EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I guess I should remind you I'm an involuntary luddite D:
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 10-19-2006 12:32:00 AM
Sorry

Last year I got some new memory for my computer--two 512mb SDRAM cards--and thought I had installed them properly. Certain games, like CoV, didn't run as well I thought they would have, but I figured, "Eh, this is a fast-moving technology; I'm probably still behind the times."

I resubscribed to CoV the other day and found that it still didn't run very well. After optimizing my graphics settings (which didn't look very optimal to me), I decided to see if the RAM was working properly and rebooted the computer. The first startup display listed only 256mb of active or recognized or whatever RAM. zomg?

I've reinstalled and re-reinstalled the RAM, updated my BIOS, and rebooted my computer countless times (and by countless I mean four or five BUT ANYWAY). I've tried booting up with one card at a time and both at once, but no luck.

While I was updating the BIOS, I looked at the settings and saw both cards picked up in the memory slots. However, each time I boot up, I get only the 256mb... announcement... or whatever. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure if I have a problem with the hardware; there may just be some miscommunication going on.

Anyway, any advice you're willing to give me would be useful. As always, you'll have my appreciation, and I'll remember to build a heroic statue of you after my conquest of the earth.

EDIT: Look, tech writing isn't my strong suite.

Sentow, Maybe fucked around with this message on 10-19-2006 at 12:34 AM.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Maradon!
posted 10-19-2006 12:44:34 AM
run memtest to see if any of the ram is bad.

Also, how much ram does it say you have when you go to system properties in windows? (right click "My Computer" and select properties) If it says 256mb in windows, and memtest also says you have 256mb of memory and it all checks out OK, then it'd either be some bizarre BIOS setting or your motherboard just doesn't support more than 256mb of ram.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 10-19-2006 12:52:02 AM
Just tried to edit the first post, but I was too slow.

I haven't tried memtest, but system properties says 1GB, which would be correct. I'm willing to bet it was like this the whole time, and I tarded out over nothing.

Still, it's a little weird to me that the startup screen would say one thing while the BIOS and system properties would say another. Plus, CoV is pissing me off. WHY DON'T YOU LOOK LIKE THE SCREENSHOTS YOU FOUL TEMPTRESS

Anyway, thanks for your time

EDIT: Also, I don't think it's a problem with the motherboard. The machine had 512mb when I got it.

Sentow, Maybe fucked around with this message on 10-19-2006 at 12:52 AM.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Alaan
posted 10-19-2006 12:57:21 AM
quote:
Sentow, Maybe Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Just tried to edit the first post, but I was too slow.

I haven't tried memtest, but system properties says 1GB, which would be correct. I'm willing to bet it was like this the whole time, and I tarded out over nothing.

Still, it's a little weird to me that the startup screen would say one thing while the BIOS and system properties would say another. Plus, CoV is pissing me off. WHY DON'T YOU LOOK LIKE THE SCREENSHOTS YOU FOUL TEMPTRESS

Anyway, thanks for your time

EDIT: Also, I don't think it's a problem with the motherboard. The machine had 512mb when I got it.

Are you by chance running a 256 meg graphics card? The graphics card splash screen is usually the first thing you see.

Maradon!
posted 10-19-2006 01:00:08 AM
Ya. Either that's your video card, or the power on self test is only testing 256mb of the 1gb.

or somfink.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 10-19-2006 01:01:29 AM
quote:
Alaan stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Are you by chance running a 256 meg graphics card? The graphics card splash screen is usually the first thing you see.

Now that you mention it, yeah.

Maradon and Alaan both get statues.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: