EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What's new with Vista's license?
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-13-2006 01:57:18 PM
Apparently, you'll only be able transfer your copy of Vista Home to another person or another computer once.

I wonder if it's the same for Vista Pro, or if VLKs are handled differently. In addition, I wonder how they're going to enforce such a thing?

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Alaan
posted 10-13-2006 02:04:49 PM
quote:
I didn't think that even Karnaj would get so drunk as to say:
Apparently, you'll only be able transfer your copy of Vista Home to another person or another computer once.

I wonder if it's the same for Vista Pro, or if VLKs are handled differently. In addition, I wonder how they're going to enforce such a thing?

Just like they track activations for XP. You'll need to connect to the internet or phone in to MS to keep it working after a month. MS goes "Tough shit, you already did it once." Then your cmoputer dies.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 10-13-2006 02:08:07 PM
Wow...guess I'll have to hope XP is supported with updates for a very long time. This seems like it'd have bad implications for the yearly reformat MS-based systems tend to require. Upgrades...I don't even want to think about that. It's hard enough to generate the cash for the hardware itself; having to buy a new Vista install would be stupidly painful.

Edit: bad word choice

Damnati fucked around with this message on 10-13-2006 at 02:10 PM.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 10-13-2006 02:26:43 PM
If I didn't have MSDN Licenses for all this shit, I'd be pretty pissed.
Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 10-13-2006 04:07:02 PM
Right now I get that MSDN stuff through UF, but when I leave do I lose all the software I got from there?
Mike the Butcher
Pancake
posted 10-13-2006 04:27:03 PM
Hooray for being a MSDN AA Licence Administrator.
Maradon!
posted 10-13-2006 05:13:55 PM
Hooray for warez!

DRM is one big fucking toilet that companies are dumping money into. It doesn't even hinder the real criminals that it's designed to catch. It only makes life harder for the people who actually choose to obey the law.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 10-13-2006 at 05:14 PM.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 10-14-2006 12:00:07 AM
I'm betting Vista will become one of those "skipped" operating systems, like Windows ME.
"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Nina
posted 10-14-2006 12:05:27 AM
There's bound to be a Corporate edition that lets sysadmins install Windows on their companies's entire networks without the hassle of activation, licensing and whatnot, and you can bet that copy is going to be leaked and pirated first thing. Just like Windows XP already has.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 10-14-2006 12:26:03 AM
Volume Licensing is the solution for that in the business setting.

I just dont see any advantage in Vista that would warrant the trouble of upgrading. But most medium & large companies skip every other OS anyways unless there's a compelling reason to do otherwise.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Alaan
posted 10-14-2006 01:30:59 AM
DX10 alone is going to stuff Vista down a lot of the HARD CORE gamers throats though.
Leftover Mog
No, the spelling errors are not intentional
posted 10-14-2006 01:39:01 AM
quote:
Reynar had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
I'm betting Vista will become one of those "skipped" operating systems, like Windows ME.

I think microsoft (LOL MICRO$oft) said that they built vista to last for like 10 years or something, I realy dont want to adopt it, but im guesing its gonna be an eventuality

Then again, I am one of the above mentioned warez poeples who is never actually bothered by DRM except when I legaly aquire something and then deeply regret it.

Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-- George Herbert Walker Bush

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-14-2006 02:17:57 AM
Won't bother getting it until BTX and all the high-def hardware is standard, then I'll just be forced to get a Dell or something.
Maradon!
posted 10-14-2006 02:27:20 AM
quote:
Mortiousing:
Won't bother getting it until BTX and all the high-def hardware is standard, then I'll just be forced to get a Dell or something.

high-def hardware is already standard. you mean the high-def DRM hardware. *sigh*

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 10-14-2006 05:24:11 AM
I think MS will end up taking the edge off this. I remember when you had to get the new product key thinger for XP every time you twiddled the hardware and initially you were going to have to pay a fee every time. Didn't end up happening. I imagine it'll be similar with Vista.

If they really wanted the honest man's buck, though, they'd just make the sort of contract they offer businesses where the business can install an OS on all their machines easier for the home consumer. Pay fifty or even seventy-five bucks more for the OS and you're good to put it on as many machines as you want in your household.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 10-14-2006 09:39:50 AM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Robocop:

Intel's already largely abandoned BTX. It was a good idea, but it was having piss poor adoption rates.

And assembling one of those sucked.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-14-2006 12:52:39 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator said:
Intel's already largely abandoned BTX. It was a good idea, but it was having piss poor adoption rates.

And assembling one of those sucked.

Booooooo.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 10-14-2006 05:58:23 PM
quote:
Mortious thought I'd buy this for a dollar:
Booooooo.

Have you ever assembled one of those? Mass-production firms like Dell and HP can do it en-mass but unless they've improved how the HSF goes on the MB and improved the standards for case design so it doesn't require a crowbar.... I don't think the 'home enthusiast' market will be pleased.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: