EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Nifty li'l VPN program - Hamachi
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-18-2006 03:07:25 PM
http://www.hamachi.cc/

I found this the other day while trying to get Titan Quest to work on my LAN. Yeah, I know, set up a VLAN instead of fixing the LAN. But whever, it works. There are, however, tons of other potential applications for this nifty little program. For gamers like us, it means you could set up your own private, secure VLAN to play Barbie Horse Adventures on without fear of being mocked. It also means you can access your home computer while on the road without investing in commercial VPN software. Plus, it's easy as hell to set up. I've tangled with commercial VPN software for the last six months at work; you have to jump through some fucking ridiculous hoops to get clients or site-to-site VPNs set up.

Give it a try; basically, anything your mind can imagine with home networking, you can do it securely across the Internet with Hamachi.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Talonus
Loner
posted 09-18-2006 04:13:04 PM
Also a favorite among game software pirates who don't want to deal with silly things like authentication servers when LAN play is available.
Sean
posted 09-18-2006 04:15:27 PM
quote:
Talonus had this to say about (_|_):
Also a favorite among game software pirates who don't want to deal with silly things like authentication servers when LAN play is available.

Nem, Black and I favor Hamachi for a lot of play on different games, but there have been ping problems as of late between me and Black. Fucks Company of Heroes right in the ass.

Our server is SUP NIGS, but I honestly forget the password. I think it's fuckstick, or fuckshoes. Something like that.

Sean fucked around with this message on 09-18-2006 at 04:20 PM.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Talonus
Loner
posted 09-18-2006 04:26:02 PM
quote:
Sean's account was hax0red to write:
Nem, Black and I favor Hamachi for a lot of play on different games, but there have been ping problems as of late between me and Black. Fucks Company of Heroes right in the ass.

Yeah, the netcode for most games is a bit different for LAN mode so they often play a bit worse. Plus, Hamachi isn't perfect. Oh well, that's what pirates have to put up with!

Sean
posted 09-18-2006 04:35:12 PM
Hey way to generalize

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-18-2006 04:41:51 PM
hay if your not doing anything wrong than what do youcare of people can see into internet tubes?
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Sean
posted 09-18-2006 04:53:20 PM
DUMPING SPAM IN KARNAJ'S TUBES

also cock

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-18-2006 04:57:36 PM
Nice.

Beer.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 09-18-2006 05:34:43 PM
Why not just use Windows XP VPN?
"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
nem-x
posted 09-18-2006 05:41:07 PM
Sean
posted 09-18-2006 05:55:53 PM
quote:
Reynar had this to say about Punky Brewster:
Why not just use Windows XP VPN?

Hamachi is unbelievably easier and faster.

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 09-18-2006 06:35:18 PM
Hamachi is awesome but I can't seem to get SS2 to work on it any more.
Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-18-2006 09:18:19 PM
quote:
Verily, Karnaj doth proclaim:
Plus, it's easy as hell to set up. I've tangled with commercial VPN software for the last six months at work; you have to jump through some fucking ridiculous hoops to get clients or site-to-site VPNs set up.[/QB]

I dunno, the built in PPTP client in XP works quite well (shockingly). The only time I've seen people have "problems" with the client end of a VPN setup is when they're using some 3rd party VPN application. I know the Cisco VPN client was a royal pain in the ass to work with back in 02/03 when I last dealt with it and I've heard nightmare stories about other vendors as well.

Setting up the 'server' end can be a nightmare. No doubt about that.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: