EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: So I'm returning to WoW...
Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-23-2006 05:26:31 PM
...and I'm thinking I'd like to play a Rogue. Yeah, I brought this up before, immediately prior to switching to EQII. Since then, Rogues have had their talent review and I'm somewhat at a loss as to what I should go with in spec. This is what I'm thinking of primarily and it's similar to what was presented by others months ago. However, Subtlety has undergone significant changes and now has some neat looking things in it. Has anyone got anything to suggest?
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 08-23-2006 05:38:19 PM
Eh. Subtlety isn't all that great. Your build is okay, though I think Agression is sort of pointless without taking Improved Eviscerate as well. I don't know much about Mace builds so that's about all I can say.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-23-2006 05:38:31 PM
Why do you have mace and weapon expertise?
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 08-23-2006 05:39:28 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Matthew Broderick:

I'm guessing he wants to be a stunlock rogue

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-23-2006 05:42:41 PM
So that means he needs mace's which weapon expertise dosn't help with.
Sean
posted 08-23-2006 05:47:56 PM
Stunlock Rogues do not use maces. Stunlock solo gank Rogues use swords with a heavy Subtlety build, which you do not have a single point in.

Your build is about as shitty as they come, next to PVE Hemo.

Learn from this. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=yhxbovzZhZxMgochRR

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-23-2006 06:42:58 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about dark elf butts:

Assuming Human Rogue: Level 60 Character that has the combat capability of a level 62?

Same reson I went Sword Spec + Weapon Expertise for now. One of the other Rogues in my guild is 1 point short of fighting as a level 63 (which means he stands a good chance of beating me in DPS now)

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 08-23-2006 06:47:11 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Assuming Human Rogue: Level 60 Character that has the combat capability of a level 62?

Same reson I went Sword Spec + Weapon Expertise for now. One of the other Rogues in my guild is 1 point short of fighting as a level 63 (which means he stands a good chance of beating me in DPS now)

yes okay, but in the end it's only really useful when you're in a top end raiding guild.. rather then just starting out.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-23-2006 06:48:33 PM
With the +5 Swords I didn't bother fighting anything that wasn't at least 2 levels higher than me leveling up.

If I had +10 swords (or mace) I'd have sped up leveling some by fighting things at a minimal 3 levels up.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-23-2006 07:00:54 PM
quote:
Azymyth had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Eh. Subtlety isn't all that great. Your build is okay, though I think Agression is sort of pointless without taking Improved Eviscerate as well. I don't know much about Mace builds so that's about all I can say.

I figured Improved Eviscerate would work better on a crit build, which is not what I'm going for. Aggression helps with the SS spam inherent in a combat build, though.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-23-2006 07:04:18 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
So that means he needs mace's which weapon expertise dosn't help with.

Humans have a +5 to maces and +5 swords as racial abilities. Weapon Expertise adds 5 more to swords and Mace Specialization adds 5 more to maces in addition to a 5% chance to stun. What I had planned to do endgame was to have a mace in the main hand and a sword in the off-hand to get the best of both worlds.

Edit: Perhaps a minor revision to this would be prudent. I hadn't noticed that Relentless Strikes no longer required Ruthlessness.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 08-23-2006 at 07:06 PM.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 08-23-2006 07:09:02 PM
quote:
Damnati stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Humans have a +5 to maces and +5 swords as racial abilities. Weapon Expertise adds 5 more to swords and Mace Specialization adds 5 more to maces in addition to a 5% chance to stun. What I had planned to do endgame was to have a mace in the main hand and a sword in the off-hand to get the best of both worlds.

Waste of 5 talent points that I'm sure could be better used elsewhere.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-23-2006 07:09:26 PM
quote:
Sean got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Stunlock Rogues do not use maces. Stunlock solo gank Rogues use swords with a heavy Subtlety build, which you do not have a single point in.

Your build is about as shitty as they come, next to PVE Hemo.

Learn from this. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=yhxbovzZhZxMgochRR

Is this something meant as a bad example or your idea of a good build. By all appearances, it's the very Hemo build you disparage.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-23-2006 07:15:41 PM
quote:
Taeldian had this to say about Knight Rider:

I'm open to suggestions as to where they could be spent better. I figured the chance to stun would be handy in soloing, which I do a lot, and PvP. I'm not too sure where else would be good as I don't know a damned thing about playing a rogue.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-23-2006 07:18:45 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Taeldian:

I dunno... If I ever got Servo Arms I'd drop Sword Spec for Mace Spec in a nano-second. Jumping from 305 (Human) to 315 Mace Skill is pretty big both in terms of actually hitting the mob and reducing the 'glancing' hits.

Same reason you want +hit% gear for end-game raiding.

Flea
Pancake
posted 08-23-2006 07:35:58 PM
+weapon skill is useless compared to actual stats when you hit 310 weapon skill. Anymore and you'll hit/crit more, sure, but the reduction of damage lost from glancing blows against a 63 will be 0, which means instead of losing 30% of your damage from white hits 40% of the time, you'll lose 0% of your damage from white hits 40% of the time (you'll still glance, and glancing can't crit).
Addy
posted 08-23-2006 08:01:26 PM
Just use a standard 20/31 build if you're doing maces.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/rogue/talents.ht ml?305303105000000320055010005510003100000000000000000

You can probably sacrifice some of that improved SND for filler combat talents like improved kick or sprint to make it a little more PVP friendly.

And Sean specifically stated PVE, Hemo is quite viable in PVP for stunlocking/control.

Addy fucked around with this message on 08-23-2006 at 08:02 PM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-23-2006 08:18:47 PM
What does a good sword spec look like? I like the idea of mace spec and all, but I recall that it doesn't proc that often and is subject to diminishing returns anyhow. I also seem to recall that sword rogues do some of the best damage.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-23-2006 08:21:12 PM
quote:
Damnati attempted to be funny by writing:
What does a good sword spec look like? I like the idea of mace spec and all, but I recall that it doesn't proc that often and is subject to diminishing returns anyhow. I also seem to recall that sword rogues do some of the best damage.

Random procs (i.e. blackout, impact, and mace spec) are not subject to diminishing returns.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-23-2006 08:23:23 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Pirotess:
Random procs (i.e. blackout, impact, and mace spec) are not subject to diminishing returns.

Oh, well then. I think they had just added diminishing returns not long before I quit and it was on there then. Guess they've changed it since then. Thanks.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 08-23-2006 08:38:07 PM
quote:
Naimah spewed forth this undeniable truth:

Neither is the stun from Improved Revenge, remember that one off the top of my head

Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-23-2006 10:41:56 PM
In addition to my request for a good sword Rogue spec, does anyone know of a mod comprable to this one? The only ones I can find are drag-and-drop types that don't track stuff in the bank.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 08-24-2006 12:45:39 AM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator had this to say about Tron:
I dunno... If I ever got Servo Arms I'd drop Sword Spec for Mace Spec in a nano-second. Jumping from 305 (Human) to 315 Mace Skill is pretty big both in terms of actually hitting the mob and reducing the 'glancing' hits.

Same reason you want +hit% gear for end-game raiding.

Weapon skill only reduces glances up to 310, and it's also not the same reason you want +hit gear for end-game raiding since +hit doesn't affect glancing blows. The actual +hit bonus from skill is fairly low.

This is all moot, though, given the fact that Weapon Expertise doesn't actually affect maces. Even if it did, it would give him more than he needed.

I just barely noticed that weapon expertise is only two points, so it's not actually as big of a waste as I thought it was. It's still a waste, but it's not as big of one.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-24-2006 12:54:53 AM
quote:
Taeldian had this to say about (_|_):
Weapon skill only reduces glances up to 310, and it's also not the same reason you want +hit gear for end-game raiding since +hit doesn't affect glancing blows. The actual +hit bonus from skill is fairly low.

This is all moot, though, given the fact that Weapon Expertise doesn't actually affect maces. Even if it did, it would give him more than he needed.

I just barely noticed that weapon expertise is only two points, so it's not actually as big of a waste as I thought it was. It's still a waste, but it's not as big of one.

The idea would be to have a mace in the main hand and sword in the off-hand. It's not much of waste that way. No real reason to use two maces if one can find a good off-hand sword since mace spec procs only on the main hand.

Sean
posted 08-24-2006 12:55:38 AM
quote:
Did they say why, Damnati, why they want you to terminate my command?
The idea would be to have a mace in the main hand and sword in the off-hand. It's not much of waste that way. No real reason to use two maces if one can find a good off-hand sword since mace spec procs only on the main hand.

. . .

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 08-24-2006 11:09:49 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Damnati said:
since mace spec procs only on the main hand.

So, uh, when was this change made again?

Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-24-2006 11:31:54 AM
quote:
Vorago wrote this stupid crap:
So, uh, when was this change made again?

When was it changed to be otherwise? When I still played, months ago, this was the case for all the rogues I knew.

Edit: if I recall correctly, Sword Specialization for Warriors and for Rogues worked the same way.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 08-24-2006 at 11:32 AM.

Addy
posted 08-24-2006 12:35:50 PM
Offhand can proc mace/sword spec. I believe if you proc sword spec with your offhand it causes your main hand to have the extra attack. Not 100% sure since I'm purely daggers but I seem to recall it working that way.

If you are mace specced you are just gimping yourself with a sword offhand. That stun is pretty underrated in pvp (and leveling pve, although sword > mace for that imo).

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 08-24-2006 01:58:47 PM
quote:
Addy's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Offhand can proc mace/sword spec. I believe if you proc sword spec with your offhand it causes your main hand to have the extra attack. Not 100% sure since I'm purely daggers but I seem to recall it working that way.

That's correct.

Stick with one weapon spec.

Sean
posted 08-24-2006 02:00:15 PM
quote:
Taeldian had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Stick with one weapon spec.

Anything but fists.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 08-24-2006 02:02:09 PM
quote:
Sean had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Anything but fists.

What's wrong with fists (besides itemization)?

Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-24-2006 02:37:24 PM
quote:
Taeldian had this to say about dark elf butts:
What's wrong with fists (besides itemization)?

You nailed it. The only decent fists in the game reqire Grand Marshal/High Warlord.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 08-24-2006 02:38:53 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Damnati was all like:
You nailed it. The only decent fists in the game reqire Grand Marshal/High Warlord.

Claw of the Black Drake, Silithid Claw

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 08-24-2006 02:40:09 PM
It's mostly because of itemization that Fist Weapons aren't an ideal specialization since the ones that are actually good are pretty much unavailable unless you're able to do high end raiding.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-24-2006 02:42:14 PM
quote:
Taeldian had this to say about (_|_):
Claw of the Black Drake, Silithid Claw

So there are four decent fists in the game, none of which are as readily obtainable as good swords, maces, or daggers.

Addy
posted 08-24-2006 04:38:05 PM
Silithid Claw is horrible for rogues due to its low dmg range, and there is no good offhand that complements Claw of the Black Drake till Sapphiron (lol).
Flea
Pancake
posted 08-24-2006 08:12:39 PM
I thought they made silithid claw 1 hand this patch instead of just MH, if they did, the CoTB/Claw combo is actually pretty nice for fist rogues.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: