EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Look out New Gamers! Violence is in old videogames
Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 08-25-2006 03:46:32 PM
Wow, i didn't think Pacman was 62% violent, and Oblivion less than 5%

BEHOLD THE KNOWLEDGE OF SOME LADY AT HARVARD, AND HER INCREDIBLY LOGICAL WAY OF MEASURING VIOLENCE!

"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
Cadga 2.0
Pancake
posted 08-25-2006 04:02:25 PM
Aand they give these people degree's
Professional Heretic/Sinner/Linux User
"Every Breath leaves me one less to my last"
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 08-25-2006 04:10:43 PM
Pac man makes serial killers.
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Mod
Pancake
posted 08-25-2006 04:30:30 PM
As far as methods for measuring 'violence' go, this isn't too terrible. It's better than the 'average parent'-test the article espouses at any rate. Using that idea, you wouldn't get an indicator of violence, but just an indicator of what random people find objectionable. This is about E-rated games and it makes some sense to quantify the types of interactions with other characters you have within the game world. It's not impossible that, if you subscribe to the theory that games significantly influence people, a kind pretending to be adversarial towards a game character would have a different effect than a kid running around a game world and occasionally hitting wolves.

In that sense a game like Streets of Rage is probably more violent than most modern games, since the only interaction within the game you ever have with anyone is to punch them in the face, while even in something like GTA you have a lot of non-violent interaction shown (i.e. people talking, negotiating, driving around, buying things, etc). If this were an attempt at an indicator of 'unwholesomeness' it would be a different story, but in the context of trying to quantify violence it's not a bad attempt at a pointless end.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 08-25-2006 06:03:42 PM
Thank you Mod, for the obligatory leftist comment. I would hardly call Pac-man eating a blue ghost, which immediately comes back to life, violent.
"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
Mod
Pancake
posted 08-25-2006 06:20:55 PM
quote:
Anakha stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Thank you Mod, for the obligatory leftist comment. I would hardly call Pac-man eating a blue ghost, which immediately comes back to life, violent.

What the hell is leftist about it? If you're going to mimic other, incredibly annoying, people here and use idiotic stereotypes in place of arguments, just go ahead and stop posting in the first place.

It's because you're not understanding that those people were going by violent intent rather than the level of graphic violence displayed. I.e., Street Fighter may not really look 'violent' at first glance in that the level of graphics is not sufficient to induce a sense of revulsion as for example a movie like saw does, but the gameplay, to non-competitive players, consists of hitting some other guy and not much else.

In a psychological context when dealing with children this is something that could be significant to people trying to gouge the effects of game violence, since it sets a baseline for the kinds of social interactions the child is exposed to during play.

Personally I'm not a believer in sheltering kids from Scorpion breathing fire on people, but at least those people are trying to establish and actual methodology instead of using the gut instinct standard, the lowest way of judging known to man.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 08-25-2006 06:51:54 PM
quote:
Mod had this to say about Cuba:
In a psychological context when dealing with children this is something that could be significant to people trying to gouge the effects of game violence

Violent video games have already warped this man's mind!

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-25-2006 06:55:53 PM
The problem, of course, is that all of this "research" and other crap presupposes a causal link between video games and real-world behavior. A link that has yet to be shown to exist.

So why are we trying to quantify something that, according to current studies, doesn't really have an impact on anything sociologically? Seems to me it's that "gut instinct" thing you're decrying: violence=bad, so we must warn people ONOS!

It might be another thing if there were actually any link whatsoever between behavioral changes in normal children and cartoon violence in video games. . .but there isn't, despite a lot of people trying to prove otherwise.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Talonus
Loner
posted 08-25-2006 07:18:13 PM
quote:
Bloodsage stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
The problem, of course, is that all of this "research" and other crap presupposes a causal link between video games and real-world behavior. A link that has yet to be shown to exist.

There's plenty of published studies that have shown physical (increased heart rate, blood pressure, phsyiological arousal, etc) and mental (aggression, hostily, etc) links between video games and real-world behavior. There's also been plenty of studies that showed the exact opposite. It's impossible to say either way at this point, though I say that they have about as much an effect as any competitive sport.

Note: When I say studies, I mean short-term studies. There haven't really been any good long-term studies on the subject.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-25-2006 07:23:56 PM
You do know the difference between something that might cause an elevated heart rate and something that might cause someone one to go postal?

Right?

Additionally, all of these "physical effects" are exactly the same ones that happen as a result of a good book, or a good movie, or any of a hundred or so other experiences. The fact remains that there is no proven link between violent video games and antisocial behavior in otherwise normal children.

Talonus
Loner
posted 08-25-2006 07:37:54 PM
quote:
Bloodsage's fortune cookie read:
You do know the difference between something that might cause an elevated heart rate and something that might cause someone one to go postal?

Right?

Additionally, all of these "physical effects" are exactly the same ones that happen as a result of a good book, or a good movie, or any of a hundred or so other experiences. The fact remains that there is no proven link between violent video games and antisocial behavior in otherwise normal children.

I do believe I mentioned mental links, such as aggression and hostility testing. I do believe I also mentioned that I see the games as not being much different than competitive sports, which have also shown the same signs in studies. I do believe I mentioned the studies go both ways too.

I'm on your side here. I'm simply stating that there are plenty of studies, which do go both ways. I'm not sure how you of all people on this board can simply discount all studies on the subect for no apparent reason, other than your own opinion.

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 08-25-2006 07:48:43 PM
Damn you Space Invaders!
Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 08-25-2006 07:54:41 PM
So Ms Pac Man is the cause of my rage and violence towards people who act like complete knotheads? Of course! It all makes sense now!
Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Maradon!
posted 08-25-2006 08:25:01 PM
quote:
x--AnakhaO-('-'Q) :
Thank you Mod, for the obligatory leftist comment.

Actually, I agree with Mod entirely.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 08-25-2006 08:42:30 PM
My first inclination whenever I see any blue people is to eat them.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-25-2006 08:53:35 PM
Did anyone else find it odd that Ms. Pac-Man was actually less violent than regular Pac-Man?
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Skaw
posted 08-25-2006 11:15:12 PM
The bow causes -0.4% Violentity*.

If anything, Pacman influences you to be an obese fat ass.

*made up word.

Mod
Pancake
posted 08-26-2006 04:06:04 AM
quote:
Bloodsage painfully thought these words up:
So why are we trying to quantify something that, according to current studies, doesn't really have an impact on anything sociologically?

Yes, that's exactly it. I don't believe in the causal link you speak of either, but the article criticized the study for not going by what most people find objectionable instead of their aggression / time method. For purposes of research into the existence of such a link, a metric like this is more useful than the method suggested by the writer of that article.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-26-2006 06:25:00 AM
quote:
Anakha said this about your mom:

You stopped reading his post at his username, didn't you?

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-26-2006 08:00:39 AM
quote:
Quoth Mod:
Yes, that's exactly it. I don't believe in the causal link you speak of either, but the article criticized the study for not going by what most people find objectionable instead of their aggression / time method. For purposes of research into the existence of such a link, a metric like this is more useful than the method suggested by the writer of that article.

Except that there's no need to define the "violence level" of a game until a link between certain video games and anti-social behavior in normal children is found. First one establishes the link, then one discovers the causal factor.

All this does is contribute to the hype and alarmism by presupposing that "violence," however defined, in games is somehow bad.

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-26-2006 09:47:57 AM
Wait a sec...

I thought Pac-man and Ms. Pac-man were the same damn game except for the sprite used for Pac-man.

Willias fucked around with this message on 08-26-2006 at 09:48 AM.

Sean
posted 08-26-2006 09:50:48 AM
quote:
Willias had this to say about Punky Brewster:
Wait a sec...

I thought Pac-man and Ms. Pac-man were the same damn game except for the sprite used for Pac-man.

Ms. Pac-Man has to stop every other level and ask for directions.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 08-26-2006 09:51:45 AM
quote:
Sean spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Ms. Pac-Man has to stop every other level and ask for directions.

This is gold right here.

Skaw
posted 08-26-2006 12:25:41 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about dark elf butts:
All this does is contribute to the hype and alarmism by presupposing that "violence," however defined, in games is somehow bad.

Soon, smashing blocks will be a hot topic as to a future increase in property destruction/vandalism.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: