EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Question for the Grammar Buffs
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 10-16-2006 10:45:42 AM
I wanted to know from all you grammar buffs out there which would be more correct:

"ARCHITECT TO PLEASE VERIFY GLASS TYPE"
or
"ARCHITECT TO IDENTIFY GLAZING TYPE"

We've beeen arguing over this for the last little while in our office. Just wanted to know what you bright and educated folk thought.

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-16-2006 10:51:35 AM
Neither one makes any sense, frankly. Is it supposed to be a want ad?

The first one is incorrect in that it splits the infinitive with "please," a word utterly unnecessary in the assumed context. Split infinitives are not technically wrong, but 99% of them are incorrect stylistically, as is this one. The second incorrectly uses "glazing" instead of "glaze."

On the other hand, AFAIK, glass and glaze are different things, so there's nothing to choose between them on that basis. Verifying something and identifying something are also slightly different shades of meaning, so one would have to know the intent to choose there.

Bottom line: they both suck.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Willias
Pancake
posted 10-16-2006 10:59:30 AM
First one sounds like engrish, second one sounds like you're asking an architect to inspect a donut.
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 10-16-2006 11:13:16 AM
quote:
Willias thought about the meaning of life:
First one sounds like engrish, second one sounds like you're asking an architect to inspect a donut.

Hehehehe.

Anyways, Bloodsage I'm trying to lay out a floor plan for a school in Jackson Missouri, and I'm trying to figure out how the windows are going to fit in the wall. The architect does not indicate what type of glass he wants to use, so I can't decide what frame to use in the wall.

edit: There are some windows that have the glass type labeled, however there are discrepancies in the wall sections. Some same 1" tempered glass, and some say 1" insulated glass for the same window.

Lechium fucked around with this message on 10-16-2006 at 11:17 AM.

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 10-16-2006 11:14:15 AM
Edit: Damn, too slow!

Sentow, Maybe fucked around with this message on 10-16-2006 at 11:14 AM.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-16-2006 11:26:15 AM
Depends upon how much space you have--brevity can lead to ambiguity.

"Glass type to be verified by architect," would leave no doubt, but if the shorthand is common, then, "Architect to verify glass type," will work, too.

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 10-16-2006 12:12:35 PM
The short hand would be more suitable, I don't have alot of room to squeeze notes in and what not. Thanks for you help Bloodsage.
Maradon!
posted 10-16-2006 12:49:31 PM
how about just "VERIFY GLASS TYPE"
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-16-2006 12:55:01 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Maradon! absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
how about just "VERIFY GLASS TYPE"

I assumed multiple people would be using the plan, and it might be necessary to specify who should do what.

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 10-16-2006 02:19:00 PM
quote:
Bloodsage thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
I assumed multiple people would be using the plan, and it might be necessary to specify who should do what.

You would assume correctly good sir. There are the glaziers, the sub contractors, the guy who orders the parts, and the guys in our back shop who build it.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 10-16-2006 04:01:26 PM
ARCHITECT: VERIFY GLASS TYPE
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-16-2006 04:06:55 PM
That would work also, maybe even slightly better.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-16-2006 04:23:21 PM
ARCHITECT: WORMS IN MY BRAIN GET THEM OUT
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Willias
Pancake
posted 10-16-2006 04:30:09 PM
ARCHITECT: IDENTIFY GLAZE TYPE

"What the? This is... ohgod"

Maradon!
posted 10-16-2006 04:58:03 PM
HAIRFELLOW: GO UP
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 10-16-2006 09:07:27 PM
MAIN SCREEN: TURN ON
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 10-16-2006 10:44:22 PM
YOUR BASE: ARE BELONG TO US
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: