EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I want this guy's reading list
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 11-07-2006 09:32:43 AM
It's a long read so I'm not going to re-post here. But feel free to quote at will.

Basically, I'm embarrassed that this guy can clearly articulate what the Mainstream Media fails to do. I finally know who the Suunis and the Shiites are and who is backing whom and what they are trying to do, why we don't invade Iran, and what history teaches us about where we failed in Vietnam. And this could have been said without arguing for who we should support (or rather not support) in today's election.

So what do you suppose the author reads? The only source he cites is Commentary magazine

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 11-07-2006 11:52:07 AM
No idea what he reads, but he does make a lot of sense. Then again, the democrats are scaring the shit out of me too, lately.
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 11-07-2006 12:56:20 PM
Orson Scott Card? The famous sci-fi author? Interesting what he says in that article and about his party. Heard only good things about him.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 11-07-2006 at 12:57 PM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 11-07-2006 02:24:59 PM
I don't know of any other Orson Scott Cards.

This is the first article I have ever read that made me feel like bush was doing the right thing, without being some slanted political piece.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 11-07-2006 02:35:20 PM
Then how fitting is it, that the piece was written by a fantasy writer?
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-07-2006 02:50:07 PM
quote:
Quoth Blindy.:
Then how fitting is it, that the piece was written by a fantasy writer?

That's just stupid.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-07-2006 02:53:12 PM
Reading that, I thought the same thing over and over: where are his sources?

No, seriously, where are they? There's one fleeting reference to a magazine, but where all the indirect references to experts in this particular field? You know, "So-and-so said X, so Y." Does he claim to be himself a qualified expert? If so, what are his qualifications, and why does he not point them out?

Sorry, he makes too many assumptions that aren't obviously true. If there was a bibliography attached to this, I'd take it much more seriously.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 11-07-2006 02:58:57 PM
That's exactly how I feel, Karnaj. I've read enough research papers (mainly from one author) to feel like I'm missing a bibliography or at least some form of citations.
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-07-2006 03:10:14 PM
quote:
Karnaj startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
Reading that, I thought the same thing over and over: where are his sources?

No, seriously, where are they? There's one fleeting reference to a magazine, but where all the indirect references to experts in this particular field? You know, "So-and-so said X, so Y." Does he claim to be himself a qualified expert? If so, what are his qualifications, and why does he not point them out?

Sorry, he makes too many assumptions that aren't obviously true. If there was a bibliography attached to this, I'd take it much more seriously.

Since when do opinion pieces need a bibliography? Seems like a pretty shallow reason to discard an argument. . .and when was the last time you saw anything like this cite sources like it was a college paper? It's simply not traditional in the genre unless, like he did, he is citing something specific.

The thing is, can you disagree with the logic or disprove the assertions? Last I checked, that's how one conducts debate. "Oho! Not only are you a science fiction writer, but you haven't quoted any sources--therefore you are not to be believed and I have no obligation to examine the merits of your argument!" simply isn't logical.

Find fault with the arguments--it's a subject on which reasonable people can disagree--all you want, but let's at least attempt to stay logical ourselves.

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 11-07-2006 at 03:10 PM.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 11-07-2006 03:17:19 PM
quote:
So if we get one of the leading Democrats as our new President in 2009, we'll be on the road to pusillanimous withdrawal and the resulting chaos in the world.

This is exactly what I would expect from a writer. The article oversimplifies damn near everything...

- Iran will fix itself somehow
- We dont have to worry about North Korea
- This war is as simple as win/lose

Not to mention "the world is doomed you don't elect X party into power!" is a tired and boring read.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-07-2006 03:25:36 PM
quote:
Reynar startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
This is exactly what I would expect from a writer. The article oversimplifies damn near everything...

- Iran will fix itself somehow
- We dont have to worry about North Korea
- This war is as simple as win/lose

Not to mention "the world is doomed you don't elect X party into power!" is a tired and boring read.

You didn't read very closely, if that's all you got out of it.

This reminds me of the legal saying that if you haven't got the evidence on your side, argue the law instead; instead of actually examining arguments, everyone's looking for tangents to attack. He's a writer! He didn't cite sources! He didn't give a detailed account of how the future will come to be, with names and dates! Ono!

Jeebus, people, learn to think. It's a tightly-woven argument, but there are several points one could argue. If one has the balls to stay on subject instead of slinging emotional drivel as if it had logical meaning.

Cadga 2.0
Pancake
posted 11-07-2006 03:44:15 PM
TR R
But i bet we can solve all the world problems by dropping large bombs on them. It sure straightened Japan out.

Reasoning? We are the greatest COuntry. That is all.

Professional Heretic/Sinner/Linux User
"Every Breath leaves me one less to my last"
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 11-07-2006 05:31:02 PM
That reminds me, I still need to finish reading Shadow of the Giant..
"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-07-2006 07:24:49 PM
Bloodsage, there's the rub. His argument is cursorily consistent, given its premises and certain leaps in reasoning he makes. It is those assumptions which are suspect, and as we well know, arguing from false premises just fucks everything up. Now, these leap, while not plainly false, are not obviously true. We can't accept them without examining their veracity beforehand. And why should we do the gruntwork? He's the one putting forth the argument; he must show us that he is correct in making these assumptions. So why not cite sources? Why not cite experts whose study has already demonstrated their correctness?

What's suspect, you say? Well, straight off the top of my dome...

quote:
If control of the House passes into Democratic hands, there are enough withdraw-on-a-timetable Democrats in positions of prominence that it will not only seem to be a victory for our enemies, it will be one.

Are there? How many is that? Also, can we assume that the Democrats will be as lock-step with their policy as the Republicans have been? What if they don't control the Senate, too? Is there historical precedent for such a thing, wherein the political climate and makeup was satisfactorily similar to our own present one? There needs to be more here, plain and simple. We can't accept that the only possible outcome of Democrats winning is horrendous defeat. We could accept strong probabilities, given supporting evidence. We have neither.

quote:
Another charge against the Bush administration's conduct of the war is that they are engaged in the hopeless task of "nation-building." And this is true -- except for the word "hopeless."

But what is the alternative? I've heard several, each more disastrous and impossible and even shameful than the one before.

Why do we accept that there is no alternative? What are these disastrous alternatives? Again, it rests on his authority alone to be an expert judge of the situation, because he cites no examples.

Other questionable areas are in his reasoning, such as this:

quote:
No matter which miserable dictatorship we moved against after the Taliban -- and we had no choice but to keep moving on if we were to eradicate the grave danger we faced (and face) -- we would have faced the same problem in Syria or Iraq or Sudan that we had in Afghanistan: We had to establish order in a nation that had never actually become a nation.

In all fairness, this one isn't too bad, but it's cut short. If we had to move on, why did we move on before we finished the job in Afghanistan? If we had to do these things, does it not follow that we must do them correctly, or we have failed?

Now, this is real telling:

quote:
The boundaries on the ground in the Middle East were not formed in the traditional way -- by compromise or war. Instead, European powers drew lines that pleased their fancy. The lines did not create the hatreds that plague the region, but they guaranteed that traditional enemies would have to face each other within these boundaries.

And here he describes the very thing that makes our nation building in the ME exceedingly difficult: we're trying to get ancient tribal enemies to form a modern, stable, secular democracy.

It hearkens back to that article I posted last week about why Arabs lose wars; when faced from threats from without, they don't unify across tribes, and within their own army, there is a massive failure t'communicate between officer and soldier.

In fact, this exposes yet another flaw in the overall piece; his pseudo-apocalyptic vision of the entire Muslim world uniting against us. That will never happen, for the reason that religion is strong, but blood is stronger. Tribalism is, to this day, and again, as was mentioned in the article I posted previously, incredibly important to Arab culture. This inertia is huge, and despite what we think, such things are not easily changed. And yet, he sees fit to make no mention of what influence culture will have on regional politics, only that the Islamic puritanism must override it. How can we ignore such things if they predate Islam and their influence is still felt today, as evidenced by the sectarian violence in Iraq? And yet, he dismisses it as mere flavoring to the various types of Islamic governments which will arise and unite against us.

Point being, then, that he fails to take into account all that's going on over there, thus the conclusions reached are unlikely to be correct. It's not impossible, certainly, but it is unlikely.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Azakias
posted 11-08-2006 12:22:08 PM
Haha. This was on Rush Limbaugh's show yesterday afternoon.
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-08-2006 12:34:23 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Azakias wrote:

Omg Rush Limbaugh is fat and stupid!

[small]I need to subscribe to his websight so I can get his podcasts, never have time to listen to him during the day.[/small

Mod
Pancake
posted 11-09-2006 05:28:14 AM
quote:
Tarquinn attempted to be funny by writing:
Orson Scott Card? The famous sci-fi author? Interesting what he says in that article and about his party. Heard only good things about him.

I'll get back to the article when I have some more time, but you really need to hear something bad about Orson Scott Card in general.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~tenshi/Killer_000.htm

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-09-2006 10:19:29 AM
quote:
Azakias stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:

Just please assure me that you don't listen to Sean Hannity

Rush is acceptable if you agree with his politics, but Sean is a douche

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-09-2006 10:35:09 AM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabbits doth run and play while Mod gently hums:
I'll get back to the article when I have some more time, but you really need to hear something bad about Orson Scott Card in general.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~tenshi/Killer_000.htm

That's not something bad about Card--whatever gave you that idea? It's not even that well argued in philosophical/moral terms.

Azakias
posted 11-09-2006 11:16:15 AM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about Duck Tales:

The only time I listen to Hannity (or Savage, for that matter) is when I need a good laugh.

I listen to Rush, but disagree with a lot of his shit. But he makes more sense than Hannity.

My favorite to listen to is Neal Bortz. He's damn funny.

Maradon!
posted 11-09-2006 12:35:10 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Kegwen booooze lime pole over bench lick:

Have you ever listened to Hannity?

I listen to around 6 shows with quasi-regularity, 3 being strictly conservative, and Hannity is one of the most reasonable, moderate, and polite personalities out of all of them.

What exactly did he say that pissed you off so bad?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-09-2006 01:30:35 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Optimus Prime:

I listen to around 6 shows with quasi-regularity, 3 being strictly conservative, and Hannity is one of the most reasonable, moderate, and polite personalities out of all of them.

I listened to him and Rush for over a year, actually.

Anyone who rides the family values/protect the children political train is going to get under my skin pretty quickly, though, so perhaps that was all there was to it.

I can't think of any one memorable thing he's said that pissed me off. However, there are some political viewpoints and attitudes that will make me dislike someone as a person if they're the only thing I know about them. Guess that's not a good way to do things, but that's how it seems to be for me!

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 11-09-2006 at 01:33 PM.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-09-2006 01:39:09 PM
Shawns constant 'You're a great American because you listen to my show' pisses me off to no end. I'm all for patriotism but Hannity takes it a little bit too far.
Maradon!
posted 11-09-2006 01:49:23 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Naimah booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Shawns constant 'You're a great American because you listen to my show' pisses me off to no end. I'm all for patriotism but Hannity takes it a little bit too far.

That's a little tongue-in-cheek actually, sorta like how Rush is always putting on the show of being a total pompous ass. He only does it to annoy people.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-09-2006 01:59:41 PM
Yea, but Rush makes me laugh... Hannity makes me want to stab him.
Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 11-10-2006 06:29:24 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Knight Rider:

Hannity is the most moderate?

Have you ever considered taking in a wider, more reasonable variety of material? Just because someone is a moderate or a liberal doesn't mean they're wrong. I mean, you say you can accept any rational argument, but you don't even attempt to understand opposing viewpoints, which makes you look like a radical.

It's kind of like saying that one goes to Free Republic to debate.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: