted 11-15-2006 08:32:47 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Karnaj stammered:

Halo 2 for the PC is going to be Vista only but I don't know when it is due out.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-15-2006 10:54:56 PM
quote:
Dave had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Halo 2 for the PC is going to be Vista only but I don't know when it is due out.

Man, getting to play a second rate FPS sure is a selling point!

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 11-16-2006 12:35:08 AM
Microsoft rep says that I should have Things I will loose my job for saying here

And Toshiba and HP say Free Vista for anyone that buys a desktop or laptop before they put vista on retail models

Y.O.T.C fucked around with this message on 11-16-2006 at 12:36 AM.

Maradon!
posted 11-16-2006 12:46:37 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Y.O.T.C booooze lime pole over bench lick:
And Toshiba and HP say Free Vista for anyone that buys a desktop or laptop before they put vista on retail models

Actually, that's a very, very limited offer. I'm pretty sure it doesn't start until a couple weeks before official release.

CBTao
Pancake
posted 11-16-2006 02:10:21 AM
quote:
Maradon! thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Actually, that's a very, very limited offer. I'm pretty sure it doesn't start until a couple weeks before official release.

actually, every "Vista Capable" unit we're selling at Best Buy comes with a rebate for a Vista upgrade they can mail in on release.

Maradon!
posted 11-16-2006 02:11:50 AM
quote:
CBTaoing:
actually, every "Vista Capable" unit we're selling at Best Buy comes with a rebate for a Vista upgrade they can mail in on release.

Is that a best buy thing or a microsoft thing?

Because the microsoft thing I saw was limited to units purchased like a week before release.

CBTao
Pancake
posted 11-16-2006 02:18:46 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about pies:
Is that a best buy thing or a microsoft thing?

Because the microsoft thing I saw was limited to units purchased like a week before release.

The rebate I believe is from the pc vendors, HP Toshiba Sony etc.

Maradon!
posted 11-16-2006 02:31:24 AM
Ah, ok, what I saw was an offer from microsoft where people who got any copy of XP, on a new machine or in a retail box, could get a copy of vista if it was purchased within one week of release.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 11-16-2006 07:13:54 AM
What exactly constitutes "Vista Ready" anyway?
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-16-2006 10:28:09 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael said:
What exactly constitutes "Vista Ready" anyway?

A "big honkin box"...it meets or exceeds the "recommended minimums" for certain flavors of Vista (the 'expected' version(s) of Vista that MS thinks would be purchased by the owner of said system)

And I thought Ultimate was supposed to require a special hard drive... can't remember the name, but it's basically got an ATA Flash drive piggy-back on it to give it an absurdly large cache space. Was that not a requirement of the RC or what?

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Maradon!
posted 11-16-2006 11:25:09 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Random Insanity Generator who doth quote:
And I thought Ultimate was supposed to require a special hard drive... can't remember the name, but it's basically got an ATA Flash drive piggy-back on it to give it an absurdly large cache space. Was that not a requirement of the RC or what?

I've heard no such requirement thusfar.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-16-2006 02:56:25 PM
If you've read anything about the requirements for Vista and it wasn't on Microsoft.com, then you probably read at least one item that was incorrect, made up, or exaggerated. There's a whole lot of bullshit surrounding Vista's requirements.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-16-2006 03:49:13 PM
Hey Maradon, is it possible for you to post/send me a copy of the Vista EULA?
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 11-16-2006 04:11:13 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Karnaj booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Hey Maradon, is it possible for you to post/send me a copy of the Vista EULA?

I can when the actual copy of vista comes in. The EULA with the release candidate contains crap on feedback and NDA and stuff, and won't be the final EULA.

I'm sure it's going to let MS force you to buy their products, garnish 40% of your wages, and impregnate your daughter, though.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-16-2006 04:15:06 PM
Not my daughter, she's all I have!

Nah, I've been reading lots of interesting stuff about this EULA, so I figure I actually want to read this one before I consider upgrading. I have a long train ride to kill every day, anyway.

Beer.

Alaan
posted 11-17-2006 03:42:06 PM
So how is the install size on it? I'm expecting ultimate to be a 400 pound gorilla.
Maradon!
posted 11-17-2006 04:02:16 PM
quote:
x--AlaanO-('-'Q) :
So how is the install size on it? I'm expecting ultimate to be a 400 pound gorilla.

Well, let's see: On it's otherwise totally empty hard drive, the full Vista Ultimate install plus all the updates through the 15th, plus all the drivers I needed, amounts to 8.41Gb

About 1Gb of that is a huge install cab, though, and I'm pretty sure you don't need that but I dunno.

Alaan
posted 11-17-2006 04:07:43 PM
So how big a ram eater is it, CPU cycles used idling, all that fun stuff?
Maradon!
posted 11-17-2006 04:28:13 PM
quote:
x--AlaanO-('-'Q) :
So how big a ram eater is it, CPU cycles used idling, all that fun stuff?

Handily, the sidebar comes standard with a system resources gadget that tells you just that.

RAM use is higher than XP, but there are reports of tons of memory leaks in various parts of RC1. All in all, about 40% of 1Gb versus about 25-30% under XP. Vista is, reportedly, supposed to use a whopping 800Mb of memory while idle, so either I have something unloaded that should normally be loaded, or these reports are exaggerated.

CPU use while idle is between 0% and 4%, and I'm running a shitty Athlon XP 2000+

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 11-17-2006 at 04:29 PM.

Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 11-17-2006 11:00:59 PM
It appears it finally got added to MSDN yesterday. One of the guys here is running RC1 right now and it seems to do mostly well but I'm gonna be dropping it on my laptop. I'm curious to see what the power consumption will be on it. It is an Inspiron so it already doesn't have the greatest battery life.
Maradon!
posted 11-17-2006 11:05:55 PM
Apparently Aero Glass accounts for the discrepancy. I turned it off almost immediately, it hurt my eyes.

That's... a lot of ram for an entirely aesthetic UI element to consume O_o

Pesco
posted 11-17-2006 11:18:05 PM
Just wait until people start building UIs on the new Presentation Foundation. Pure machine ownage.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-17-2006 11:52:27 PM
So why exactly should I buy Vista? What features, other then DX10, make it an upgrade?

Naimah fucked around with this message on 11-17-2006 at 11:52 PM.

Maradon!
posted 11-18-2006 01:53:03 AM
quote:
x--NaimahO-('-'Q) :
So why exactly should I buy Vista? What features, other then DX10, make it an upgrade?

I'd say you shouldn't.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-18-2006 02:04:41 AM
Good deal.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-18-2006 03:16:22 AM
If Drysart shows up out of nowhere he will have a laundry list of reasons for you to switch that have nothing to do with DX10 or Aero Glass. He's posted them on SA before.

Nvidia and their awful drivers ruined my Vista experience, though. WoW runs at terrible framerates compared to the exact same machine running XP SP2.

Pesco
posted 11-18-2006 03:51:45 AM
Maradon!
posted 11-18-2006 04:30:25 AM
quote:
Pescoing:
How to turn off Elevation Approval Popups

Ah, that's handy.

I was worried that those were going to be an ongoing problem...

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 11-18-2006 at 04:30 AM.

Cadga 2.0
Pancake
posted 11-20-2006 08:20:50 AM
Someone told me Vista was an OS, coulda fooled me I thought it was just a jacked up XP theme! GO FIGURE!
Professional Heretic/Sinner/Linux User
"Every Breath leaves me one less to my last"
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 11-20-2006 06:55:22 PM
Least your computer will recognize the insane amount of RAM you'll need to..um..run Vista, it would seem.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: