EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Oddly Fun
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-23-2006 03:19:33 PM
WiFi Rabbits.

I got one on a whim, and while I'm disappointed in the business model (subscription service for some things, push service instead of independent access), it's actually quite fun and fairly useful once you learn its quaint language of beeping lights.

It also speaks. One can choose either a female voice in French or either a male or female voice in British. Some of the things it says and the way it says them are hilarious. It can also read you your e-mail, but you have to give your login data to their server and I'm not up for that.

It's sort of nice seeing the weather forecast at a glance, and how the markets are doing in general terms. It can also read the headlines at a specified time, which is semi-cool. People can even send messages to the rabbits from the web site.

It's a bit on the expensive side, but I'm hoping more interactive doohickies are in the offing. A bit more utility and a different business model would make this a must-have.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Maradon!
posted 09-23-2006 08:17:39 PM
ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY USD!!!??

PLUS a fucking subscription!?

Holy flying shit

I was thinking twenty, MAYBE thirty bucks for such a pointless plastic trinket. A subscription puts it into the "I would never, ever buy this" category right out of the gate. BUT A HUNDRED AND FIFTY BUCKS PLUS A SUBSCRIPTION!!?

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 09-23-2006 at 08:19 PM.

Zaile Ghostmaker
You've gotta remember, I'm an EverQuest character.
posted 09-23-2006 08:27:30 PM
quote:
Bloodsage spewed forth this undeniable truth:
It also speaks. One can choose either a female voice in French or either a male or female voice in British.

Let me know when they come out with one that speaks English.

I find that most problems can be solved by excessive violence.

It is held in thought
only by the understanding
of the Wind.

Maradon!
posted 09-23-2006 08:30:05 PM
Is it full of solid gold and diamonds?

Does it give really, REALLY good blowjobs?

Does it generate an entropy-proof field to keep you from aging for the rest of your life?

Some of these things could possibly justify it's price tag.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-23-2006 08:48:34 PM
does it have blu-ray?
Peter
Pancake
posted 09-23-2006 08:48:40 PM
quote:
Maradon! enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Is it full of solid gold and diamonds?

Does it give really, REALLY good blowjobs?

Does it generate an entropy-proof field to keep you from aging for the rest of your life?

Some of these things could possibly justify it's price tag.

Well if you want to think about it, how much money have you sunk into odd things, like those goggles? Or into video games? How much into MMO's were all that time and money are invested into something completely intangible?

I can say, This is, like a kilt or a pink shirt, is something only a manly man quite certain of his masculinity can pull of buying .

Peter fucked around with this message on 09-23-2006 at 08:52 PM.

Willias
Pancake
posted 09-23-2006 09:04:27 PM
what the hell is not manly about a kilt
Maradon!
posted 09-23-2006 09:22:26 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Peter booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Well if you want to think about it, how much money have you sunk into odd things, like those goggles? Or into video games? How much into MMO's were all that time and money are invested into something completely intangible?

You fail to weigh the money invested against the entertainment gained:

MMOs - $50 + $15/mo, dozens of hours of unique, fresh entertainment a month even if you only play extremely lightly.

Goggles - $10, and I get extensive use out of them

Video games - $50 for around 30 hours of fun, much less if you use gamefly

This thing - $150 + $???/mo for something that you might look at for fifteen seconds a day in order to get the exact same information you could get for free on any one of countless web sites.

You've completely missed the point that this thing is an extremely expensive trinket that does almost nothing.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 09-23-2006 at 09:24 PM.

Nina
posted 09-23-2006 09:30:58 PM
quote:
Maradon! thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
You've completely missed the point that this thing is an extremely expensive trinket that does almost nothing.

And you completely missed the obvious that some people have nothing better to do with their money.

Maradon!
posted 09-23-2006 10:01:05 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Nina who doth quote:
And you completely missed the obvious that some people have nothing better to do with their money.

I guess if you're the sort that wouldn't stop to pick up a $100 bill then yeah this might be just for you.

Nina
posted 09-23-2006 10:05:34 PM
Some people make a lot of money, for one reason or another. Such a gizmo could appeal to them. Those that can't afford it will simply pass.

Or are you going to rant and rave about how an Enzo Ferrari is just way too expensive and it should be worth as much as a Mazda 3?

Nina fucked around with this message on 09-23-2006 at 10:07 PM.

Maradon!
posted 09-23-2006 10:12:55 PM
quote:
Ninaing:
Or are you going to rant and rave about how an Enzo Ferrari is just way too expensive and it should be worth as much as a Mazda 3?

Except that isn't even remotely similar to what I'm doing here.

A ferrari enzo provides some drastic tangible benefits over a mazda 3, whether in performance or as a status symbol or in symple aesthetics.

This thing. does. almost. nothing.

Peter
Pancake
posted 09-23-2006 11:16:32 PM
quote:
Maradon! thought about the meaning of life:
You fail to weigh the money invested against the entertainment gained:

You fail to understand that I juxtaposed little bunny Fufu over there with something of equally intangible properties.

quote:
You've completely missed the point that this thing is an extremely expensive trinket that does almost nothing

No, what I saw was whineing about how other people spend their money.

Nina
posted 09-23-2006 11:23:48 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Maradon! stammered:
Except that isn't even remotely similar to what I'm doing here.

It is similar. Both are luxury items.

A ferrari runs better than a mazda, but in the end it has the same function. Just the same, this bunny gadget doesn't do anything a computer with IMs and news sites doesn't do, it's just added value.

Quite frankly, I think you're overreacting to something completely innocuous.

Willias
Pancake
posted 09-24-2006 12:15:27 AM
It's kinda like a segway.
Skaw
posted 09-24-2006 12:23:40 AM
quote:
Willias impressed everyone with:
It's kinda like a segway.

Except having a Segway would be kinda cool.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-24-2006 12:29:36 AM
quote:
Skaw said this about your mom:
Except having a Segway would be kinda cool.

they think i'm just too white and nerdy

Maradon!
posted 09-24-2006 01:34:42 AM
What this amounts to is a furby with internet capabilities that rival a cell phone made five years ago.

That is, objectively, not worth $150 and a monthly subscription.

Nina
posted 09-24-2006 01:54:50 AM
See, your whole argument would be pretty solid if you replaced "objectively" for "subjectively" in your last post.

Edit: not to mention that from just a little bit of research, I noticed that most of the useful services aren't even subscription based, only a select subset of them.

Nina fucked around with this message on 09-24-2006 at 01:57 AM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-24-2006 03:35:11 AM
The subscription isn't actually necessary, and is only really useful if one is into the community aspects of the little doodad.

As for the price, it looks like someone has once again forgotten that value is subjective. $100 may seem like a lot of money to you, but it's beer money to others.

As I said, it's a surprisingly fun little thingamajig. It'd be better if it accessed its functions directly instead of through its own servers, but it's still cool and the company is continually adding things to it.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 09-24-2006 10:39:26 AM
ZOMG I must have one!
Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 09-24-2006 01:32:59 PM
quote:
Bloodsage was listening to Cher while typing:
$100 may seem like a lot of money to you, but it's beer money to others.

This is very true, I feel weird agreeing with Sage after all these years that I hated almost every word that came out of his mouth.

But, I make an ok Salary.
I used to be poor.
So when I go out and have fun, Spending a 100 or so bucks on drinks and food isn't too big a deal.

Its not like 6 years ago when I was struggling at a dead end job making minimum wage at 40+ hours a week, while balancing college at the same time. Barely having a penny to my name and buying the cheapest crap I could find a going back to my apartment that I shared with 4 people.

Now I have the option to get things I would never dream of getting and have more fun without truly worrying if it were going to make or break me.

So in my eyes, BS found something that looked neat, he wanted one, and got one... Its that simple. Maradon saw that he got something that, to him, was useless because he had a more cost effective way to do everything that the WIFI Bunny does.

By this logic, Maradon will be more than happy to have a Coleco Vision instead of a "This Generation" Console like 360 WII or 3.

Whatever, I'm going to go back to lurking around here, have fun waging your war on people that have a little more than you.

And BS, I have to say that this Rabbit could be a huge step in the right direction and I might be ordering one soon myself.

Doomjudge
Pancake
posted 09-24-2006 01:33:49 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Punky Brewster:
That is, objectively, not worth $150 and a monthly subscription.

It's completely subjective to people, you paid for WoW and pay for a monthly subscription.

What's the difference?

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-24-2006 02:47:32 PM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabbits doth run and play while Brahmin Bloodlust gently hums:
This is very true, I feel weird agreeing with Sage after all these years that I hated almost every word that came out of his mouth.

I am Borg. You will be assimilated.

And it's hilarious to see Maradon! arguing against capitalism. I think we're seeing his true pinko colors, after all.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: