EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Avatars for Maradon
Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-24-2006 07:35:24 PM
I do not like Maradon's current sigpic, so please post avatars for him here (also be sure to post them in avatar size so everyone can use them and we will all be happy together.)

Look at this silly piglet!

Anyways, please provide Avatars for everyone to use because it will make most of us happy.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-24-2006 07:39:59 PM
Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-24-2006 07:41:50 PM
This is one ugly frog.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-24-2006 07:57:23 PM
Ugly or not, frogs make excellent love objects. Trouble is you can only use them once.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 10-24-2006 08:21:10 PM

Bummey the Fool fucked around with this message on 10-24-2006 at 08:21 PM.

Maradon!
posted 10-24-2006 08:22:08 PM
I strongly disagree with all of these.
Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 10-24-2006 08:24:05 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about John Romero:
I strongly disagree with all of these.

Even Fatty Ding Dong?

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-25-2006 11:27:43 AM
Is this like Flowers for Algernon? I mean, the parallels are truly striking.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 10-25-2006 11:46:36 AM
I am the man they call Jayne.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 10-25-2006 01:46:04 PM
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 10-25-2006 02:02:01 PM
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-25-2006 02:58:11 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Karnaj absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
Is this like Flowers for Algernon? I mean, the parallels are truly striking.

Best. Story. Ever.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-25-2006 03:03:19 PM
Bah, Asimov's Foundation/Empire/Robot series is the best story ever. If I wanted to read a diary written by a retard about a mouse, I'd read my own.

Beer.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-25-2006 03:06:03 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Karnaj squealed:
Bah, Asimov's Foundation/Empire/Robot series is the best story ever. If I wanted to read a diary written by a retard about a mouse, I'd read my own.

I'll give you the original Foundation Trilogy. . .but not any of the communist propaganda that followed. That, and his short story about the beginning of the universe, whose name I forget at the moment. Edit: "The Last Question."

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 10-25-2006 at 03:07 PM.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 10-25-2006 03:12:57 PM
quote:
Monica had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I am the man they call Jayne.

xD

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-25-2006 08:12:51 PM
quote:
Bloodsage screamed this from the crapper:
I'll give you the original Foundation Trilogy. . .but not any of the communist propaganda that followed. That, and his short story about the beginning of the universe, whose name I forget at the moment. Edit: "The Last Question."

What's so communist about it? The concept of Galaxia?

Beer.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-26-2006 01:51:08 PM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabbits doth run and play while Karnaj gently hums:
What's so communist about it? The concept of Galaxia?

The whole bit about becoming one with the hive mind or whatever, and sacrificing individuality for the greater good. Don't know where the story went after that, since I dropped it like a hot potato after book four.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-26-2006 02:22:51 PM
quote:
And now, we sprinkle Bloodsage liberally with Old Spice!
The whole bit about becoming one with the hive mind or whatever, and sacrificing individuality for the greater good. Don't know where the story went after that, since I dropped it like a hot potato after book four.

Well then, that explains that. You really should read Foundation & Earth, though, because it handily and very coolly explains exactly why Galaxia the best choice, and why psychohistory is hopelessly flawed.

Beer.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-26-2006 04:07:21 PM
quote:
Karnaj startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
Well then, that explains that. You really should read Foundation & Earth, though, because it handily and very coolly explains exactly why Galaxia the best choice, and why psychohistory is hopelessly flawed.

Were these later stories even written by Asimov? I thought they were from his notes, but actually written by someone else. . . ?

Anyway, I'm not sure I could hang with a story whose goal is to justify a hive mind concept as somehow good.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-26-2006 04:35:53 PM
quote:
Bloodsage still thinks SARS jokes are topical, as evidenced by:
Were these later stories even written by Asimov? I thought they were from his notes, but actually written by someone else. . . ?

Anyway, I'm not sure I could hang with a story whose goal is to justify a hive mind concept as somehow good.

Asimov wrote Foundation & Earth, Prelude to Foundation, and Forward the Foundation. The were three additional novels written by others, the so-called Second Foundation trilogy: Foundation's Fear, Foundation and Chaos, and Foundation's Triumph. They were written with the blessing of the Asimov estate, I believe.

And Galaxia is not so much a good thing, as it is the only possible way humanity is going to survive, given state of affairs in the Foundationverse. Because, again, psychohistory is discovered to have a flaw which will result in humanity's destruction. In fact, the main character clearly despises the concept of Galaxia, but since he's an Asimovian protagonist, he's nothing if not rational, so he accepts it.

As a plus, if you've read the Robot series, you won't be disappointed with F&E, I can pretty much guarantee that.

Beer.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 10-26-2006 04:41:35 PM
It's been far too long since I've read the foundation novels. Can you refresh my memory as to the flaw in psychohistory?
Nina
posted 10-26-2006 05:29:12 PM
It's only accurate on large population numbers. Therefore, a stasticial anomaly such as a mutant like the Mule, can throw off the whole calculations and spell much trouble.

Nina fucked around with this message on 10-26-2006 at 05:29 PM.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-26-2006 10:02:42 PM
quote:
Nina got served! Nina got served!
It's only accurate on large population numbers. Therefore, a stasticial anomaly such as a mutant like the Mule, can throw off the whole calculations and spell much trouble.

Actually, that's one of the known assumptions of psychohistory. The fatal flaw is in its unknown assumption, which is so basic yet necessary, that Hari Seldon never considered it. That is: Humanity must be the only form of intelligence in the universe for psychohistory to work. It cannot handle alien intelligences mucking shit up. Even if the second galactic empire rises, it will be fractious by its nature, and an unaccounted alien intelligence will be able to divide and conquer it, making the Seldon Plan worthless. Galaxia accounts for this by turning every single lifeform and planet in the galaxy into a unified front. When Galaxia is achieved, then, and only then, will humanity be able to bring absolutely everything it has to bear against the only true external threat: sentient alien life.

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 10-26-2006 11:32:15 PM
quote:
x--KarnajO-('-'Q) :
Actually, that's one of the known assumptions of psychohistory. The fatal flaw is in its unknown assumption, which is so basic yet necessary, that Hari Seldon never considered it. That is: Humanity must be the only form of intelligence in the universe for psychohistory to work. It cannot handle alien intelligences mucking shit up. Even if the second galactic empire rises, it will be fractious by its nature, and an unaccounted alien intelligence will be able to divide and conquer it, making the Seldon Plan worthless. Galaxia accounts for this by turning every single lifeform and planet in the galaxy into a unified front. When Galaxia is achieved, then, and only then, will humanity be able to bring absolutely everything it has to bear against the only true external threat: sentient alien life.

Wait a sec, I'm not sure I get that. Granted, I've never read the book, but with no individuality there would be absolutely no diversity, and with no diversity there would be no change in anything, ever. All of existence would be a ceaseless, inescapable and eternal monotony. To me that's at least tantamount to obliteration, if not vastly more horrible.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 10-27-2006 03:13:06 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Wait a sec, I'm not sure I get that. Granted, I've never read the book, but with no individuality there would be absolutely no diversity, and with no diversity there would be no change in anything, ever. All of existence would be a ceaseless, inescapable and eternal monotony. To me that's at least tantamount to obliteration, if not vastly more horrible.

To you the individual. Looking at it from the 'existance of the species' it would be an efficient method. Remove individuality and remove the basis for a large number of 'self-destructive conflict' (religious wars, racial wars, the need to dominate 'the inferior', etc)

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Maradon!
posted 10-27-2006 03:30:51 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Random Insanity Generator who doth quote:
To you the individual. Looking at it from the 'existance of the species' it would be an efficient method. Remove individuality and remove the basis for a large number of 'self-destructive conflict' (religious wars, racial wars, the need to dominate 'the inferior', etc)

You're missing the fact that it would mean utter and inescapable stagnation.

You'd be a single entity, utterly alone in an empty universe with only burning balls of gas for company.

For all eternity.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 10-27-2006 03:51:32 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Knight Rider:
You're missing the fact that it would mean utter and inescapable stagnation.

You'd be a single entity, utterly alone in an empty universe with only burning balls of gas for company.

For all eternity.

But you wouldn't care.

-H

Maradon!
posted 10-27-2006 04:17:56 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Hellbender booooze lime pole over bench lick:
But you wouldn't care.

Why not?

When has the sum total of human knowledge ever been enough to satisfy humans?

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 10-27-2006 04:52:55 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Tron:
Why not?

When has the sum total of human knowledge ever been enough to satisfy humans?

I haven't read the thing, but I'm guessing the whole point would be that we change into something "greater" into what we currently are. The thought process being that our strong sense of individualism is what limits us from achieving more. Man's greatest threat is man itself and all that. So, all of mankind must devote itself to nothing else but the advancement of mankind.

I'm not sure I buy into that thought process, myself. Or, at least, if diversity is what limits us from conquering the galaxy, I'm OK with being limited.

-H

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 10-27-2006 08:02:48 AM
WE ARE THE BORG
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-27-2006 08:37:17 AM
Stagnation would ultimately be harmful to humanity. The person responsible for creating Galaxia cannot create anything that is harmful to humanity. And I don't mean that in a "Road to Hell is paved with good intentions" kind of way, I mean that he is incapable of doing anything which is ultimately harmful to humanity. Galaxia, by definition, cannot stagnate. What mechanisms are in place to counter this stagnation, I don't remember. They must, though, as a consequence of Galaxia's creator, exist.

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 10-27-2006 11:37:58 AM
The idea is saved by Deus Ex Machina then?
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 10-27-2006 12:16:27 PM
quote:
When they turned on the Infinite Improbability Drive, Maradon! stammered,
The idea is saved by Deus Ex Machina then?
It sounds kind of like that, though it might work if they meet a few critical conditions, the most critical of which being motivation. Conditions that motivate an individual will not affect a collective, so the collective needs a new source of motivation.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Maradon!
posted 10-27-2006 12:26:50 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq `Doc booooze lime pole over bench lick:
It sounds kind of like that, though it might work if they meet a few critical conditions, the most critical of which being motivation. Conditions that motivate an individual will not affect a collective, so the collective needs a new source of motivation.

Motivate it to do what though? What exactly would a single entity floating in the vastness of space for all eternity have to do with it's time?

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 10-27-2006 01:39:30 PM
quote:
Ninety-nine bottles of Maradon! on the wall, ninety-nine bottles of Maradon!...
Motivate it to do what though? What exactly would a single entity floating in the vastness of space for all eternity have to do with it's time?
Seek knowledge, power, and/or the improvement of its overall comfort level.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-27-2006 02:13:38 PM
quote:
Aw, geez, I have Maradon! all over myself!

The most pressing need is the motivation to defend itself against that which the Seldon Plan did not account for: extragalactic alien threat. In the Foundationverse, FTL travel is, more or less, instantaneous, so once you clear a large gravity field, you can zip to any place in the universe you want to go. Belligerent aliens could, suddenly and without provocation, plant ships at each of the 25 million inhabited systems and blow the planets away without too much of a huff. Galaxia, in addition to unifying all humans, brings the mentalic powers of every life form to bear against its targets in full strength. What this means, without getting too detailed, is that the instant an alien shows up, it will not only be detected as being "outside" of Galaxia, it will be easily neutralized and destroyed, if necessary. The other alternative, the Second Galactic Empire, could never hope to achieve that.

Asimov loved to write about paternalism; the idea of Galaxia, for reasons I cannot divulge without ruining one of the greatest "Holy Shit!" moments in all of sci-fi, is the greatest expression of this theme.

Beer.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: