EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Next gen of ipods
diadem
eet bugz
posted 09-10-2006 11:30:18 AM
Does anyone have info on what the next gen of ipods will have? When will they be released?

I need to get myself a music player. If it's going to be longer than a month, I'll just buy a referb current model.

I pretty much locked myself in to an ipod - i spent too much money on itunes to go with something else.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Alaan
posted 09-10-2006 12:08:46 PM
quote:
This one time, at diadem camp:
Does anyone have info on what the next gen of ipods will have? When will they be released?

I need to get myself a music player. If it's going to be longer than a month, I'll just buy a referb current model.

I pretty much locked myself in to an ipod - i spent too much money on itunes to go with something else.

You are aware you can just burn songs from iTunes to a CD and re-rip them as mp3, right? There is probably a program to break the copy protection directly, but don't know it off the top of my head.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 09-10-2006 12:47:32 PM
iPod flea
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 09-10-2006 12:55:12 PM
quote:
Alaan had this to say about Knight Rider:
You are aware you can just burn songs from iTunes to a CD and re-rip them as mp3, right? There is probably a program to break the copy protection directly, but don't know it off the top of my head.

yeah, but that's a pain in the ass, and i don't know of anything that much better than the ipod to make doing that worth my time

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-10-2006 01:49:16 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Tarquinn squealed:
iPod flea

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Leftover Mog
No, the spelling errors are not intentional
posted 09-10-2006 02:20:43 PM
quote:
diadem wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
yeah, but that's a pain in the ass, and i don't know of anything that much better than the ipod to make doing that worth my time

Its not so much that another product would be better than the ipod and more it would be the exact same (though hopefully more durable, I've seen more broken iPods than I can count) thing but alot cheeper with a third party unit

I realy dislike iPods, like I said above, they seem to break alot, but other than that it is a damn nice machine.

On a slight sidenote, Ive been hearing the burn and rip to get your own music undrmed thing for a while now, not that I have any music with DRM, but instead of wasting a cd could you just compile it as an iso, mount and rip that?

Won't you be my friend

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-- George Herbert Walker Bush

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 09-10-2006 03:17:07 PM
quote:
Leftover Mog Model 2000 was programmed to say:
I realy dislike iPods, like I said above, they seem to break alot, but other than that it is a damn nice machine.

I accidentally washed my Shuffle, and it still works fine.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 09-10-2006 04:05:24 PM
I have owned 4 iPods and only one has ever had to be sent in for service. I get the feeling that had something to do with the nasty fall it took while I was moving the grass one day.

Percentage wise they have no more breakage than any other MP3 player. However when 75% of the MP3 players on the market are iPods then more of them will be sent in for service.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
TheOriginalZane
Pancake
posted 09-10-2006 04:06:42 PM
Get the SanDisk Sansa as seen here at best buy.
It's cheaper and gets better reviews than the ipod mini. A little bigger but still small and awesome.

Best buy 6gig SanDisk Sansa

The worst member of EC.
Live Journal
diadem
eet bugz
posted 09-10-2006 04:15:58 PM
quote:
TheOriginalZane had this to say about Tron:
Get the SanDisk Sansa as seen here at best buy.
It's cheaper and gets better reviews than the ipod mini. A little bigger but still small and awesome.

Best buy 6gig SanDisk Sansa

I'm not looking for a mini, I'm looking for something with storage (and is easy to use/transport). 30 or 40 gb at the min.

Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 09-10-2006 04:22:49 PM
I think the best thing would just be to get one of the new iPods with video, they have either 30 or 60 GB hard drives. If you do, get a case for it immediately, because they scrach easier than normal iPods.
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 09-10-2006 04:26:33 PM
ALso check out the "special Deals" section of the apple store. You can get a 30Gig iPod Video for 199 bucks.
Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 09-10-2006 05:34:43 PM
quote:
Zephyer Kyuukaze had this to say about pies:
I accidentally washed my Shuffle, and it still works fine.

Too bad your GBA didn't work that way.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 09-10-2006 08:07:18 PM
quote:
Kinanik had this to say about Duck Tales:
I think the best thing would just be to get one of the new iPods with video, they have either 30 or 60 GB hard drives. If you do, get a case for it immediately, because they scrach easier than normal iPods.

That really goes back to the original point of the post - I want to get those. However, I heard roomers about a new ipod coming out with new features (bigger screen, etc). If it is going to be released in a month or so, I can wait. If not, the current ones are on sale, so I'll just grab a refurb one now.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 09-10-2006 08:49:34 PM
quote:
Aury Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Too bad your GBA didn't work that way.

Tell me about it.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
nem-x
posted 09-10-2006 08:58:46 PM
I just got a 30gig video ipod yesterday.

The only thing I don't like is that I can't just drag/drop my entire mp3 folder with directories/filenames and have it show up on the ipod the same way as windows explorer. Or is there?!

BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 09-10-2006 08:58:51 PM
This thread made me realise Dell no longer makes the DJ

Buddy had one, and never let it go for like a month, then he stopped using it, but wouldn't sell it to me

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-10-2006 09:02:06 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when nem-x wrote:
I just got a 30gig video ipod yesterday.

The only thing I don't like is that I can't just drag/drop my entire mp3 folder with directories/filenames and have it show up on the ipod the same way as windows explorer. Or is there?!

No, because then it wouldn't write to the database that the interface reads from

nem-x
posted 09-10-2006 09:05:14 PM
Gosh no hacks? Using id tags suck
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 09-11-2006 06:20:27 AM
There have been a lot of rumors floating around. The current top one is that the next ipod will be about the same size as the current one. However the entire face will be the screen. Your controls will be a touch sensitive part of the face and will only appear as an overlay when you touch it. If everything I have heard is right then there were problems with the touch portion of the screen and that is why it has been delayed.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 09-11-2006 07:35:02 AM
It'll be a trIpod, like from the latest in the "Scary Movie" series. It'll follow you around, play music, destroy humanity. That sort of thing.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

nem-x
posted 09-11-2006 04:51:54 PM
I need a case recommendation

iSkin evo3 or claro seem like good choices.
And this one too
illusion case

diadem
eet bugz
posted 09-12-2006 07:03:33 AM
Looks like i'm going to get me an ipod by the end of the week then. If I really want the new one, I can always sell my old one and pay the diffrence.

Does anyone know if the warnetee is transferable? Should I buy the 2 Year Protection Plan? It's $60. So the price would be around $360 for 60 gb instead of $300.

nem-x
posted 09-12-2006 03:53:12 PM
They just dropped the price/introduced new ipods. I'm going to return mine! :D
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 09-12-2006 03:59:15 PM
New ipods

iPod Shuffle, now 1.62 inches long and sporting a clip, the size of the remote control. 1 GB for 79.

iPod Nano, now in 2 gb, 4 gb, 8 gb, anonized aluminum cases with the same shape as the ipod mini, for 149, 199, and 249.

iPod with Video, now in 30 and 80 gb and with video games, 249 or 349.

Also, all video content from iTunes is now encoded at 640x480 instead of 320x240.

Also, you can now buy movies from iTunes for 9.99 for old releases, 12.99 for preorders of new releases, and 14.99 for new releases.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 09-12-2006 04:12:56 PM
Blackened
posted 09-12-2006 04:24:04 PM
Oh shit, I guess it's time to replace my 4 year old iPod with one of those new Nanos.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-12-2006 05:11:06 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived diadem stammered:
Looks like i'm going to get me an ipod by the end of the week then. If I really want the new one, I can always sell my old one and pay the diffrence.

Does anyone know if the warnetee is transferable? Should I buy the 2 Year Protection Plan? It's $60. So the price would be around $360 for 60 gb instead of $300.

AppleCare is worth it.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 09-12-2006 07:13:38 PM
well, i guess it's a good thing i waited for a responce this afternoon instead of this morning.
Blindy.
posted 09-12-2006 09:26:10 PM
quote:
I gotta give it to Blackened with:
Oh shit, I guess it's time to replace my 4 year old iPod with one of those new Nanos.

For $249 the new ipod with video is a fucking steal.

nem-x
posted 09-12-2006 11:55:47 PM
Why is the 8gig nano the same price as the 30gig video
Nina
posted 09-13-2006 12:03:44 AM
Same reason the 3rd step of MacBook costs $150 more than the 2nd step upgraded with equivalent specs! Because it's black.

Nina fucked around with this message on 09-13-2006 at 12:04 AM.

nem-x
posted 09-13-2006 12:06:10 AM
Alaan
posted 09-13-2006 12:07:44 AM
Solid state memory is much pricier per gigabyte.
Nina
posted 09-13-2006 12:09:09 AM
I was being facetious. You appear to have the choice as per current generation ones, though.

My educated guess on the pricing is miniaturization, simply.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-13-2006 01:40:19 AM
I got an iPod for Christmas and it just doesn't work...at all. It won't accept files, freezes up all the time, and frequently just stops playing during mp3s.

I've taken it in to be looked at and they couldn't do anything.

In my opinion, iPod stinks.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 09-13-2006 06:20:30 AM
Taken it in where? Did you send it to apple or just take it into someplace like bestbuy or an apple store? If you took it to an apple store they should have either fixed it, replaced it or sent it off for repair. If you took it into a non apple store then that is your own damn fault.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-13-2006 06:24:04 AM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Taken it in where? Did you send it to apple or just take it into someplace like bestbuy or an apple store? If you took it to an apple store they should have either fixed it, replaced it or sent it off for repair. If you took it into a non apple store then that is your own damn fault.

Apple store. They just looked at it, reformatted it and sent me on my way.

Blindy.
posted 09-13-2006 08:07:11 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan must think they're pretty smart:
Apple store. They just looked at it, reformatted it and sent me on my way.

Go back, raise a stink, and get a free new ipod.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-13-2006 10:20:30 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Blindy. stammered:
Go back, raise a stink, and get a free new ipod.

Seriously. The Apple store gives out replacement iPods like candy

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 09-13-2006 at 10:20 AM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: