EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Company of Heroes Discussion
nem-x
posted 08-25-2006 11:04:18 AM
Has anyone heard about this WW2 fps?

oh wai

stolen from sa
Company of Heroes (CoH for short) is a Real Time Strategy game for the PC, first announced on April 25 2005. It is being developed by the RTS veteran, Canadian based developer, Relic Entertainment, and published by THQ.

Story
Company of Heroes is set during World War II where the player follows a fictional military unit, known as Able Company, as they fight their way through some of the greatest and bloodiest battles of World War II in the European theatre, including the D-Day landings at Normandy.

The developers have taken "creative liberties" with level design so the missions will fit better into the game. Objectives and town design will not be entirely accurate.

Gameplay
The game allows for multiplayer matches of 2 - 8 players via LAN or the Internet. Multiplayer will focus on teamwork as teams will share resouces and "sectors." However further details on the multiplayer component are scarce with Relic designers merely stating that they are currently fine-tuning and polishing the multiplayer experience.

Company of Heroes also boasts a movie editor where you can save clips of the game in action then edit it to make your own World War II action movies.

Resources
Company of Heroes, in keeping with past Relic trends, attempts to revolutionize the RTS genre by introducing changes to the traditional resource model, eliminating as much micro-management as possible expanding on concepts from previous games and creating a more strategic and action-oriented RTS experience.

As such, the resource model found in Company of Heroes is similar to that of another Relic game, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War. This design sees players taking control of certain points on the map. The more of these points the player controls, the more resources they generate. This forces players to constantly expand their territory instead of "turtling up". This allows both the battling and the resource-collecting to occur without seperate micromanagement. The majority of RTS games depend on this formula.

Players will collect three resources through this system: Fuel, Munitions, and Manpower. Fuel will allow you to buy tanks and other vehicles.

Units
Company of Heroes will contain a variety of units ranging from tanks to footmen. Specifications have been given on the Allied units, but information concerning the Axis' units has yet to be released.

The Allies will have access to standard riflemen who will be equiped with M1 Garands and may also be equipped with grenades, sticky bombs, or a Browning Automatic Rifle. Allied engineers can repair vehicles, plant bombs, and can be equipped with a flamethrower and minesweeper. Other Allied units include snipers, mortar teams, machine gun teams, and M4 Sherman Tanks.

Taking a cue from Dawn of War, units in CoH will be have the ability to seek out cover without orders from the player to give them an advantage over enemy forces. Units hiding in cover gain a defense bonus, making them more effective in combat. Utilizing cover effectively in CoH is essential to victory. The advanced AI will also be aware of it surroundings and reacts realistically in certain situations.

Because CoH features a physics engine, different types of cover will be more effective against certain units. A gravestone, for example, will provide fairly good cover against riflemen, while the same gravestone can be easily crushed or destroyed by a tank or mortar teams.

Graphics
Company of Heroes is the first game to make use of Relic's next generation engine, known as the "Essence Engine". This engine was designed and coded from scratch by Relic in order to make use of all next-generation graphical effects, including High Dynamic Range lighting, dynamic lighting & shadows, advanced shader effects and normal mapping. As designer John Johnson puts it "we will have every advanced graphical effect you'd expect from a game like Half-Life 2, and more."

Using the Essence Engine allows CoH to be rendered in complete 3D with exceptional detail on the infantry, vehicles and structures while retaining a solid frame-rate without the need for a high end gaming PC. There are said to be nearly 2,000 different animations for a basic infantry unit alone.

Company of Heroes also makes use of the Havok 3 Physics Engine, which allows CoH to accurately depict the physics of every in-game object. Certain parts of buildings can be blown up by grenades or mortars while tanks can simply plow though sections of walls. Because of the Havok Physics Engine, the smoke from the explosion, dirt, and building rubble will behave as realistically as possible. Smoke will billow as if it is being blown around by wind, muddy dirt will shower troops, and rubble will bounce and roll with accurate weight
------------------------------

Single player torrent contains one and a half missions, and also includes the entire tutorial.
http://reliccommunity.com/tracker/torrents/CoH_demo.exe.torrent

The multiplayer beta is restricted to people who were already in the beta, or have pre-ordered the game from ebgames.com. The way multiplayer works is that everyone shares resource points so your entire team has the same income.

There's also three different branches with two sub-branches you can pick each game that give you different abilities with exp you get with each kill/death/capture etc. I've never played advanced wars, but its supposed to be something like picking a CO. Stuff like sending in paratroopers, doing strafe/bombing runs, creating super special tanks, or different types of artillery calling or rocket barrages. I personally like the allied airborne branch because you can drop troops, anti tank cannons, mortars, and heavy machine guns anywhere on the map where you have vision without having to send them from your base.

And here's a picture of a sniper hitting a nazi in the head

Steven Steve
posted 08-25-2006 11:06:09 AM
It looks like Full Spectrum Warrior
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 08-25-2006 02:28:15 PM
Looks like fun.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-25-2006 02:36:29 PM
Another WWII game. Hooray. I'm jumping for joy.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
nem-x
posted 08-25-2006 02:55:47 PM
To be honest, this is actually a good game. I'm actually buying it. WITH MONEY.

Seriously, download the single player demo. It's pure awesome how the cg cutscenes just merge with the game cutscenes leaving you wondering where it switched. Combat is intense and there really is no 'zerging'.

Steven Steve
posted 08-25-2006 03:00:10 PM
Do units actually die in a reasonable amount of time/hits? (1-2 seconds or hits rather than 5?)
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Blackened
posted 08-25-2006 04:03:45 PM
This looks awesome, I'm definitely going to play it.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Mod
Pancake
posted 08-25-2006 04:34:12 PM
The mechanics sound fun but the utterly generic Band of Brothers themes to games need to stop.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-25-2006 04:52:53 PM
quote:
Densetsu probably says this to all the girls:
Another WWII game. Hooray. I'm jumping for joy.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Blackened
posted 08-25-2006 06:37:49 PM
"Another WW2 game". Hah, shut the fuck up. You act like that's all that's coming out these days and there's nothing else on the market to play.

Take your baseless, pointless thread-shitting somewhere else.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-25-2006 06:43:27 PM
Looks like a WW2 mod for Dawn of War.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-25-2006 06:47:49 PM
Is it an FPS or an RTS? Your caption says FPS, but the description and the sreenshots say RTS.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Steven Steve
posted 08-25-2006 07:57:30 PM
quote:
Blackened's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
"Another WW2 game". Hah, shut the fuck up. You act like that's all that's coming out these days and there's nothing else on the market to play.

Perhaps I could interest you in Mary Kate & Ashley: Crush Course or Tiger Woods '06?

Blackened
posted 08-25-2006 08:05:51 PM
quote:
Stalwart Steve.
Perhaps I could interest you in Mary Kate & Ashley: Crush Course or Tiger Woods '06?
Tiger Woods can do no wrong.

Mod
Pancake
posted 08-26-2006 04:09:00 AM
quote:
Bloodsage enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Is it an FPS or an RTS? Your caption says FPS, but the description and the sreenshots say RTS.

RTS.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 08-26-2006 07:14:53 AM
I want to see some science fiction skins for these WWII games. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that in some ways these games are pushing ideas forward that can/should be applied to their respective genres (FPS, RTS, etc). I, however, went through my "WWII is cool" period three years ago. Read a bunch of books, learned what all the weapons and vehicles of note were, etc.

But I knew the love affair with WWII as entertainment ended when I seriously considered buying a PSX game where they're retelling WWII with the addition of...bipedal tank-sized mechs.

WWII games are turning into the Pokemon games...there's an endless supply of them, they tell much the same story, and for some insane reason you just gotta grab 'em all.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Zaeron
Pancake
posted 08-26-2006 10:46:53 AM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael attempted to be funny by writing:
I want to see some science fiction skins for these WWII games. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that in some ways these games are pushing ideas forward that can/should be applied to their respective genres (FPS, RTS, etc). I, however, went through my "WWII is cool" period three years ago. Read a bunch of books, learned what all the weapons and vehicles of note were, etc.

But I knew the love affair with WWII as entertainment ended when I seriously considered buying a PSX game where they're retelling WWII with the addition of...bipedal tank-sized mechs.

WWII games are turning into the Pokemon games...there's an endless supply of them, they tell much the same story, and for some insane reason you just gotta grab 'em all.

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War and the expansion pack were done by the same team and have many of the same trademark features. And were very, very sci-fi.

I think there's room for a WW2 RTS, simply because I've never really seen one do the thing justice. I suppose the Close Combat series was similar, but not really a traditional RTS.

While CoH won't be a 'traditional' RTS either, it's closer to the model.

Sean
posted 08-26-2006 10:52:54 AM
Soldiers: Heroes of WW2 was a pretty good (shoot yourself in the balls-hard) WW2 RTS. Had some nice (balls-shooting hard) cooperative play.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 08-26-2006 10:58:37 AM
The Commandos games were really good too, but also not really a typical RTS.
Sean
posted 08-26-2006 10:59:51 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Arttemis!
The Commandos games were really good too, but also not really a typical RTS.

Those are the games I was thinking of.

Soldiers is like Commandos, but NEXT GEN! (better mechanics, units, etc. Lot more polish.)

Mod
Pancake
posted 08-26-2006 11:23:58 AM
The graphics are really dated now, but Sudden Strike and the sequel were great RTS games set in WW2, although not in the traditional base-building game sense. You usually had a limited amount of units per level you had to make due with. Support assets like fuel or artillery had to be captured from the enemy in most cases rather than built. Tanks would run out of ammo and fuel and would break down and become immobilized beyond a certain amount of damage. Trying to resupply and rescue your broken-down units from hostile territory made for great gameplay moments due to the fact that you couldn't always just build new ones.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-26-2006 11:37:31 AM
quote:
I suppose the same could be said of all Blackeneds...

Boohoo?

Ohnoes! I think a genre that you still orgasm over is old and busted! I DON'T LIKE SOMETHING YOU LIKE! AHHHHHH!

Get over it.

Edit: Mmm. Eggs.

Densetsu fucked around with this message on 08-26-2006 at 11:38 AM.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 08-26-2006 01:43:11 PM
They've basically taken the wonderful mechanics out of Dawn of War and further refined and polished them. You could slap a SciFi, fantasy, or any other skin on top of this thing, it'd still be fun because the gameplay mechanics are really sound.

I really like the way you can use your experience points to specialize in certain areas like mass infantry or armor. So far it looks like co-ordinating your upgrade paths with teammates in multiplayer so that they complement each other is going to be really cool.

I think the only annoyance I've ran across so far is that all multiplayer games are Axis vs. Allies only. There are no free for all games, if you have more than two players, they have to be allied to one team or the other.

-H

Blackened
posted 08-26-2006 01:45:34 PM
quote:
Densetsu.
Boohoo?

Ohnoes! I think a genre that you still orgasm over is old and busted! I DON'T LIKE SOMETHING YOU LIKE! AHHHHHH!

Get over it.

It's not that you don't like something I like, you faggot. It's more that you have to be the biggest pretenious asshole to come into a thread and talk bad about a game because of it's setting and you've yet to even play it. Don't you know how stupid that makes you look?

In fact, on top of making you look like King Douche, it's also makes you look like you're clearly attempting to troll. Maybe you should shut your ugly mouth and just keep clear of this thread and all WW2 threads from now until forever since you clearly have nothing constructive to say.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-26-2006 01:55:34 PM
quote:
Blackened got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
It's not that you don't like something I like, you faggot. It's more that you have to be the biggest pretenious asshole to come into a thread and talk bad about a game because of it's setting and you've yet to even play it. Don't you know how stupid that makes you look?

In fact, on top of making you look like King Douche, it's also makes you look like you're clearly attempting to troll. Maybe you should shut your ugly mouth and just keep clear of this thread and all WW2 threads from now until forever since you clearly have nothing constructive to say.

Technically you look like the douche. No less than either of them, anyways.

Who cares if it's a good game or not? There are sixty billion WWII games released per second. This is just another one.

Blackened
posted 08-26-2006 02:18:50 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan.
Technically you look like the douche. No less than either of them, anyways.
I guess that makes you look like a douche also since you're throwing your opinion into this argument. At least, that seems to be all you need do to be labeled as such.

And clearly, more than a few of us care if this is going to be a good game or not. Or do you have a personal vendetta against WWII setting games, as well?

Blackened fucked around with this message on 08-26-2006 at 02:21 PM.

nem-x
posted 08-26-2006 02:20:38 PM
I guess the game should have used wizards and orcs and goblins or something instead of world war 2.

There isn't much to base building because this is all there is to build in terms of unit production/upgrades.

There are however a lot of various defenses your engineers can build such as tank traps, barbed wires, and machine gun bunkers to build forward outposts. My partner set up a nice base in the middle of the map. It's usually not a good idea to clump so much together, as it can all be taken out with artillery. But since I captured the northern areas and set up defenses there, our team controls 4 out of the 5 fuel capture points. Fuel is needed for the more advanced stuff like tanks.

Units you produce usually contain 3 to 6 people. You control the group like you would one person in any other rts, except they have their own AI to do their own thing within limits of what you order them to do. Individual people can get killed off, and they also have health. If one of these AT gunners die, the third guy with the rifle will take his spot. If all of them die, the AT gun will actually just stay there on the map. I can man the gun with other infantry if I wanted to if it wasn't destroyed. Other weapons such as mortars, heavy machine guns, and rocket launchers work the same way.

Reload animations for everything actually depict the time it takes for the unit to fire again. Stationary weapons have a cone of fire that you can see when you place/move them around, so it's easy to flank stuff and take no losses if you kill them in time.

My partner set up a nice base that won't be broken through, and since I picked the Infantry branch, I can build 105mm howitzers that have a range of half the map without having to worry about them being destroyed.

Here's a ranger that I left behind to die while I retreated. Notice that I have 4 out of my 6 rangers left in the unit, and that blue bar represents the health of them.

Steven Steve
posted 08-26-2006 03:09:11 PM
quote:
Blackened had this to say about Pirotess:
I guess that makes you look like a douche also since you're throwing your opinion into this argument. At least, that seems to be all you need do to be labeled as such.

And clearly, more than a few of us care if this is going to be a good game or not. Or do you have a personal vendetta against WWII setting games, as well?

No, it goes like this: no one even cares enough to think of some other topic to write games around than World War 2 so they just take Dawn of War and repackage it as Company of Heroes so people like you can buy it. Also, I don't think you have the right to call someone's mouth "ugly," braceface.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-26-2006 03:16:01 PM
quote:
Blackened had this to say about Cuba:

But haven't we played this game like six hundred times five times before?

Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 08-26-2006 03:23:00 PM
I've been hearing about this for a while, and while it being a WWII game, its not one of the Red Medal of Call of Band of Brothers, Duty, and Honor Orchesta games that are old hat. The graphics from some of the screenshots are amazing. I could pick out different members of a squad all clambering over this truck, leveling rifles at the germans across this town square. Each squad member looked truly different, i could see the detail.

Anyway, can you upgrade specific units, a la Dawn of War? And how big is the demo?

"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
Blackened
posted 08-26-2006 03:43:42 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan.
But haven't we played this game like six hundred times five times before?
You can apply that to any game setting. WW2 is a popular setting for a game because it's convieniant and dramatic. But then, what about all the swords and magic games? Sci-fi space games? Urban settings military games? Futuristic mech games? The list goes on.

Face it, you don't really have anything to stand on when you come into this thread and say "Urgghhh, another world war two game!". All you're intending is to just be a jackass and shit the thread up.

nem-x
posted 08-26-2006 04:21:37 PM
The demo is like 1.5 gigs and needs 1gig of ram in order to start.

Upgrades make your units able to use different abilities like toss grenades or use machine guns. There's also unit experience where they gain ranks for killing and get bonuses such as an increase in health or accuracy. German snipers can get off an extra fast shot at rank 3 while allied snipers get increased range.

I've never played Dawn of War, but combat is a lot different than other RTS's where you just let auto attack do its thing. Like when facing an engineer squad with flamethrowers, you have to constantly move your units to keep your distance or they'll torch you easily. Or when trying to move around to the back of a tank to toss a sticky bomb. There's also modular damage for vehicles where you can damage the engine, the main guns, or the gunner/crew.

PC Gamer gave the game a 96%. Also Steve Blum does a lot of voice acting for the game.

Sean
posted 08-26-2006 04:25:15 PM
quote:
nem-x had this to say about Tron:
Also Steve Blum does a lot of voice acting for the game.

SOLD!

He was also the hardware store psycho in Dead Rising.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-26-2006 04:33:47 PM
quote:
Blackened had this to say about Captain Planet:
You can apply that to any game setting. WW2 is a popular setting for a game because it's convieniant and dramatic. But then, what about all the swords and magic games? Sci-fi space games? Urban settings military games? Futuristic mech games? The list goes on.

Face it, you don't really have anything to stand on when you come into this thread and say "Urgghhh, another world war two game!". All you're intending is to just be a jackass and shit the thread up.

Of course, there's nothing original left in the world, but at least every other game is superficially different. Yes, we've played WWII a thousand different times. It never changes.

You're just upset and trying to use the edgy devil-may-care attitude that made you a media darling to try and get all uppity about it. Don't sweat, relax

Let life roll off your backs,
Except for death and paying taxes,
Everything in life,
Is
Only
For
Now

Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 08-26-2006 04:34:28 PM
Steve Blum was in Call of Duty as well.
"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-26-2006 04:36:07 PM
quote:
Anakha wrote this then went back to looking for porn:
Steve Blum was in Call of Duty as well.

NEWSFLASH STEVEN BLUM IS IN EVERYTHING

In the future, all voice roles will be played by Steven Blum. Eventually, every movie will be retroactively engineered so that Steven Blum's voice is recorded over the regular lines.

Zaile Ghostmaker
You've gotta remember, I'm an EverQuest character.
posted 08-26-2006 04:41:31 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Mr. Parcelan:
NEWSFLASH STEVEN BLUM IS IN EVERYTHING

In the future, all voice roles will be played by Steven Blum. Eventually, every movie will be retroactively engineered so that Steven Blum's voice is recorded over the regular lines.

That's going to make for some very disturbing porn...

I find that most problems can be solved by excessive violence.

It is held in thought
only by the understanding
of the Wind.

Blackened
posted 08-26-2006 04:42:19 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan.
Let life roll off your backs,
Except for death and paying taxes,
Everything in life,
Is
Only
For
Now

That's rich

COMING FROM A DEAD MAN

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-26-2006 04:55:28 PM
While WW2 FPS are common as dirt and overdone, RTS is another story altogether.
Mod
Pancake
posted 08-26-2006 05:28:20 PM
It's not that it's a WW2 game really, it's that they apparently got really lazy with the setting by reusing the most overdone part of WW2 and slapped a name that just screams 'generic' onto it. This is the historical equivalent of "Magic Swords: Crystal Quest", in which a naive young hero goes into the world to collect the four pieces of the divine prism, which are the only means to imprison the ancient evil threatening the land. A game about the Ostfront, Asia, Africa or pretty much any part of WW2 that does not involve D-Day would have gotten a different reaction, this way the first thing in many people's minds was "Fuck Omaha Beach".

Mod fucked around with this message on 08-26-2006 at 05:31 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: