EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Don't like someone in Ohio? Put them on a sex offender list without convicting
Demos
Pancake
posted 09-01-2006 04:56:01 PM
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060829/NEWS24/608290360/-1/NEWS

quote:
Plan gains to publicly identify accused
Ohio panel backs registry proposal

BLADE COLUMBUS BUREAU

COLUMBUS - An Ohio legislative panel yesterday rubber-stamped an unprecedented process that would allow sex offenders to be publicly identified and tracked even if they've never been charged with a crime.

No one in attendance voiced opposition to rules submitted by Attorney General Jim Petro's office to the Joint Committee on Agency Rule Review, consisting of members of the Ohio House and Senate.

The committee's decision not to interfere with the rules puts Ohio in a position to become the first state to test a "civil registry."

The concept was offered by Roman Catholic bishops as an alternative to opening a one-time window for the filing of civil lawsuits alleging child sexual abuse that occurred as long as 35 years ago.

A recently enacted law allows county prosecutors, the state attorney general, or, as a last resort, alleged victims to ask judges to civilly declare someone to be a sex offender even when there has been no criminal verdict or successful lawsuit.

The rules spell out how the untried process would work. It would largely treat a person placed on the civil registry the same way a convicted sex offender is treated under Ohio's so-called Megan's Law.

The person's name, address, and photograph would be placed on a new Internet database and the person would be subjected to the same registration and community notification requirements and restrictions on where he could live.

A civilly declared offender, however, could petition the court to have the person's name removed from the new list after six years if there have been no new problems and the judge believes the person is unlikely to abuse again.

The attorney general's office said it continues to hold discussions with a group representing day care operators about one of the rules pertaining to what such facilities would do with information they might receive pertaining to someone on the registry if that person is living nearby.

Repost from Fark, but jesus christ is this a stupid idea. It essentially treats people placed on the list by assumption (not by conviction in a court of law) the same as convicted criminals. I especially liked this part:

quote:
A civilly declared offender, however, could petition the court to have the person's name removed from the new list after six years if there have been no new problems and the judge believes the person is unlikely to abuse again.

I guess that assumes they did anything in the first place which...they don't have to prove anymore. Guilt without trial. R.I.P. due process.

Demos fucked around with this message on 09-01-2006 at 05:07 PM.

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-01-2006 05:19:50 PM
This will last about a nanosecond under judicial review, so there's not much to worry about.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-01-2006 05:49:51 PM
But...if you can track/prosecute sex offenders before they've been identified as sex offenders, how do you know that they're sex offenders? Lucky guess?
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-01-2006 06:02:30 PM
I'm adding Blindy to the list.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-01-2006 06:30:01 PM
Well, thank God that molestor has been identified before he could become a threat to our decent, God-fearing society.
Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 09-01-2006 07:43:52 PM
These people have apparently watched Minority Report, and thought its premise was a rather good idea.

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 09-01-2006 08:32:22 PM
Can I put "Hooty McBoob" on the list?
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 09-01-2006 11:17:06 PM
People should simply start putting all the state's officials on the list. I bet it wouldn't last long after that.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 09-02-2006 11:40:59 AM
quote:
Karnaj isn't in Kansas anymore:
I'm adding Blindy to the list.

I appreciate your thinking that I'm not already on it!

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 09-02-2006 04:16:08 PM
No one would ever be a priest, pastor, nun, or any sort of member of the cloth. Evar.
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 09-02-2006 04:33:44 PM
quote:
Azakias, alone in the world and surrounded by danger on every turn, still managed to type this:
No one would ever be a priest, pastor, nun, or any sort of member of the cloth. Evar.

And yet, it was apparently "offered up by Roman Catholic bishops", which...I'm not sure what to make of that.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: