EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Our two favorite topics: religion and politics
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 08-25-2006 03:01:05 PM
A Pew Forum survey showing how people feel about religion and politics.

Long article, but what's the conclusion? Well, there are none. It's just a ton of interesting information.

I thought it was interesting that full 69% thought that the Democrats' fighting of relgious influence in government was a bad thing. I mean, that's pretty fucked up.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-25-2006 06:24:23 PM
Even Conservatives should be fighting against religious influence in government. I hate to bring up Godwin's Law, but while religious influence in government can mean something like your side getting more power, it will more often result in your side getting a heaping helping of government-sanctioned persecution.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 08-25-2006 07:25:57 PM
Where did they find a secular group that wanted the bible to affect american law? 7 percent?
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Maradon!
posted 08-25-2006 08:35:15 PM
If the government was run according to the constitution the issue of religion in politics would be moot, because the government wouldn't be doing anything but providing for the common defense and running the supreme courts.
Mod
Pancake
posted 08-26-2006 04:17:02 AM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper had this to say about (_|_):
Where did they find a secular group that wanted the bible to affect american law? 7 percent?

Possibly people who believe that majority opinion should hold more power in government than constitutional principles, people who do not believe in the divinity of the bible but believe that government should be run according to the moral principles laid out within it or people filling out the survey jokingly.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 08-27-2006 04:13:35 AM
Such gems like abandoning completely anyone who isn't cirumcised. Gen 17:14.

Like we really need a religious text to tell us that killing people is wrong.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-27-2006 05:32:07 AM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper's account was hax0red to write:
Such gems like abandoning completely anyone who isn't cirumcised. Gen 17:14.

Like we really need a religious text to tell us that killing people is wrong.

At the time, we did. It's possible that you could make the argument that objective morality, while possible now, couldn't be so without religion introducing the idea and safeguarding it throughout the centuries.

By the way, we Catholics don't take the Bible literally

Elvish Crack Piper
posted 08-27-2006 11:27:24 AM
I have much less issue with modern catholic's than with modern day fundamentalist sects of christianity. Legislating religious laws is, at the least, a violation of both the written constitution and the spirit of what our country was founded on.

Nearly every religion in the history of mankind, as well as non-theistic philosophy that doubles as a religion (Buddism and Confusinism) has laws against killing

While religion in general was at the idea was housed in some places, christianity being no exception, that law was conviently ignored as soon as the israelites wanted something, conviently through an order from god.

The bible has no problem with killing hundreds of thousands of people, of atrocities like the global flood, of the plauges on egypt, of davids betrayal of his soldier, of numerous orders to kill little kids and pregnant women and to keep all the virgin girls to get passed to the priests and soldiers.

Do as I say and not as I do? You can't take the bible literally and have "Thou Shalt Not Kill" be taken seriously.

I like the modern catholic outlook, its better than the alternative we have seen in the US, with thousans upon thousands (32800 approx last census) of tiny sects spreading a conflicting message to one an other. With catholics you can get a much straiter story, religious preferences nonwithstanding.

I just don't want the bible legislated. I don't care what anyone else does on sunday, I don't care what you believe in as it doesnt affect me. When the religious right takes it upon themselves to say that they have all the morals in an anchient religious texts full of dozens of silly laws with the ones than every civilization on earth ascribes too, is when I get irritated and start writing stupid posts like this one. I'd say most humans are apathetic on a subject till it affects them. Catholics seem much less evangelical and legislatively bent (outside oregons euthanasia laws) as far as I am aware.

Question, as I have much less knowledge on catholicism in general(and don't want to test the reaction of attending on-board cathetism(sp?) classes on board ship yet) Why don't you guys take the bible literally? I can't imagine it has always been this way? If it is a change, when was it approximatly (One of the counciles in the 3rd-8th century? Like Nicea, where they chose the acceptable books)

Thank you

Elvish Crack Piper fucked around with this message on 08-27-2006 at 11:28 AM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: