EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Someone tell me why majoring in music is a bad idea.
Gadani
U
posted 08-27-2006 11:24:57 PM
Because I'm seriously considering it.
Maradon!
posted 08-27-2006 11:27:13 PM
Because there's only two things you can do with a music degree: Play music, and teach music. The former is not very likely, and the latter is not very lucritive.

Still, nowadays you can get into high level IT positions with a degree in cosmetics, so it might not be all that bad an idea.

Suddar
posted 08-27-2006 11:33:48 PM
There's nothing wrong with the idea, but remember, your college education is an investment. Music may be where your heart is, but it isn't where the money is. Nobody will stop you from majoring in music if you really want to, but you may regret it.
Blackened
posted 08-27-2006 11:39:11 PM
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS

and

WWIISSEE FRWOM YOUR GWWAVVEE

Blackened fucked around with this message on 08-27-2006 at 11:39 PM.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 08-27-2006 11:44:17 PM
Maradon is right. Though you can also write music, but to write major symphonies that don't suck, you must be extremely talented. Either way, your options are limited.

If music is what you love though...I dont see how it could be a bad idea.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Gadani
U
posted 08-28-2006 12:06:41 AM
I was thinking about majoring in singing.

How likely is it that I'll be able to support myself at all with that?

Blackened
posted 08-28-2006 12:14:21 AM
quote:
Gadani.
I was thinking about majoring in singing.

How likely is it that I'll be able to support myself at all with that?

It's pretty likely you'll be able to support yourself with a master's degree in a lot of different things. Of course, it depends on a lot more things than just the degree itself, so you're not going to get any really good answers asking that question.

Or do you mean "At what level of comfort will my living situation most likely be?"

In that case I hope you like cardboard boxes and ham sandwiches.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 08-28-2006 12:46:26 AM
Five words that will figure very prominently in the future of many music majors:

"You want fries with that?"

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 08-28-2006 01:02:07 AM
I'm a graduate from a college where I got my bachelor's in music (composition).

Basically, you don't go to college for the degree, if it's for art or music, unless you're looking to go to graduate school to then go on to teaching. You go to a college for the knowledge, professors, and the people you meet there + opportunities they bring both in college and once you graduate. Because more often than not, the folks you meet at an art college can lead into potential work and collaboration later on in your life.

If you're looking at being a vocal major, you need to be passionate about it, because this shit isn't cheap. If you're just thinking about doing it, and that you might not be committed... Then take voice lessons with a good teacher. Because that's all you'll get out of being a vocal major if you don't actively pursue everything that the college has to offer for you.

Good luck

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-28-2006 09:23:46 AM
Majoring in music is majoring in being poor.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 08-28-2006 09:36:41 AM
Unless you're really, really good. Then you get picked up by an orchestra and make six figures, like my high school friend.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-28-2006 09:52:14 AM
Yea, the timpanist for the New York Phil makes ~$150k. Course I doubt that are that many orchestras in the country that can afford those kinds of salaries.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-28-2006 09:53:53 AM
While an undergraduate major won't make or break the rest of your life, you have to assess where you want to be in 20 years. . .as well as your actual capabilities. Making any kind of decent money in music is going to be very, very difficult.

But if your coursework will allow you to get a graduate degree in something else, then there's no reason not to. Just be aware that putting all your eggs in the music basket may not be a smart idea.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 08-28-2006 09:53:57 AM
Yep, and it goes back to being really, really good. He got a free ride to Carnegie Mellon. Actually, they paid him to go there.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 08-28-2006 10:22:41 AM
A music degree is a great idea--but keep in mind that it's education, but it's not likely to have any particular power as a credential so far as making you a living.

Take David Helfgott, for example. Music prodigy, studied music at the Royal College of Music in London, spent ten years institutionalised, four years playing in an obscure wine bar, and then had movies made about him, and now plays worldwide. Still poor as piss.

Even if you're excellent, you're deeply unlikely to make much money--but you will get the credit. Which, depending on your motives, is often enough.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 08-28-2006 03:02:52 PM
I have been told that a degree in vocal performance is one of the hardest to get, right up there with like pre-med and pre-law (actually, I think that's how he put it - pre-med, pre-law, and then vocal performance, in that order.)

I have known 2 people that were majoring in vocal performance and at least one of them was taking summer school in addition to 18-19 hours per regular semester just to make it out in 4 years.

Plus, like these dudes are saying, you're putting all that time in and you don't even know if you're going to be making any money.

Monica fucked around with this message on 08-28-2006 at 03:05 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-28-2006 03:41:24 PM
It's better to starve doing what you love than eat well doing what you hate.

I was told that and I've found it to be good advice. But then again, I'm brilliant, talented and charming, so I don't know how well it could work for you.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 08-28-2006 03:56:55 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan was naked while typing this:
It's better to starve doing what you love than eat well doing what you hate.

Fuck that noise. I'd rather shovel shit for ten hours a day and be a millionaire than do something I like and be on a ramen and tap water diet.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-28-2006 04:11:04 PM
quote:
Snoota stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Fuck that noise. I'd rather shovel shit for ten hours a day and be a millionaire than do something I like and be on a ramen and tap water diet.

It's kind of different for those of us with ambition.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-28-2006 04:48:54 PM
I'm with Fleetwood Mac on this one. If you can't make money doing what you love, then love the one you're with. I'm of the opinion that the whole, "It's better to be happy and poor," thing was started as a means for poor people to rationalize their situation.

It's a lot easier to be happy if you're earning a decent living, whether you like your job or not.

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 08-28-2006 11:41:41 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Cuba:
I'm with Fleetwood Mac on this one. If you can't make money doing what you love, then love the one you're with. I'm of the opinion that the whole, "It's better to be happy and poor," thing was started as a means for poor people to rationalize their situation.

It's a lot easier to be happy if you're earning a decent living, whether you like your job or not.

I always thought that was CSNY.

Gadani, you might consider investigating a commercial music or music as industry concentration rather than performance. Still rooted firmly in music studies, and you can certainly take performance classes, but you also have a good grounding in business to make yourself more marketable.

I don't know what's available to you, but I know a few of the schools near me offer 4 year degrees in business oriented music programs.

Arttemis fucked around with this message on 08-28-2006 at 11:42 PM.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 08-29-2006 03:46:52 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
It's kind of different for those of us with ambition.

Because when we think ambition, we think Parcelan.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-29-2006 03:57:12 AM
quote:
At least I'm not Snoota
Because when we think ambition, we think Parcelan.

Uh huh.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-29-2006 07:35:49 AM
nm

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 08-29-2006 at 07:36 AM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-29-2006 07:35:59 AM
nm

Cadga 2.0
Pancake
posted 08-30-2006 10:25:52 AM
quote:
Bloodsage's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:

I believe in the happy medium, Id trade some extra spending cash for slightly MORE happiness. You cant be happy when your cant pay the bills IMO

Professional Heretic/Sinner/Linux User
"Every Breath leaves me one less to my last"
Mod
Pancake
posted 08-30-2006 11:47:51 AM
First, be clear about your goals. Are you ok with not having a wife? Not having children? Not having a large house? Having to save for entertainments spending which other people just launch money at from the penny jar? Will getting to make music and work with good musicians be something that will draw you out of the house and into 'work' even when you're not being paid for it? If yes, it's probably a good idea, if not, you may regret it. There are people in many fields, even those generally considered undignified, who would go to work even if they weren't forced to by material necessity.

If music is the one thing you would prefer to be doing all day, every day, go right ahead. If music is just a hobby right now you're looking to possibly make into a job and the brilliant center of all your thinking, I would personally advise against spending your college money on an education in music. Rather than going all-out, try and get into a band or orchestra at your school in your free time, and go from there.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-31-2006 10:50:12 AM
It's also important at this stage to do what will probably be your first no-shit realistic self assessment. The competition is exponentially tougher between high school and college and again between college and professional life. What honest-to-goodness evidence do you have that you're any good, and can compete at the college level, much less have a shot at going pro?

Think how few high school athletes get to compete at the NCAA level (much less Div I), then how few of those athletes get to turn pro, and you'll have an idea of the calculus you should be performing.

Even now I'm constantly surprised how few people seem to have a realistic idea of their place in our extremely competitive, hierarchical military system. And one of the hardest things is trying to break it to people that, no, just doing everything "okay" doesn't rate that #1 slot--or even maybe that top 60% ticket to a worry-free promotion. Most people are average, by definition, but most people don't rate themselves as average.

In the end, you have to ask yourself what makes you think you've got what it takes to make it in that world.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 08-31-2006 11:32:16 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Mod:
First, be clear about your goals. Are you ok with not having a wife? Not having children?

People in the entertainment industry can't get married or have kids?

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-31-2006 11:46:06 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Reynar said:

Sure, but why settle for spouse and children if you can have groupies?

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Steven Steve
posted 08-31-2006 11:59:52 AM
quote:
Reynar attempted to be funny by writing:

It doesn't apply to spouses, but it would probably be best not to have kids if your income amounts to pocket change.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 08-31-2006 12:12:55 PM
quote:
Reynar said this, then charged the door while shouting "CHONGO LONGO!":

Well...there's a 48-hour-limit.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 08-31-2006 12:14:55 PM
quote:
Gunslinger Moogle had this to say about dark elf butts:
Well...there's a 48-hour-limit.

People with actual, bone-fide music degrees don't go into that area of the entertainment business. There's way too much money and fame.

Mod
Pancake
posted 08-31-2006 01:03:56 PM
quote:
Reynar stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

Try keeping a wife faithful on a wandering musician's income.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Sean
posted 08-31-2006 01:11:51 PM
quote:
Mod painfully thought these words up:
Try keeping a wife faithful on a wandering musician's income.

Wow, uh..

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Skaw
posted 08-31-2006 01:17:57 PM
quote:
Sean impressed everyone with:
Wow, uh..

Yeah, it should be the other way around

Steven Steve
posted 08-31-2006 01:44:37 PM
No, not really, because every woman on earth is trying their best to never work a day in their lives and just latch on to some loser who wasted all his time in graduate school so he could get a 6 figure salary. That's all there is.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 08-31-2006 01:46:34 PM
quote:
Stalwart Steve still thinks SARS jokes are topical, as evidenced by:
No, not really, because every woman on earth is trying their best to never work a day in their lives and just latch on to some loser who wasted all his time in graduate school so he could get a 6 figure salary. That's all there is.

That's what I did.

Well, reverse the genders. I'm totally shooting to be a house husband.

Beer.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 08-31-2006 02:27:36 PM
That's called going to college for your MRS Degree.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-31-2006 02:39:53 PM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabbits doth run and play while Stalwart Steve gently hums:

Six figures doesn't suck, but it's not Utopia. It's still firmly middle class.

An enduring rule of the universe is that expenses rise to meet income.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: