EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Installed new Mobo, vidcard and CPU, computer does not boot up
Aaron (the good one)
posted 10-19-2006 07:26:39 PM
I was slavering away at installing my new motherboard, vid card, and CPU today. This is the first time I've done something like this. I believe I hooked up everything appropriately but now instead of power, when I turn the switch on the back of computer on, the front "Your computer is on" light is now red and under "H.D.D" with a cylinder as the icon next to it. This is physically on my case. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

I am going to sleep now and I probably won't be seeing this thread until about 16 hours from now.

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-19-2006 07:48:16 PM
Probably just connected the case wires to the incorrect pins, or one of them slipped off. If it's one of those cases with infuriating single pins instead of helpful blocks then they slip off quite easily.
Ryuujin
posted 10-19-2006 08:50:53 PM
Pretty much sounds like Mort said. Probably have some pins on the wrong prongs. Double-check the manual and make sure you have them on the right jumpers.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 10-19-2006 09:20:43 PM
quote:
Ninety-nine bottles of Mortious on the wall, ninety-nine bottles of Mortious...
Probably just connected the case wires to the incorrect pins, or one of them slipped off. If it's one of those cases with infuriating single pins instead of helpful blocks then they slip off quite easily.
This is the most likely cause of the problem.

The second most likely cause is that you didn't install any RAM. While odds are you did install RAM, you don't actually mention having installed RAM.

It is possible that either the motherboard or video card is bad. If the power supply was bad, you would probably not have any lights lit. A short circuit would also cause the lights to die out, though they might flicker when you press the power button.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 10-19-2006 10:00:59 PM
Some of your drool might have gotten into the power supply. That could cause problems.
"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 10-19-2006 10:38:19 PM
As others have said, you probably messed up the pinout somehow. The other possibility is that you didn't install the RAM properly. Go through and reseat the RAM. If that doesn't do it, report back and I'll make a more lengthly post.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Ryuujin
posted 10-20-2006 12:39:03 AM
We just keep repeating each other.
BetaTested
posted 10-20-2006 12:40:35 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Ryuujin was all like:
We just keep repeating each other.

You just keep repeating what I keep repeating.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Aaron (the good one)
posted 10-20-2006 12:05:09 PM
Well, I randomly put the wires into the pins that I thought were needed to be connected. Now my computer doesn't have any lights come on. I know there is power because my network cable is green in the back of the computer.

Here is what I have

On the mother board is as followed

code:

SLP SLP SPACE PWR_LED+ PWR_LED+ PWR_LED- ONOFF ONOFF SPACE SPACE IR IR
SPACE SPK SPK SPK HLED+ HLED- RST RST SPACE IR IR IR

The bolded spaces are actually holes with no pin in them, the others are actual spaces.

The colour wires I have are White/Green, White/Yellow, White/Red, and White/Blue.

Which wires do I put in what slots?

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 10-20-2006 12:15:29 PM
On many cases, the black heads at the ends of the wire combos are labeled. If yours aren't, you may need to trace the power wire back to its source. The only one you need plugged in is the one leading to the power button. It should go to the two spots marked "on/off" on the motherboard.

HLED is the hard-drive running light. PWR_LED is the powered-on light. If you can figure out which is which, they're good to have, but not needed. SPK is the PC speaker, which you probably don't use, and might not have.

It's possible that your case has an online manual indicating which wire colors are for which device. To my knowledge there is no standard color scheme.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 10-20-2006 at 12:25 PM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 10-20-2006 02:02:25 PM
OK it still is not powering up even though I put the pins in correctly and tightly. The reset and the HDD LED are in the correct pins and I had a PWR SW and a pair of cables that were blank. I tried both times in the ON/OFF pins and the POWER pins and neither time did the computer start up.

I know there is power going from the power supply to the motherboard because the network cable is blinking green when I hit the power switch in the back.

What could be making the CPU, Harddrive, Fan, and keyboard not power on when I hit that button? Is there a possibility assuming the pins are in correctly or does it have to be the pins? All the cables are good because I was using my computer before shutting it down and putting in my new items.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 10-20-2006 02:04:44 PM
Also there is no customer service number for the motherboard (biostar) unless I want to pay long distance charges to Taiwan.

There phone number is 886-2-2218-0150. You can only fax them in the USA.

Maradon!
posted 10-20-2006 02:23:36 PM
Does the motherboard have a 4-pin power connector, and if so are you sure you're connecting that?

Does the video card have a 6-pin or standard molex power connector, and if so are you connecting that?

Is the little red switch on the power supply set to 115 and not 220? (it should be set to 115)

What's the wattage of the power supply and how many devices do you have connected?

Does the computer give POST beeps at any point? BEEP BEEP?

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 10-20-2006 at 02:26 PM.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 10-20-2006 02:36:06 PM
quote:
One thousand monkies on one thousand typewriters would eventually write what Maradon! said;
1)Does the motherboard have a 4-pin power connector, and if so are you sure you're connecting that?

2)Does the video card have a 6-pin or standard molex power connector, and if so are you connecting that?

3)Is the little red switch on the power supply set to 115 and not 220? (it should be set to 115)

4)What's the wattage of the power supply and how many devices do you have connected?

1) I am assuming you mean the plug that my power supply has that attaches to the motherboard. That is 20 pins. My motherboard has 24. There is also a 4 pin connect which I have attached to, what my manual states, the JATXPWR2 plug.

2)I don't know but it is snapped into the motherboard PCI-E socket tightly.

3) No red switch

4) I have no idea, nor do I have a manual to tell me so. There is a green sticker with the number '9' on the back of it if that tells you anything. I have it connected to my two hard drives and the two plugs in the motherboard.

5) (extra) Both my hard drives have the white 4 or 5 pin plug and the IDE cables plugged into them. Should there be anymore cables? My power supply has a set of wires containing two of those white 4-5 pin plugs and then a smaller 4 pin plug that I can't find where it goes.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 10-20-2006 02:54:27 PM
quote:
Delidgamond needs to hitch a ride with a Vogon constructor fleet.
OK it still is not powering up even though I put the pins in correctly and tightly. The reset and the HDD LED are in the correct pins and I had a PWR SW and a pair of cables that were blank. I tried both times in the ON/OFF pins and the POWER pins and neither time did the computer start up.
PWR SW should probably go to ON/OFF. Did you try that?
quote:
When they turned on the Infinite Improbability Drive, Delidgamond stammered,
white 4 or 5 pin plug
Maradon was asking {#2} if your video card has a place to connect one of these plugs, and if so, whether you connected one.

Maradon!
posted 10-20-2006 03:12:47 PM
1) This is kinda important. If your PSU doesn't have a 24 pin connector, or at least a little snap-off expando connector thing, it may not be big enough for what you're running here.

2) This is also kinda important. Many mid-to-high end video cards have a necessary aux power input. Check on the back end of the card for a power connector - it will either be standard molex like the ones that go into your hard drive, or a special 6-pin that an adequate power supply will have.

3) Yes it does. It's on the back near where the power cable goes in and recessed, you need a flat head screwdriver to change it. Import power supplies come defaulted wrong.

4) This is kinda important too, and I suspect the source of your issue. There should be a sticker SOMEWHERE on the power supply that will tell you the output.

5) That 4-pin should go directly to your motherboard. If you don't have it connected, that would also cause the problem you're having. The 4-pin connector should be white and located somewhere near the processor.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 10-20-2006 03:38:30 PM
quote:
Maradon! likes the cock and also said this;
1) This is kinda important. If your PSU doesn't have a 24 pin connector, or at least a little snap-off expando connector thing, it may not be big enough for what you're running here.

2) This is also kinda important. Many mid-to-high end video cards have a necessary aux power input. Check on the back end of the card for a power connector - it will either be standard molex like the ones that go into your hard drive, or a special 6-pin that an adequate power supply will have.

3) Yes it does. It's on the back near where the power cable goes in and recessed, you need a flat head screwdriver to change it. Import power supplies come defaulted wrong.

4) This is kinda important too, and I suspect the source of your issue. There should be a sticker SOMEWHERE on the power supply that will tell you the output.

5) That 4-pin should go directly to your motherboard. If you don't have it connected, that would also cause the problem you're having. The 4-pin connector should be white and located somewhere near the processor.

1) It does have an additional 4 pin connect but I have put that in the JATXPWR2 instead of the 24 pin one. Should I put it in to complete the 24 pins?

2) There is nothing to plug anything into on my video card, I pulled it out to make sure.

3) Does this require me to remove all the wires and devices I've plugged into it, and pull out the motherboard in order to change it?

4) There is no visable sticker that tells me how much wattage it is producing.

5) I can't see anywhere that 4 pin connect should be plugged into. The only white plug near the CPU is for the fan.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 10-20-2006 03:41:11 PM
quote:
5) That 4-pin should go directly to your motherboard. If you don't have it connected, that would also cause the problem you're having. The 4-pin connector should be white and located somewhere near the processor.[/QB]
Just to clarify, the 4-pins-in-a-line plugs go into devices, such as the hard drives, CD/DVD drives, and some video cards. The 4-pins-in-a-square plug goes into the motherboard, either in a slot all its own, or right beside the main (14+ pin) cable from the power supply to the motherboard.
quote:
Delidgamond needs to hitch a ride with a Vogon constructor fleet.
5) I can't see anywhere that 4 pin connect should be plugged into. The only white plug near the CPU is for the fan.

Look down and to the left of the CPU. I see a 4-pin spot on the diagram. It appears to be labeled JATXPWR2. The main (14+ pin) power cable should be connected to JATXPWR1 on the far upper right of the board.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 10-20-2006 at 03:45 PM.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 10-20-2006 04:03:59 PM
That extra 4 pin cord from the power supply is 4 horizontally aligned pins.
Maradon!
posted 10-20-2006 05:09:39 PM
quote:
Delidgamonding:
1) It does have an additional 4 pin connect but I have put that in the JATXPWR2 instead of the 24 pin one. Should I put it in to complete the 24 pins?

You usually need both. The standalone 4 pin square would not fit in the remainder of the 24 pin connector anyway.

quote:
2) There is nothing to plug anything into on my video card, I pulled it out to make sure.

K.

quote:
3) Does this require me to remove all the wires and devices I've plugged into it, and pull out the motherboard in order to change it?

No, the switch in question is visible from the outside of the closed case. The power cord that goes to the wall socket connects to the back of the power supply. The switch in question is around there.

quote:
4) There is no visable sticker that tells me how much wattage it is producing.

This is beginning to seem more and more like your problem. Do you have the original packaging for the power supply or the case that might list the maximum output? Where did you get this PSU?

I strongly suspect that the power supply you are using is insufficient for the hardware you have.

quote:

The 4pin above LAN PHY in the image there is the one I'm talking about. If you have something connected to that, then you're ok.

Maradon!
posted 10-20-2006 06:40:59 PM
Oh, and I guess I edited too late last time, but does the computer give post beeps?
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 10-20-2006 08:05:41 PM
Not all powersupplies will have the 'extra' switch that Maradon is talking about. However most "decent" power supplies will.

I've seen more than 1 without that switch and wished I could put one in so I could blow the fucker to hell.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Maradon!
posted 10-20-2006 08:44:12 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Random Insanity Generator booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Not all powersupplies will have the 'extra' switch that Maradon is talking about. However most "decent" power supplies will.

I've seen more than 1 without that switch and wished I could put one in so I could blow the fucker to hell.

Really? I have never seen a power supply without a 115/220 switch. Even old ATs had them.

However I guess that would be in line with this PSU being a crappy cheapo one.

Alaan
posted 10-20-2006 10:01:24 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Really? I have never seen a power supply without a 115/220 switch. Even old ATs had them.

However I guess that would be in line with this PSU being a crappy cheapo one.

If it is the garbage we suspect probably weighs next to nothing too. My Antec easily weighed 2x as much as my similar wattage one that came with my case. Power supply is one thing you really should go big name with. That extra $50 you spend on it could keep you from fragging your $1500 system.

Maradon!
posted 10-21-2006 03:18:36 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Alaan booooze lime pole over bench lick:
If it is the garbage we suspect probably weighs next to nothing too. My Antec easily weighed 2x as much as my similar wattage one that came with my case. Power supply is one thing you really should go big name with. That extra $50 you spend on it could keep you from fragging your $1500 system.

I tell that to customers at best buy, but they never, ever listen to me.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 10-21-2006 05:45:54 AM
My power supply was 150. I switched it to 225 and it still did not turn on. I will be going to the NCIX shop in Burnaby today to pick up a 535W power supply. Hopefully it is my only problem.

EDIT: And about the POST beeps. I get none. My computer does not turn on at all.

Delidgamond fucked around with this message on 10-21-2006 at 05:46 AM.

BetaTested
posted 10-21-2006 11:00:03 AM
You should be fine once you get a power supply that isn't a POS and has the 4 square connector to hook into your mobo. Without the extra 4 pins (below and to the left on that diagram) the mobo is not getting enough juice to start up.

Maradon!
posted 10-21-2006 01:25:36 PM
quote:
Delidgamonding:
My power supply was 150. I switched it to 225 and it still did not turn on. I will be going to the NCIX shop in Burnaby today to pick up a 535W power supply. Hopefully it is my only problem.

EDIT: And about the POST beeps. I get none. My computer does not turn on at all.

350w is the very, VERY least you should even consider using for any computer faster than 1.2ghz or so. I think this was your problem.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 10-21-2006 06:43:12 PM
Well, it still doesn't work. I am just going to bring it down to NCIX and have them fix it. I have absolutly no idea what is wrong with it. From my point of view everything is plugged in correctly. I know there is power going from the PSU to the Mobo because of the network cord, the damn thing just won't turn on.
Taylen
Pancake
posted 10-22-2006 08:41:07 PM
My brother's computer was doing this for awhile, and it was because the power supply was insufficient for the devices running.
"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
Taeldian
Pancake
posted 10-23-2006 09:46:11 AM
Motherboard could be grounding out on the case. It happens a lot.

Try post testing it on a cardboard box and/or reseating the motherboard.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: