EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: System Shock 2 ending... is there one?
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 08-27-2006 12:51:36 PM
A friend of mine pointed out that System Shock 2 was available on the Underdogs. Since I had never played it before, I downloaded it and gave it a whirl... fun game, but I'm a little confused. Was there supposed to be some kind of ending? I beat the final boss, and got spit out to the main menu.
Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 08-27-2006 01:02:45 PM
I picked it back up again recently and beat it, and it did the same thing to me. Near as I can tell, the FMVs don't run normally on XP. Just go to the SS2 directory, find the FMVs, and run through em normally.
Steven Steve
posted 08-27-2006 02:02:58 PM
You shoot SHODAN in the face and that's the end.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-27-2006 02:11:34 PM
quote:
Stalwart Steve had this to say about John Romero:
You shoot SHODAN in the face and that's the end.

And then the two people that escaped on the other pod get attacked by one of the Many on the way back to Earth.

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 08-27-2006 02:51:31 PM
Uh, no, that's definitely Shodan's voice/head.

There's an audio log from the girl that talks about finding a "military grade implant" somewhere. Connect the dots...

Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-27-2006 04:02:50 PM
Yes, there is an ending. A rather cool one, IMHO. SHODAN survives.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Maradon!
posted 08-27-2006 07:38:13 PM
Shodan escapes on the shuttle with the two lovers that you help escape but never interact with directly.

If I recall properly, the guy that escapes is one of the ones who originally found the destroyed shodan hardware and brought it on board the ship, so I guess he kept it as a sourvenier and it ended up posessing the girl or something.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-27-2006 07:52:06 PM
Thats right. I remembered it involved the couple, but forgot it was SHODAN. My bad.
Maradon!
posted 08-27-2006 07:55:27 PM
BIOSHOCK IS COMING HOLY SHIT GUYS
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-27-2006 07:57:32 PM
quote:
Maradon! enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
BIOSHOCK IS COMING HOLY SHIT GUYS

Maradon!
posted 08-27-2006 08:00:15 PM
It it comes out and it's one of those FPS's that you can beat the SP campaign in like 6 hours I will be seriously pissed.

We're talking MoO3 pissed.

Talonus
Loner
posted 08-27-2006 08:24:06 PM
quote:
Maradon! enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
It it comes out and it's one of those FPS's that you can beat the SP campaign in like 6 hours I will be seriously pissed.

We're talking MoO3 pissed.

5-10 hour gameplay is the trend most action/adventure/FPS games are heading towards these days. I wouldn't be too surprised if it wasn't more than 10 or so hours.

Maradon!
posted 08-27-2006 08:33:00 PM
It's a trend that's kept me from buying any recently released FPS's, I know that much.

The SS2 must have been at least 20 hours. Probably more like 30.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 08-27-2006 at 08:33 PM.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 08-27-2006 08:37:31 PM
Uhhh.. the movies for the game are in .avi format in the games directory. Go find them. If underdogs didn't have them tell me and I'll upload them.
Peter
Pancake
posted 08-27-2006 08:42:31 PM
quote:
Y.O.T.C had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Uhhh.. the movies for the game are in .avi format in the games directory. Go find them. If underdogs didn't have them tell me and I'll upload them.

They are there, they just don't play in the game for some reason

Talonus
Loner
posted 08-27-2006 08:58:43 PM
quote:
Verily, Maradon! doth proclaim:
It's a trend that's kept me from buying any recently released FPS's, I know that much.

Like I said, it's a trend that'll probably continue, especially with cutting edge titles with AAA graphics. That's another discussion though, one that shouldn't shit up a System Shock thread. It doesn't mean the games aren't worth playing either; rent or pirate!

quote:
Peter stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
They are there, they just don't play in the game for some reason

This is semi-common issue with older games, especially Looking Glass titles. It has to do with the codec not working properly in XP. This TTLG thread has a bandaid fix.

Maradon!
posted 08-27-2006 09:29:29 PM
quote:
Talonusing:
Like I said, it's a trend that'll probably continue, especially with cutting edge titles with AAA graphics. That's another discussion though, one that shouldn't shit up a System Shock thread. It doesn't mean the games aren't worth playing either; rent or pirate!

For 6 hours of entertainment, I have a real hard time justifying 12 hours of pirating and image cracking, and I have an even harder time justifying spending more than a couple bucks.

Nina
posted 08-27-2006 10:06:57 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Maradon! said:
For 6 hours of entertainment, I have a real hard time justifying 12 hours of pirating and image cracking, and I have an even harder time justifying spending more than a couple bucks.

If it takes you more than 5 minutes to find a pirate torrent, start it and then install it once it's done, you really are doing something wrong.

Talonus
Loner
posted 08-27-2006 10:07:52 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Maradon! wrote:

12 hours? Oy, what the heck are you downloading from to make it take that long? And as far as spending cash goes, that's why I use Gamefly. Then again, I can justify the cash I spend on renting as I almost never buy console games.

Maradon!
posted 08-28-2006 12:46:21 PM
I remember when you could buy a game and it would last you a month. You buy Prey and it lasts you two days of very casual play.
Steven Steve
posted 08-28-2006 01:31:27 PM
Those days were called Black Isle.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 08-28-2006 02:39:58 PM
quote:
Stalwart Steve's tombstone read:

Truth.

Timpofee
Mancake
posted 08-28-2006 02:42:44 PM
quote:
Stalwart Steve had this to say about John Romero:

I cried a little just then..

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 08-28-2006 07:59:55 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Maradon! wrote:

I'm actually kinda diggin' "Farcry"

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Led
*kaboom*
posted 08-28-2006 08:09:55 PM
This thread reminds me that they need to make more co-op fps games
Alaan
posted 08-29-2006 01:51:50 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael was all like:
I'm actually kinda diggin' "Farcry"

Trigen

Even when they first show up it is survivable, if really random. Then you get the super Trigens that just bend you over.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 08-29-2006 02:33:20 AM
I miss Bullfrog. I remember when half the games I played regularly had that frog on 'em, and those games lasted months and months...

EDIT - And I agree wholeheartedly with Led about co-op. I can't think of a FPS game I've played that had co-op that wasn't very fun

Khyron fucked around with this message on 08-29-2006 at 02:35 AM.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 08-29-2006 02:48:19 AM
Trigen are hard? What? I thought peoples gripes about trigen are the fact that they are there. They seem kinda stupid and out of place.

On co-op... halo pissed me off royally when they released the PC version without co-op mode, and never added it in like they said they would. Fuckers.

Sean
posted 08-29-2006 02:49:49 AM
Yeah, that bummed me the fuck out too. It was a god-awful PC port all in all, but still, you think they would try to include the sole redeeming feature of the entire game.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Steven Steve
posted 08-29-2006 11:55:13 AM
quote:
Led thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Trigen are hard? What? I thought peoples gripes about trigen are the fact that they are there. They seem kinda stupid and out of place.

On co-op... halo pissed me off royally when they released the PC version without co-op mode, and never added it in like they said they would. Fuckers.

If you have adjusted difficulty on, super trigens are impossible.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 08-29-2006 03:09:59 PM
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: